Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

What customer numbers is classed as good round

WCF

Help Support WCF:

If that’s what you want and your goal then I honestly wish you the very best. I’m really lucky and have my son full time with me we both just get on with without any of us giving a thought works great. But there is a but I personally want to slow down maybe do 3 or 4 days a week and he wants to work full time flat out yes he his young at 33 so I’m thinking of handing over the majority to him keeping just enough for myself and both going our separate ways. 
I'm only 33... Well for the next 6 days I am haha. I wouldn't want to grow too fast though. I have struggled at points this year both physically and mentally. Even if the price was right I wouldn't just go and buy 200 customers for example. Do you have a brand name that you would both want to keep?

I'm only 33... Well for the next 6 days I am haha. I wouldn't want to grow too fast though. I have struggled at points this year both physically and mentally. Even if the price was right I wouldn't just go and buy 200 customers for example. Do you have a brand name that you would both want to keep?
I would keep the name as it’s very well established and he would get that eventually lol he is really good at his job and the clients love him so he could take it to another lvl and employ if he wants too,  plus any access enquiries I would pass onto him but he would have a full round a full round anyway. 

I have been passing work onto a couple of windies that are out of my area they just give me a drink one of them is a son of a very old friend I could easy sell the leads on even too them both and defo worth a serious consideration ? for the future. 

Personally I know I could build my business easily a couple more vans wi5hin a year just I don’t want the hag would be quite happy now days working alone 9.00 to 2.00ish four days a week relatively stress free ? you know what I mean as I’m nearly as old as you ? and we aren’t half as old as @Part Timer ?
I’m 8-4 mon-thur. 8-3 Fridays. No weekend work, more to life.

Get jake my worker to go on flat roofs and over gates, I’m trying to slow down now 

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m 8-4 mon-thur. 8-3 Fridays. No weekend work, more to life.

Get jake my worker to go on flat roofs and over gates, I’m trying to slow down now 
Gates, flat roofs exactly the same I have been known to stand on the first rung to unbolt a gate lol

thats approx the hours we are working atm. 

In my experience add ons are a pain in the ar5e. Too easy to price them wrong. If you're not skilled in doing the job then it takes you longer and you won't necessarily do as good a job as the professionals so to speak.

We live in very very similar areas only a few miles apart. In 18 months you've gone to 2 operators. Hopefully i'll not be far behind you. Perhaps things have gone differently for me because of how I started part time with a full time job. I advertised all of the above and would have taken any job on. I have a £400 300HP pressure washer gathering dust in the garage because people only really wanted window cleaning. The gutter vac was a good investment but I don't feel I would be in a different place had I not offered pressure washing.

yep, they're a pain in the ****, yep you'll get them wrong and learn the hard way.  They are however, the "low lying fruit" when youre starting out because most window cleaners cant be arsed with them.

My business is based around offering a wrap around exterior cleaning service, so Im biased.  People pay good money todealwith someone they trust, and cleaning windows 24/7 is boring as f**k 

If that’s what you want and your goal then I honestly wish you the very best. I’m really lucky and have my son full time with me we both just get on with without any of us giving a thought works great. But there is a but I personally want to slow down maybe do 3 or 4 days a week and he wants to work full time flat out yes he his young at 33 so I’m thinking of handing over the majority to him keeping just enough for myself and both going our separate ways. 
I'm 43 and want to slow down ?, in recent months I stopped commercial jobs which required an early start as despite been an early riser I couldn't be doing with getting out the door for 7.30am or earlier and some days I am lucky if I manage  to get to my first job for 8.30am I also dropped most of my single jobs so my rounds are a great deal more compact so I can work till 4pm just without going flat out unless the weather is against me, I took the @steve garwood approach early this year in respect of finishing times and not doing weekends and it has definitely helped me mentally as I have suffered from stress over the last 2 years 

yep, they're a pain in the ****, yep you'll get them wrong and learn the hard way.  They are however, the "low lying fruit" when youre starting out because most window cleaners cant be arsed with them.

My business is based around offering a wrap around exterior cleaning service, so Im biased.  People pay good money todealwith someone they trust, and cleaning windows 24/7 is boring as f**k 
In fairness I pulled in over 3k a month for the first few months of going full time. This was all down to conservatory roofs and eventually gutter cleans. I don't mind cleaning just windows. I took on a one off gutter clean yesterday but that's just because my boy owes me £150. He's been coming out with me when he can so I thought I would book some work for him to make up some of it. 

I'm around 7 months in om my own with around 70 customers and done better then i expected only spent around 30 quid on Facebook adds rest word of mouth and people seeing you clean ect , I'm hoping to hit 120 by end of next year and luckily my round is nice and compact apart from a set of 6 houses which are prob a 15 minute drive from me all rest are nice and close. Once I got my 120 target will replace lower priced jobs with higher price jobs **** payers ect , I don't want 400 houses ect I'm a single dad kid lives with me he's 8 soon when he goes high school that's when I will start going full time hoping for 300customers  a month would do me nice i recon that's in 4 years or so though so I will enjoy part time and more fishing lol 

All rounds will grow at different rates depending on how much effort or money you have to throw at it.

First 18 months i was part time and it took me that long to get 100 customers, fast forward 3 years and i now have 500.

Dabbled with employing this year, 3 different lads, ultimately it didnt work out but learnt loads and made mistakes.

Over 1100 customers ive gone through in 4 years.

Refined work along the way, gone from struggling to do £100 a day solo to some days knocking on for £300 and never work later than 3pm

Just need to get all days up to that level and get an second man in to max out the one van,

Patience and persistence

Last edited by a moderator:
You're entitled to your opinion dude but you're wrong. Some of the guys on here already run successful businesses and without sounding arrogant I feel I can say I am well on my way to joining them. If in 18 months I had 1 weeks worth of work I would have given up long ago.

This is not a bit of fun for me. I am working hard to provide for my family. I want to pay for my kids to go through university, Buy a house, put food on the table etc etc etc. You're circumstances are different which is cool but the point we were making is your advice is not relevant to someone who has a wage to replace like the OP.

There is an element of patience required with building a round no one is disagreeing with that but in 18 months you've only picked up a weeks work. Yes things may take off for you and I truly hope they do but your way of working is not suited to the OP. You spend 4k was it on a pressure washer but you still don't have a WFP? The honest point people were making is that you comment for the sake of commenting. I've said it before but above your name it says Guru so newbies to the site who don't know you will take your advice as gospel sometimes. I know Garwood has ripped you for months for commenting on everything going, I even ripped you myself when you commented on a post that literally had the title Anyone in Bournemouth or something.

This site IMHO is the best place to get advice on how to become a window cleaner in the UK. The guys on here have helped me no end. When you post something you have no experience with such as WFP or getting 200+ customers you need to think of the impact your comments may have on the person taking the advice. You are waiting for something to fall into your lap like the housing association. If you needed to have a good solid income you would be looking at this completely differently.

All rounds will grow at different rates depending on how much effort or money you have to throw at it.

First 18 months i was part time and it took me that long to get 100 customers, fast forward 3 years and i now have 500.

Dabbled with employing this year, 3 different lads, ultimately it didnt work out but learnt loads and made mistakes.

Over 1100 customers ive gone through in 4 years.

Refined work along the way, gone from struggling to do £100 a day solo to some days knocking on for £300 and never work later than 3pm

Just need to get all days up to that level and get an second man in to max out the one van,

Patience and persistence
Great achievement ??

Think you're a reincarnated Victorian chimney sweep, instead of sending your kid up the chimney you're sending him up the ladders. Probably borrowed the £150 to buy you a present for your soon to be birthday. 
??? It was for a PS4. The wife was the one who lent him the money using my credit card. He broke his old one. I would personally have preferred him to wait and buy it outright. I genuinely think there's a lot to be said for working hard to buy something you want but I have to settle for him working hard to repay a debt instead ?

??? It was for a PS4. The wife was the one who lent him the money using my credit card. He broke his old one. I would personally have preferred him to wait and buy it outright. I genuinely think there's a lot to be said for working hard to buy something you want but I have to settle for him working hard to repay a debt instead ?
My daughter lost her first tooth today!

Bet that’s the last time she touches my PS4 ?

Back