Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

What can you claim for under business expenses

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Adda85

Just wondering what other things you can claim for in your tax return, I already claim for diesel, equipment, cleaner planner, phone credit, accountant and vehicle repairs but just wondering what other things you can claim for in your business expenses? Cheers!

Just wondering what other things you can claim for in your tax return, I already claim for diesel, equipment, cleaner planner, phone credit, accountant and vehicle repairs but just wondering what other things you can claim for in your business expenses? Cheers!

If you have sign written clothing you can claim that against tax. If you have plain clothing with no logo, then you can't claim anything.
You can claim steel toe cap boots. If you wear trainers you can't claim for those.
If you have a dedicated business office for your business operation, you can claim a portion of your gas and electric bill as well as household/builders insurance. I think there is an example on the receivers website.

Someone once advised not to claim a portion of your mortgage costs if you have one as the receiver could get involved if you profited from selling the house at some future time. But if you pay rent then you can claim a portion of that as a business expense.

We also claim extra electricity for washing cloths everyday and electricity for heating the van in winter.

You can also claim a portion of computer consumables, such as printer ink.

We also claim a small portion of the monthly land line phone and internet.

I claim 90% of my van running expenses against tax. The remaining 10% I class as private. This includes insurance, road fund licence and MOT.

I claim my full public liability insurance costs.

I have a £5 monthly phone contact with Lebara. I claim £4.50 of that against tax. I don't make many phone calls or send many texts. I have 5gb of internet access and only use a tiny portion of that.
We don't make landline calls anymore. Our telephone call savings more than pay for both our 'contracts.'

As Lebara to Lebara is free, phoning the wife or texting her doesn't cost anything.

Obviously if you buy any flowers for a bereraved customer, you can claim that.

If you have sign written clothing you can claim that against tax. If you have plain clothing with no logo, then you can't claim anything.
You can claim steel toe cap boots. If you wear trainers you can't claim for those.
If you have a dedicated business office for your business operation, you can claim a portion of your gas and electric bill as well as household/builders insurance. I think there is an example on the receivers website.

Someone once advised not to claim a portion of your mortgage costs if you have one as the receiver could get involved if you profited from selling the house at some future time. But if you pay rent then you can claim a portion of that as a business expense.

We also claim extra electricity for washing cloths everyday and electricity for heating the van in winter.

I claim 90% of my van running expenses against tax. The remaining 10% I class as private. This includes insurance, road fund licence and MOT.

I have a £5 monthly phone contact with Lebara. I claim £4.50 of that against tax. I don't make many phone calls or send many texts. I have 5gb of internet access and only use a tiny portion of that.
We don't make landline calls anymore. Our telephone call savings more than pay for both our 'contracts.'

As Lebara to Lebara is free, phoning the wife or texting her doesn't cost anything.

I buy trail running trainers every year and put them through I put everything through car waxes and detailing products the whole lot, basically anything that I use solely for my business and my van, my chartered accountant checks everything over.

If you have a dedicated office, spare room, in your house you can claim a percentage of your household bills
Gotta be a bit careful on that one & speak to account as you can claim for 10% for using a room dedicated to business use they can throw that 10% back at you as part of capital gains tax out of what you make when you sell the house, the feckers will try to rinse you any which way they can for a shilling ?

Gotta be a bit careful on that one & speak to account as you can claim for 10% for using a room dedicated to business use they can throw that 10% back at you as part of capital gains tax out of what you make when you sell the house, the feckers will try to rinse you any which way they can for a shilling ?
Only if you claim a percentage of your mortgage. If you have 7 rooms in your house, bedrooms, kitchen, lounge etc you can claim 14% of your household bills if you have 1 room as a dedicated office. You can’t if you have your work desk in a bedroom with a bed in it as it's still a bedroom

I think there is a set amount of £6 a week you can claim for 'working from home' which might be easier than working out a % of bills etc. You do need to check with an accountant though as sometimes the rules are open to interpretation.

Also according to hmrc u can only claim fuel expenses or car repairs not both. I know annoying. I chose fuel as it works out better

If you are WFP the water you use!

What if you put your logo on the trainers ? Embroidered into them? Would that make it taxable?.

I buy trail running trainers every year and put them through I put everything through car waxes and detailing products the whole lot, basically anything that I use solely for my business and my van, my chartered accountant checks everything over.

Just because he puts it through it doesn't make it okay if they look into it. I put my trainers that I buy for work through too but reading there rules tells me if it gets looked into they won't allow it. That's why I asked above if embroidering them might work.

An mp put through 2 pairs of personalised apple earbuds costing £270 a pair through her expenses and it was allowable. Just start firing through everything, if its good enough for them then it's good enough for us.

Latest Posts

Back