Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Getting onto a balcony

WCF

Help Support WCF:

dave_m141

So.. had my first elevated style bungalow and they had there patio doors on a balcony with no other access other than ladder. Getting up was fine. Getting down was a different matter. I shat my pants as I thought I was stuck! Ha almost called the fire service . That would be embarrassing ha . I climbed off using a chair but put my foot through it and broke it! Surely there must be an easier way I'm oblivious to?

Good answer lol unless I rest ladder on the fence around it and pole what I can. I'm pretty **** at poling though, really gets on my tits!

Alternatively arrange for someone to be home so you have safe access through the house to clean it /emoticons/wink.png

You could always use something like this that's if the balcony railings are strong enough to take your weight if you should fall./emoticons/biggrin.png

[media]

[/media]

A lot of accidents happen when stepping on/off free standing leaning ladders as they can kick backward and move sideways as you have already gathered.

A good stabiliser safety device to help stop backward & sideway slip on the ladder would help though that's one of the reasons why I use an ankalad. Also the ladder tied off at the top with at least 3 rungs over would also help. On flat roofs and pitched roofs as in the vid a microlite standoff would also help to stabilise the top of the ladder.

Last edited by a moderator:
So.. had my first elevated style bungalow and they had there patio doors on a balcony with no other access other than ladder. Getting up was fine. Getting down was a different matter. I shat my pants as I thought I was stuck! Ha almost called the fire service . That would be embarrassing ha . I climbed off using a chair but put my foot through it and broke it! Surely there must be an easier way I'm oblivious to?
I have some strong plastic boxes that I keep things in (about 40 x 20 x 20cm). So I go up the ladder resting on the top rail of balcony, using a small piece of bungee cord, fasten ladder. reach over and place box on floor of balcony, swing leg-over, step onto box, and you are there. (I always tell my wife I've had my leg-over when I do one of these).

Calling @cheapncheerful calling @cheapncheerful :laugh:

Don't mind @Tuffers Dave as @cheapncheerful is really mr bean not me. Mind you I could be his brother at times /emoticons/biggrin.png

And yes I have shat my pants on more than one occasion too as it’s all part of a learning curve

Back