Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

What can you claim for under business expenses

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I wore Dickies bib and brace dungeries for years. The Dickies logo is clearly visible. I had thought about changing our business name to Dickies. ?

I don't get my name put on my clothes and put them through tbh. If I was buying stuff from flannels and putting it through I'd see there point. When transactions are from work wear nation etc though. Your hardly going on there picking something for your night out at the weekend though. Embroidered or not, it should be pretty obvious what it's intended use is for.

An mp put through 2 pairs of personalised apple earbuds costing £270 a pair through her expenses and it was allowable. Just start firing through everything, if its good enough for them then it's good enough for us.
Don't forget that's MP's expenses are not on their tax returns to HMRC, they are the 'allowances' that they granted themselves! Very different circumstances, 1 rule for them another for us!!!
That said if you exclusively used the apple earbuds for business (i.e. taking calls while working) use then I can't see why you can't claim for them. Obviously you wouldn't have a use for the outside work!

That said I am not an accountant - my opinion won't hold up in an HMRC case! ?

Addidas gazzeles are very comfy and you can pel
Don't forget that's MP's expenses are not on their tax returns to HMRC, they are the 'allowances' that they granted themselves! Very different circumstances, 1 rule for them another for us!!!
That said if you exclusively used the apple earbuds for business (i.e. taking calls while working) use then I can't see why you can't claim for them. Obviously you wouldn't have a use for the outside work!

That said I am not an accountant - my opinion won't hold up in an HMRC case! ?

I know there not, was more showing the difference in how strict they seem to be in there rules with things for us like with trainers, although most of us do wear trainers solely for work hmrc says your no claiming them though as you could wesr them as everyday use. Im not sure if they have seen what a pair of trainers looks like after a week or 2 on the windows all black from the alliminum from the ladder, if it was a choice between going up the town wearing my work trainers or staying in the house then I'd stay in. You'd look like some hobo. So that's how strict they are with our expenses. Yet they allow themselfs personalised ear buds as a work expense so they don't have to pay for it.

Just because he puts it through it doesn't make it okay if they look into it. I put my trainers that I buy for work through too but reading there rules tells me if it gets looked into they won't allow it. That's why I asked above if embroidering them might work.
Bit of a pish take really, I wear trainers nearly all the time because I have issues with my feet with being on my feet all day, if I had to go for safety trainers they'd probably cause me issues because of the toe cap, I don't wear safety boots because of these issues I have tried them and returned them.

Bit of a pish take really, I wear trainers nearly all the time because I have issues with my feet with being on my feet all day, if I had to go for safety trainers they'd probably cause me issues because of the toe cap, I don't wear safety boots because of these issues I have tried them and returned them.
Honestly I'd take my chance worst case you've got to pay it back I'd assume you would have medical evidence.

I suffered with a bad shoulder and I asked the account if I could claim for it as it was only like that because of work they claimed if I had it assessed and they put it in writing I could claim either full amount or percentage.

I don't get my name put on my clothes and put them through tbh. If I was buying stuff from flannels and putting it through I'd see there point. When transactions are from work wear nation etc though. Your hardly going on there picking something for your night out at the weekend though. Embroidered or not, it should be pretty obvious what it's intended use is for.
True. After all, it's called self assessment. But what you believe can and should be a claimable business expense might not be how the tax man sees it.

You will only find out that the taxman's algorithms have flagged you up when you are informed you are being audited. I haven't seen any comments for people saying that the audit experience was enjoyable, and that they look forward to the next one.

Honestly I'd take my chance worst case you've got to pay it back I'd assume you would have medical evidence.

I suffered with a bad shoulder and I asked the account if I could claim for it as it was only like that because of work they claimed if I had it assessed and they put it in writing I could claim either full amount or percentage.
I don't go to the doctor at all unless absolutely necessary, I've been to the doctor once in 11 years because I absolutely needed to, I ain't sitting in a waiting room with germ-ridden ill people.

otherwise, with a shoulder injury, it's pointless if I needed physio treatment it would take weeks if not months through a doctor referral, and NHS physios don't like laying hands on you because of potential injury claims these were the words of an NHS physio years ago whom I used to go to for private treatment also far quicker to go private.

True. After all, it's called self assessment. But what you believe can and should be a claimable business expense might not be how the tax man sees it.

You will only find out that the taxman's algorithms have flagged you up when you are informed you are being audited. I haven't seen any comments for people saying that the audit experience was enjoyable, and that they look forward to the next one.
The taxmans algorithms need tweaking I know of a number of window cleaners and one in particular who hasn't declared his full earnings for over 30 years yet plenty will no doubt be getting away without declaring £1,000's of income every year, it happens on a daily basis with various trades but they don't ever seem to get caught,

also employing cash-in-hand lads who are probably getting paid less than minimum wage but they'll be happy because they are still getting benefits and sticking it to the man :rolleyes:

The taxmans algorithms need tweaking I know of a number of window cleaners and one in particular who hasn't declared his full earnings for over 30 years yet plenty will no doubt be getting away without declaring £1,000's of income every year, it happens on a daily basis with various trades but they don't ever seem to get caught,

also employing cash-in-hand lads who are probably getting paid less than minimum wage but they'll be happy because they are still getting benefits and sticking it to the man :rolleyes:

aslong as buisneses allow cash as a payment method then there's always going to be people not declaring income. Il not pretend that I'd be paying what I currently pay if it was still cash that was used for payments.

covid happening got customers who wanted to pay cash changing to bank payments. Almost all of mine is banks now. I'd imagine alot of people seen there round change payment wise during that. So that year hmrc must have been looking at ppls returns accross the board thinking the window cleanijg sector is booming. Once its in the bank then you'd need to be off your head to consider not declaring it.

aslong as buisneses allow cash as a payment method then there's always going to be people not declaring income. Il not pretend that I'd be paying what I currently pay if it was still cash that was used for payments.

covid happening got customers who wanted to pay cash changing to bank payments. Almost all of mine is banks now. I'd imagine alot of people seen there round change payment wise during that. So that year hmrc must have been looking at ppls returns accross the board thinking the window cleanijg sector is booming. Once its in the bank then you'd need to be off your head to consider not declaring it.
All a regional tax office has to do is look at let's say one window cleaner sole trader and compare it with another one if they aren't turning over a similar amount then something is wrong and at least warrants a little look into.

This can't be happening otherwise in the working class world people wouldn't come consider tax dodging acceptable.

One of my customers who knows me quite well said to me I'm the only business man he knows who doesn't like cash and puts everything through my books the others he says prefer cash and will openly say I don't want the tax man taking too much money off me, these people no doubt wouldn't walk into a shop a steal something because it's illegal and totally unacceptable to them but tax dodging is acceptable to them even though it's illegal

Many years ago my Mum ran a b&b and we had tax inspectors staying for a few months while they received training. They always said that investigations are costed, i.e. if the cost of the investigation wasn't covered by what they expected to be able to recover they didn't do them!
They can go back 7 years though so their costs might be easily recovered over that long period!

Many years ago my Mum ran a b&b and we had tax inspectors staying for a few months while they received training. They always said that investigations are costed, i.e. if the cost of the investigation wasn't covered by what they expected to be able to recover they didn't do them!
They can go back 7 years though so their costs might be easily recovered over that long period!
Does this mean I can still buy trainers ?

All a regional tax office has to do is look at let's say one window cleaner sole trader and compare it with another one if they aren't turning over a similar amount then something is wrong and at least warrants a little look into.

This can't be happening otherwise in the working class world people wouldn't come consider tax dodging acceptable.

One of my customers who knows me quite well said to me I'm the only business man he knows who doesn't like cash and puts everything through my books the others he says prefer cash and will openly say I don't want the tax man taking too much money off me, these people no doubt wouldn't walk into a shop a steal something because it's illegal and totally unacceptable to them but tax dodging is acceptable to them even though it's illegal

I couldn't go back to cash payments, the time spent collecting it added in with fuel and paying someone coming with me isn't worth the hassle to save paying money out elsewhere. When any new customer comes on the run I tell them bank transfers is the best option for them as it gives both of us a record of it, I tell them mistakes get made and through the years il have taken dbl money from customers that I shouldn't have as I've made a mistake marking all the stuff off and got some mixed up with who was due dbl. Without knowing that will have definitely happened. Online payment takes away any doubt that either myself or the customer has as its there for us both to see that leaves no doubt if it was paid or not.

And although there will be differences between the ones who still take cash as payments, knowing there at it is one thing, proving it is another. There's no actual physical evidence so unless they are living in a way that's way beyond what there income says, it's hard to get something to pin on them.

From a selfish point of view the quicker cash dies out and gets everyone paying for things via bank transfer the better. The ones who currently still take cash will have to raise there prices to offset it meaning people don't look at you as if your trying to Rob them because x y or z was doing it for a fiver so how can I want £10 and so on.

I had a VAT inspection in another business years ago the inspector was about to go he said well everything seems ok by the way can I have a look at your 2nd lot of books!! I replied what!! .
Then he said I was just checking your reaction as I have said it in the past and suddenly they produce another set!!!
The mind boggles

Does this mean I can still buy trainers ?
I am not offering tax advice here ;).
In my opinion if you only bought something for business use and don't use it for personal then I can't see a problem. If you where investigated you would be happy to justify the expenditure as a business expense - ok so they may disallow it but to me if I would be happy saying why I had claimed then I am happy to be corrected.
It's a bit like a van and just claiming it for business use. They could claim you could also use it for private use but if you don't then you have claimed correctly.

I am not offering tax advice here ;).
In my opinion if you only bought something for business use and don't use it for personal then I can't see a problem. If you where investigated you would be happy to justify the expenditure as a business expense - ok so they may disallow it but to me if I would be happy saying why I had claimed then I am happy to be corrected.
It's a bit like a van and just claiming it for business use. They could claim you could also use it for private use but if you don't then you have claimed correctly.
I spend more on footwear for work than I do for personal use because I can walk the soles flat within a few months direct comparison I have got trainers and boots with very little wear that I've had for years as I'm sure we all have,

My van is purely for business use just like everyone else's who doesn't go to the supermarket for their bate stuff before or after work and goes to the bakers or butchers for their dinner or one of those junk food drive-thru's as I never do any of this, honest guvnor

I spend more on footwear for work than I do for personal use because I can walk the soles flat within a few months direct comparison I have got trainers and boots with very little wear that I've had for years as I'm sure we all have,

My van is purely for business use just like everyone else's who doesn't go to the supermarket for their bate stuff before or after work and goes to the bakers or butchers for their dinner or one of those junk food drive-thru's as I never do any of this, honest guvnor

What trainers do you use for work. I've tried £30 pairs up to £180 pairs. Some can last 3 weeks and need replaced.

What trainers do you use for work. I've tried £30 pairs up to £180 pairs. Some can last 3 weeks and need replaced.
I previously rated Addidas Kandia but not anymore this year I opted to try Columbia Trailstorm which are waterproof due to an outer coating I bought my first pair in early May and comfort wise great, but the sole did start to wear so I opted for another pair as I really liked them I am still able to wear them for work now even though the sole has worn down a quite a bit,

I will most likely opt for Addidas Terrex in the future as I had a pair of the boots previously and the continental branded sole outlasts any others I've had

Back