Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

What would you charge?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I would do that in half hour, so 30/40 would be plenty. Such a variation in what people charge. Also undeniably some people will work a lot quicker than others. Im not slap-dash, I work thoroughly but I dont hang about, and Ive watched some other cleaners who are much slower. maybe they would need to charge more as they're there longer?

I would do that in half hour, so 30/40 would be plenty. Such a variation in what people charge. Also undeniably some people will work a lot quicker than others. Im not slap-dash, I work thoroughly but I dont hang about, and Ive watched some other cleaners who are much slower. maybe they would need to charge more as they're there longer?

34 sets of windows in half an hour, including the big window panes and velux windows?  

34 sets of windows in half an hour, including the big window panes and velux windows?  
some of the windows its the same picture up twice. Not the velux if they say dont do upstairs. Someone else said 15 to 20 mins so my half hour would be more leisurely. yeh is always tricky to tell when pricing unusual homes but i would say really could be between 20 mins and 40 mins.

Personally speaking, we can look at a job and try to guess how long its going to take and price accordingly. When we get to the job and actually do it, it could be a different story. This why these how much and how long will it take questions are probably more confusing for the original poster after he has read other cleaners responses.

We did a Sure Start with council offices for 12 years before the council took it on themselves to save money. It was done over a weekend. The whole building was on ground level in the shape of a U. Our 100 meter hose length just managed to reach around the building with the van parked in the right spot. The job had 33 windows and 6 doors. All windows were easily reached and cleaned. There were 5 gates that had to be opened, which meant we had to negotiate fenced off areas.

When I calculated the time doing this I figured on about 45 minutes from unpacking to packing up again. The closest I got to this was 1 hour and 40 minutes. It was usually an hour and 50 minutes. Each window took between 30 and 40 seconds to clean.

I asked my son to clean it one Saturday for me. It took him 4 hours and he said he would never do it again, and he didn't. Hose management was the biggest time consumer. I tried all sorts of hose permentations but some took much longer in the end.

We have a 'double' clean to do once every 4 weeks; the bosses house and the sales and warehouse unit he owns. I estimated that the house would take 4 hours to do and the factory 2 hours. The house takes us 5 hours (we are there 2 and a half hours) and the factory takes us an hour and a half. Hose management around the house is more time consuming than I estimated.

The third example is our annual school clean. We do some insides and all the outside glass and translucent panels around stairwells. The building is over 3 floors on one side. I quoted 43 hours for the external windows and 24 hours for the internal cleans. We've done this job for the past 10 years.

Last year we were fortunate as we finished the outside in 36 hours and the internals in 20 hours.

But the previous year it took us longer as we had to work around other trades in the building as well and we all arrived on site together.? The school has aftercare facilities during the summer school holidays which is a problem (children running around), pressure washing of paving which leaves the downstairs windows filthy, school exam results, uniform sales, etc all which interfere with our progress. The carpark and school grounds are turned into a camping site over one weekend when the town hosts a song festival which rules out 4 working days. Organization of work to be done, when and by whom is non existant. We cleaned the downstairs windows one year before they pressure washed the paving. I've learnt to try to ask questions before we do anything since.

But it doesn't mean that what we are told happens in practice.

We use the school's scaffold tower for the atrium internal windows and we have to rely on them putting it up. They don't often do it when we ask.

When pricing up a big job the only suggestion I have is what others have said. Break the job down into sections, look at each section separately and try to visualise how long each section will take and consider any obstacles that hinder progress. Then add them all together. If the frames are wooden then know its going to be potential drama and add more time on. Wooden sash windows are even more drama.

Once you have a time multiplied by your hourly rate plus travelling time then you have to decide if your price is market related or not.

If you need more work @Clarkus84 then it can be very difficult to accept that this might be a job that 'gets away.' That's fine. If you get every job you quote then your prices are too low. If you don't get any then your prices are too expensive for your area. You need to be looking at getting between 40% and 60% of the quotes you give. Looking at the threads in this post its pretty much a slam-dunk that this quote is one of the ones you probably won't get. If you do then it will probably end up as a one off and they will soon cancel. THAT'S OK.

Its a shame but I don't think you want it anyway. Honest opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
The way I price (I've only been going 5 months) is to walk around the house and work out how long I think each window will take me to clean and I don't work it out in seconds but in minutes.  So those velux windows for me are 3 minutes for each one.  That big massive window above the double doors is 8 minutes.  The front door is 2 minutes, the windows either side is 3 minutes each.  I then add up all the minutes and that gives me the total time.

Now doing it this way ensures that you don't under price the job, overpricing is fine, underpricing is not fine.

This method is designed to compensate for all those readjustments.  Yes those velux windows might not take 3 minutes to actually clean them, but what about the time to extend the pole, the time to go and tend to any snags, moving chairs / plant pots.  You see it's not just the actual time to clean the window.

So for me that job comes in at 1 hour 20 minutes and I know that I can do it in that time.  It won't be a case of quoting for 30 minutes and finding it takes 45 minutes.

It's working for me anyway and I don't seem to get any problems.  I do tell the customers that I'm very thorough and I do the job right which seems to set me apart.

But even if you think my times are too long and you're the fastest windy in the west, well my method would still work, you just reduce the minutes per window to suit your speed / standard of work.  The key thing is that you don't want to under price the work, if you're quoting for 30 minutes and it's taking you 45 then you're doing it wrong.

The way I price (I've only been going 5 months) is to walk around the house and work out how long I think each window will take me to clean and I don't work it out in seconds but in minutes.  So those velux windows for me are 3 minutes for each one.  That big massive window above the double doors is 8 minutes.  The front door is 2 minutes, the windows either side is 3 minutes each.  I then add up all the minutes and that gives me the total time.

Now doing it this way ensures that you don't under price the job, overpricing is fine, underpricing is not fine.

This method is designed to compensate for all those readjustments.  Yes those velux windows might not take 3 minutes to actually clean them, but what about the time to extend the pole, the time to go and tend to any snags, moving chairs / plant pots.  You see it's not just the actual time to clean the window.

So for me that job comes in at 1 hour 20 minutes and I know that I can do it in that time.  It won't be a case of quoting for 30 minutes and finding it takes 45 minutes.

It's working for me anyway and I don't seem to get any problems.  I do tell the customers that I'm very thorough and I do the job right which seems to set me apart.

But even if you think my times are too long and you're the fastest windy in the west, well my method would still work, you just reduce the minutes per window to suit your speed / standard of work.  The key thing is that you don't want to under price the work, if you're quoting for 30 minutes and it's taking you 45 then you're doing it wrong.
id charge £40 8 weekly for that job AND clean ALL the windows,frames and sills on the property including the skylights......on maintenance cleans id clean it in 35-40mins no problem,i have a few similar properties on my round.....

no way is that job an 80 min job mate!?

also I WOULDNT TAKE THE JOB ON IF THEY JUST WANTED THE GROUND FLOOR WINDOWS CLEANING.......they are not serious about having a regular window cleaning service so i would politely decline and just move onto my next job....

£35 every 4 weeks is a decent price.

some stupid quotes 50/60£. Nobody in the right mind would pay that price, neighbours & friends talk you wouldn’t keep it for long.

£35 every 4 weeks is a decent price.

some stupid quotes 50/60£. Nobody in the right mind would pay that price, neighbours & friends talk you wouldn’t keep it for long.

You are just highlighting the fact that pricing is window cleaner driven on a gut feel for how long the job will take against what the perceived price is for a clean by the customer in that area.

If its a rented house, the tenant usually doesn't have the same desire to maintain appearances as the owner would. I'm sure @Clarkus84 said it was a rented property. For past experience, alarm bells would be ringing in my head and I would be seriously asking myself if this was just an end of tenancy once off clean that was being dressed up as regular.

I totally agree with your reasoning but if I priced that job at 1.40 muinits it would be around £100 that’s not a realistic price for the customer and the likelihood of getting the job is zero , first clean might take 40 muinits max regular clean 15-20  taking it easy , so I would’ve between £30-40 and quite happy with that , obviously more is better ???

I totally agree with your reasoning but if I priced that job at 1.40 muinits it would be around £100 that’s not a realistic price for the customer and the likelihood of getting the job is zero , first clean might take 40 muinits max regular clean 15-20  taking it easy , so I would’ve between £30-40 and quite happy with that , obviously more is better ???

Sorry I've worked out my price wrong, I think, my hourly rate is £35 so based on 1hour 20 my price would be around £45-£50.   

The method works for me and if you think the price is too high then you just reduce the minutes per window, everybody has different levels of standard, but if you then find you're still going over your estimated time then you know that you need to increase the minutes per window.   

My method is to ensure you don't underestimate how long the job will take and it works for me.  If it didn't work and I was too high I'd have no customers.

You can always reduce your hourly rate to begin with until you're happy you have got it right, you don't have to reduce the minutes per window.  So you might say £30 per hour, quote comes in at 1 hour 20 mins, your price is then £40.  If you then manage to do it in 1 hour you're effectively earning £40 p/h.  Then eventually once you have done quite a few and you're continuously overestimating the time then you can reduce the minutes until you're getting the estimated time correct.

Just for clarity though, Pjj you're stating that it would take you 15 to 20 minutes, there are 34 sets of windows on that property, about 80 panes of glass including those huge window panes,  I understand that I'm new and all that and a lot to learn but I just can't see that being possible.  

Sorry I've worked out my price wrong, I think, my hourly rate is £35 so based on 1hour 20 my price would be around £45-£50.   

The method works for me and if you think the price is too high then you just reduce the minutes per window, everybody has different levels of standard, but if you then find you're still going over your estimated time then you know that you need to increase the minutes per window.   

My method is to ensure you don't underestimate how long the job will take and it works for me.  If it didn't work and I was too high I'd have no customers.

You can always reduce your hourly rate to begin with until you're happy you have got it right, you don't have to reduce the minutes per window.  So you might say £30 per hour, quote comes in at 1 hour 20 mins, your price is then £40.  If you then manage to do it in 1 hour you're effectively earning £40 p/h.  Then eventually once you have done quite a few and you're continuously overestimating the time then you can reduce the minutes until you're getting the estimated time correct.

Just for clarity though, Pjj you're stating that it would take you 15 to 20 minutes, there are 34 sets of windows on that property, about 80 panes of glass including those huge window panes,  I understand that I'm new and all that and a lot to learn but I just can't see that being possible.  

I think you you have misunderstood what ime saying you said that job would take you 1:45 muinits , by my hourly rate that would equate to £100 for me ,not cost effective for the customer and ime very unlikely to get the job at that price . 

Time wise once that job is up to speed it would take me working on my own maximum of 20 muinits I have dozens of jobs like that and considerable bigger that  I do in 20 muinits , ime not boasting or belittling you by saying that it’s just a fact , I have had several people from the forum come out with us and have been amazed at what we do and how long it takes , you are very welcome to come out and see for yourself if you would like to . That job is just a run of the mill size the porch area is less than 5 muinits work although it may contain , a lot of pains of glass . Have you ever timed cleaning a window with a stopwatch?? Try cleaning a window for 2 muinits it’s vertualy impossible to spend that long on a window , please don’t take what I have said as a negative against you it’s not meant that way ime just trying to explain how quickly that job can be done , I do however totally agree with you to over estimate time taken for a job not the other way round but it’s easy to  alow  to long and over price the job  and not get it due to this as I said by your time scale that job would be a £100 job for me customer wouldn’t pay that but £30-45 they likely would 

I think you you have misunderstood what ime saying you said that job would take you 1:45 muinits , by my hourly rate that would equate to £100 for me ,not cost effective for the customer and ime very unlikely to get the job at that price . 

Time wise once that job is up to speed it would take me working on my own maximum of 20 muinits I have dozens of jobs like that and considerable bigger that  I do in 20 muinits , ime not boasting or belittling you by saying that it’s just a fact , I have had several people from the forum come out with us and have been amazed at what we do and how long it takes , you are very welcome to come out and see for yourself if you would like to . That job is just a run of the mill size the porch area is less than 5 muinits work although it may contain , a lot of pains of glass . Have you ever timed cleaning a window with a stopwatch?? Try cleaning a window for 2 muinits it’s vertualy impossible to spend that long on a window , please don’t take what I have said as a negative against you it’s not meant that way ime just trying to explain how quickly that job can be done , I do however totally agree with you to over estimate time taken for a job not the other way round but it’s easy to  alow  to long and over price the job  and not get it due to this as I said by your time scale that job would be a £100 job for me customer wouldn’t pay that but £30-45 they likely would 

Don't worry, I don't take anything as a negative, or take offence, it's just a discussion.

You see for you it might be too long but for me it's not.  I've not timed the jobs per window but from arriving to leaving I seem to be getting it right.  But for it to work for you you would have to adjust the minutes to suit your work speed.  

This is more about estimating the correct time it's going to take you, forget about the money side of it, you can work out your price once you know how long it's going to take you.

Thanks for the offer, Cornwall is 300+ miles away, I'll think about it, was down there last year.. nightmare, lovely place but horrible company, loads of problems with extended family.  I did say I'd go on my own next time, ha ha so yeah maybe.

Latest Posts

Back