Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Which is better carbon fibre or alloy gutter poles?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I've got a 1400 watt Hyundai Pro with  2200mm of water lift. 

I converted my machine to a 51mm side entry cyclonic using 5mtrs of 51mm hose to cut down suction loss and this hooks onto lightweight 51mm alloy poles I got from Aquafed. 

I purchased 32ft of poles and even with using the full 32ft with the end tool connected it's got plenty of suction and lifts big turfs out. I will admit that 32ft of these poles are hard to work with, need plenty upper body strength. The poles are 1.2mtrs each and weigh 620 grams, but you have the weight of the clamps and end tool to take into consideration as well. 
U think this would work?

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/cvac20ss-wet-dry-vacuum-cleaner/?da=1&TC=GS-050511105&gclid=Cj0KCQjw6NjNBRDKARIsAFn3NMrKwcXx_x8Bw-YKegjYTIoX-uhs0M0Ng-L-uFkg_rtwyrv7o14eYSgaAvMvEALw_wcB

Thinking of ordering the carbon fibre aqualite poles off Aqua fed who were at the show.  I figured if this cheap vac from machine mart doesn't work I can still use the poles with a better vac machine.

Anyone know cheap cameras I could buy?

Last edited by a moderator:
You would need to find out water water height lift that machine has got or it's a pure gamble if it will be adequate or not. Carbon poles are great, I just couldn't afford them at the time, make sure there 50mm poles. I got a cheap wifi camera off eBay from China , one of those GoPro copies, it's not too bad but the wifi signal cuts out allot. I am looking at the pro set that Gardiner has for sale, but have to save up the pennies! 

You would need to find out water water height lift that machine has got or it's a pure gamble if it will be adequate or not. Carbon poles are great, I just couldn't afford them at the time, make sure there 50mm poles. I got a cheap wifi camera off eBay from China , one of those GoPro copies, it's not too bad but the wifi signal cuts out allot. I am looking at the pro set that Gardiner has for sale, but have to save up the pennies! 
Thinking of buying the aqualite poles off these guys (aquafed  from the show)  they're as good as any poles right?  And if this cheap vac fails will work with a better vac.

Aquafed is who I purchased my alloy pole kit from head tools and the vac hose. The owner Mark Blundell was a real pleasure to deal with and was very helpful when I was building my machine. His carbon poles I don't know anything about but my opinion is he wouldn't sell junk, I see they are 51mm also which is what you want. Good luck.  :1f44d:

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
That's what I have, they have an app you download as well. And yes, just press record and point it in the right direction. Set it up on the right angle on pole and away ye go. I found it works on wifi upto 18/20 feet but can lose signal easily. But if you are just recording then it's all ye need!  :1f44d:

I use a 360 cam. Made an attachement to fit it to the top of the alloy pole. I dont have to be that accurate where i hold the pole with it being a 360 cam i just put my finger on my phone screen and can pan in any direction and zoom in..

Going to make a new attachment to fit the camera to the end of my slx. To speed up the process.

That's what I have, they have an app you download as well. And yes, just press record and point it in the right direction. Set it up on the right angle on pole and away ye go. I found it works on wifi upto 18/20 feet but can lose signal easily. But if you are just recording then it's all ye need!  :1f44d:

How u get WiFi when you're out and about ?   U use 4G 

Its cheap and cheerful and if I get more of these jobs ( on 1 or 2 a month at moment)  will get a better one like what the other guys recommended.

I ordered the 20ft carbon poles off Mark (£300) with 38mm inlet attachment for the Machine Mart vac for £80.   1400 watts.   If that fail's  will bite the bullet and get  a 3000 watt one.

I use a 360 cam. Made an attachement to fit it to the top of the alloy pole. I dont have to be that accurate where i hold the pole with it being a 360 cam i just put my finger on my phone screen and can pan in any direction and zoom in..

Going to make a new attachment to fit the camera to the end of my slx. To speed up the process.
Couldn't u tape it on the scraper which fits onto the SLX?    I have an SLX pole.   Is it easier to manoeuvre the SLX with camera on it compared to the gutter poles?

The cam I use connects to my phone via bluetooth, sometimes the reception is poor so I just record footage and then watch it..

Yeah I could do that with the tape but i wouldn't want it falling off, its not hard to make the fitting just need to get the screw, which I can get out of the pound shop they sell a little camera tripod with the correct screw.. i been meaning to do it for a while I think I will get it sorted this weekend. 

The reason I want it on an SLX is because i can survey an area quicker, than having to build the alloy pole..

I don't really use the cam for long, only when I have an issue. Today I cleaned a gutter and the down pipe was blocked I used it then at the end once I had removed the blockage to watch water going down the pipe..

Most of the time I know if the gutter is dirty without using the camera, you can feel the soil and moss. 

Anyone ever just used 50mm gutter downpipe?

i saw someone on YouTube using it. Not sure how stable it would be but definitely light and cheap
I used the downpipe itself yesterday it was blocked. I flooded the top gutter with water and put the hose into the bottom of the down pipe and wrapped a wet towel around the hose and bottom of the down pipe so suction wouldnt be lost and it sucked out all the blockage.

You could use it but the connectors arent as stable as clamps so on a windy day might unstable. 

You can make some good attachments out of it though.

Used all 8 of my alloy poles today. I couldn't lift the things. Carbon all the way. Wish I'd paid the extra now

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

Slippy, please give an update on the carbon poles that you just recently purchased from Aquafed one you receive/use them .  :1f44d:

How u get WiFi when you're out and about ?   U use 4G 

Its cheap and cheerful and if I get more of these jobs ( on 1 or 2 a month at moment)  will get a better one like what the other guys recommended.

I ordered the 20ft carbon poles off Mark (£300) with 38mm inlet attachment for the Machine Mart vac for £80.   1400 watts.   If that fail's  will bite the bullet and get  a 3000 watt one.
Slippy, how are ye getting on with the poles from Mark, and how heavy are they? 

Slippy, how are ye getting on with the poles from Mark, and how heavy are they? 

I haven't used any other poles to compare, but they seem pretty good. I had tendonitis of the shoulder and always go as light as possible.   Mark's a good guy as well.   Think the metal ones are more durable

Back