Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Which Van? Stick with diesel or go electric?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

The problem with hydrogen is storing and distributing it in a way that it can be taxed.

All new electric vehicle charging points at home have to be connected to a smart meter. They say that its so they can trigger the car to charge during the wee hours of the night, when electricity is in least demand. They also have the ability to put a tariff on electric vehicle charging at some point in the future.

Many years ago the electric grid in South Africa could switch our electric geysers off at peak current draw times and switch them back on when electricity draw reduced later in the evening. We often had to reset our geysers when the hot water ran cold as they failed to switch them back on. I can see something similar happening in future here when the electric vehicle failed to charge overnight and the owner left stranded.

Experience has left me rather dubious I'm afraid.
To me taxing hydrogen, given the transportation and storage issues is easy to tax, same as petrol and diesel. 

Most electric vehicles can be charged from a standard 13amp socket - all be it at a very slow rate. So I'm not sure they could tax that usage even if you had a smart meter? People still have immersions and electric showers and that isn't going away as they do away with gas more people will be using electricity to heat water so how will the gov determine between a water heater and a slow electric car charger?

I think one of the reasons the UK gov is pushing for our own satellite gps system is so that in the future they can use that and a smart phone app to charge by the mile driven charges based on 'congestion'. 

I think it's Japan that are investing heavily into Hydrogen powered vehicles.

The one thing that is coming is a huge issue with the UK's power production capacity and the national grid. Both have been under invested for decades. Just today we see a undersea power supply cable from France go down taking 2GWatts out of the grid as we don't produce enough electricity in the UK for current UK demand let alone future use!!!!

To me taxing hydrogen, given the transportation and storage issues is easy to tax, same as petrol and diesel. 

Most electric vehicles can be charged from a standard 13amp socket - all be it at a very slow rate. So I'm not sure they could tax that usage even if you had a smart meter? People still have immersions and electric showers and that isn't going away as they do away with gas more people will be using electricity to heat water so how will the gov determine between a water heater and a slow electric car charger?

I think one of the reasons the UK gov is pushing for our own satellite gps system is so that in the future they can use that and a smart phone app to charge by the mile driven charges based on 'congestion'. 

The one thing that is coming is a huge issue with the UK's power production capacity and the national grid. Both have been under invested for decades. Just today we see a undersea power supply cable from France go down taking 2GWatts out of the grid as we don't produce enough electricity in the UK for current UK demand let alone future use!!!!
With the latest high capacity  batteries they won’t be able to be charged from a 13 amp plug as it will over run the supply like trying to run a 3kw immersion from one now . It will become mandatory to have a separate  supply for  car charging , a friend of mine who is an electrician is being sent on a training course about it in a couple of months time ???

Taxes were always going to rise substantially once the Chinese Plague arrived. How could they not, no matter what political party was in power? Health service on the verge of being overwhelmed for the past two years. Masses of extraordinary overtime worked by the staff. Thousands of people furloughed for long periods. "Grants" as they were conveniently called, issued to the self employed who couldn't work. The money will have to go back into the coffers. It was always going to need to be put back into the coffers. Will the higher taxes be fair or will they be taken as an opportunity to take back a lot more than was paid out? Answers on a postcard please. I know where my gut feeling lies.

I said this at the start of the pandemic when a lot of people said "it's just a bit of a flu".

I have no political allegiances or interests. From what I've seen in my 65 years on the planet, they are all a parcel of rogues. Possibly there are exceptions but I can't name one.
I agree on the taxes as it was inevitable who could ever foresee a pandemic, if they cracked down on some of the biggest like Amazon for example they would gross far more tax it's just laughable, around 15 miles either way from our house there is 3 fairly new amazon warehouses and there profits are through the roof. 

Politicians no matter how they started out are all in for themselves and money, look at Dominic Raab should have been sacked and now he has 3 or 4 jobs ?

On certain tariffs with a smart meter you can opt to have a free electricity day. One of the Mods on the other forum has opted for this, and they do all their washing and tumble drying on that day. The idea of smart meters was that they could charge a higher rate for electricity used during peak hours and a lower rate at other times in the day and night.

If they can do that then I believe that anything is possible. And yes, the suppliers will try to sell you a charging station mounted on an outside wall at a subsidized cost. I wonder how many have opted for 13amp charging method on an extension cord? I would.

I was speaking to a customer yesterday. He has a company car which costs him around 8 grand a year on benefit in kind tax. He has opted for an all electric Volvo which will cost him around £120 a year. Lead time for his new electric car - 9 to 10 months. He says that this is the current lead time with all the manufacturers. I see his next door neighbour has opted for a double cab pickup to reduce his tax bill.

Electric vehicles are ok but at this time my major concern is the range per charge , my man tge if electric has a maximum range of 90 miles so in real world driving I would be lucky to get half that so for me it’s an easy decision it’s totally useless , I think it will be at least another 10 years before battery technology is up to giving decent ranges of a real world figures of 200 miles plus .
They'll have to be quicker than 10years if it is to replace the internal combustion engine in the timeframe that they are currently working to ? 

Back