Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Who is responsible for the blog on this forum

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Don't think anyone is talking about doing less that a thorough job with high standards...it stands to reason, the first time you clean a window in years it *may* not be as good as the second/third iteration. It's unlikely to get progressively worse so begs the thought that it might get better (second time at the vents, second time the sill recess with years of compacted dirt hidden away that only comes out when you've moved on, the stubborn baked on bird mess long washed off but left a barely noticeable, from the ground, faint shadow...the custy WILL see things you can't possibly - this caveat just covers these rare but imo likely scenario.. I guess the advice is for newbie not pros like yourself and newbies can do with all this help...in fact I would not be surprised if my initial clean spiel came from that post... ?

(to depersonalise it) if someone washed their car for the first time in 3-4 years it's unlikely to be as clean as the 2nd or 3rd time they clean it subsequent months, it would in 99% of cases get iteratively cleaner... surely.
Sorry I don’t agree it’s either clean or it’s not , there is no halfway point , the 3 cleans comes from people trying to buy time doing a poor job due to inexperience , or poor techniques , or poor water quality, or all three , , if doing a very dirty first clean it pays to use a chemical like virosol , give it a good scrub rinse with garden hose getting into all the nooks and crannies blasting out all the dirt ,then go over again with pure and rinse job done you won’t get any cleaner than that , hot water will give better results and be quicker as well .

I agree you're either late or you're not late... 

But in the real world surfaces are not either perfectly clean OR perfectly dirty there are obviously grades along the path...which is why car washes have bronze/silver/gold wash programmes...anyhow hardly a biggie

Last edited by a moderator:
the 3 cleans comes from people trying to buy time doing a poor job due to inexperience
It's a perfectly legitimate approach to add 25% on to a first clean bill and clean them to a reasonable standard on the first clean, explaining to a customer over the next two or three cleans they will improve and then be regularly maintained to that end standard.

It's also a perfectly legitimate approach to bill double and spend twice as long scrubbing out the suds & green & dirt.

If the customer is happy, who cares?

I have to say when I read this thread I couldn't quite understand what the fuss was about.  Each to their own approach but I've never had a problem doing either.  I just use my discretion on which customers would be happy to have a deep clean on the first go and pay for it and which don't. Either way I still get the job and the customer is happy.....Smart business approach to me....

It's a perfectly legitimate approach to add 25% on to a first clean bill and clean them to a reasonable standard on the first clean, explaining to a customer over the next two or three cleans they will improve and then be regularly maintained to that end standard.

It's also a perfectly legitimate approach to bill double and spend twice as long scrubbing out the suds & green & dirt.

If the customer is happy, who cares?

I have to say when I read this thread I couldn't quite understand what the fuss was about.  Each to their own approach but I've never had a problem doing either.  I just use my discretion on which customers would be happy to have a deep clean on the first go and pay for it and which don't. Either way I still get the job and the customer is happy.....Smart business approach to me....
If the windows are cleaned  properly the first time they will not improve on subsequent cleans ,they cannot be cleaner than clean !! 

If the windows are cleaned  properly the first time they will not improve on subsequent cleans ,they cannot be cleaner than clean !! 
Are you able to remove all the suds from leaded windows for example on every first clean you do?  There will be some spotting on some jobs that a customer may notice after a first clean.  That will reduce with each clean. ... They're not 'cleaner' as such; they're already at a minimum acceptable standard but any spotting will reduce with each visit...... It's not a poor job or down to inexperience, the opposite perhaps and just managing customers expectations.   There's nothing wrong with that approach, nor is there with yours.

Are you able to remove all the suds from leaded windows for example on every first clean you do?  There will be some spotting on some jobs that a customer may notice after a first clean.  That will reduce with each clean. ... They're not 'cleaner' as such; they're already at a minimum acceptable standard but any spotting will reduce with each visit...... It's not a poor job or down to inexperience, the opposite perhaps and just managing customers expectations.   There's nothing wrong with that approach, nor is there with yours.
Well if you believe that you are in the wrong job , the whole object of the initial clean is to remove months or years of dirt , grime ,soap suds etc that’s why it takes longer and we charge a minimum of double the price ,if you need two or 3 cleans to do that you aren't doing the job right end off , we dont get spotting due to the technique we use , the windows are clean first clean every time . 

When you take your car for a service do they say buy the time it’s had it’s 3 rd oil change the oil in the engine will be clean ? No of course not each time it’s servjced the oil is changed it’s clean oil in the engine . 

If you take your car for a valet do  they say we will have to clean it 3 times before it’s clean ? No , would you pay for  a service like that ? I doubt it ,I certainly wouldn’t so why should it be any different cleaning windows ? It’s not rocket science , or maybe to some it is ?. 

The windows certainly are not at a minimum standard after a first clean when we do them , as I said it’s down to technique, water quality and knowing how to clean different types of window and that comes with either training or years of experience , your statement backs up what I said earlier that we pick up a lot of work from other cleaners that don’t  know how to do the job or dont care or are using water with a high TDS level 

Well if you believe that you are in the wrong job , the whole object of the initial clean is to remove months or years of dirt , grime ,soap suds etc that’s why it takes longer and we charge a minimum of double the price ,if you need two or 3 cleans to do that you aren't doing the job right end off , we dont get spotting due to the technique we use , the windows are clean first clean every time . 

When you take your car for a service do they say buy the time it’s had it’s 3 rd oil change the oil in the engine will be clean ? No of course not each time it’s servjced the oil is changed it’s clean oil in the engine . 

If you take your car for a valet do  they say we will have to clean it 3 times before it’s clean ? No , would you pay for  a service like that ? I doubt it ,I certainly wouldn’t so why should it be any different cleaning windows ? It’s not rocket science , or maybe to some it is ?. 

The windows certainly are not at a minimum standard after a first clean when we do them , as I said it’s down to technique, water quality and knowing how to clean different types of window and that comes with either training or years of experience , your statement backs up what I said earlier that we pick up a lot of work from other cleaners that don’t  know how to do the job or dont care or are using water with a high TDS level 
I normally have a lot of respect for your post @Pjj, however on this one your attitude is coming across as ‘i know best’.

Nothing wrong with telling the customer it might take a couple of cleans to get them absolutely spotless, and before you say ‘through years of experience’ again, I have been doing this 26 years and never, ever has a customer been bothered that it might take a couple of cleans on the first time with WFP.

People have different ways and methods of working. It doesn’t make them wrong if it differs from others ?

Now wind your neck in ??

When I do a first clean it is as clean as it will get.

Doesn't take much longer either.

Just spray some bleach on the brush and scrub away.

As wagga would say "job done"

I normally have a lot of respect for your post @Pjj, however on this one your attitude is coming across as ‘i know best’.

Nothing wrong with telling the customer it might take a couple of cleans to get them absolutely spotless, and before you say ‘through years of experience’ again, I have been doing this 26 years and never, ever has a customer been bothered that it might take a couple of cleans on the first time with WFP.

People have different ways and methods of working. It doesn’t make them wrong if it differs from others ?

Now wind your neck in ??
Sorry if that’s how this has come across I certainly didn’t mean it to , that’s the problem with txt there is no sentiment, all I was trying to say is that if the first clean is done right it will be clean on that clean it won’t improve on subsequent cleans , most customers will look more closely on the first clean so any imperfections they will pick up on , that’s why it needs to be right , follow up cleans still need to be right but few will check them so thoroughly , if the first clean is done right it also makes it far easier for us on following cleans . 

I don't think there's any need for that.  I've said my piece and I stand by it.  Have a good day everyone ?
If I have caused any offence then I apologise but I stand by what I have said , I maybe shouldn’t have directed my comments at you as an individual and should have generalised my comments, hindsight is a wonderful thing , no offence meant   

Anyhoo we are going way off topic. This post was about the blog and posts on the blog that will be re writen. 

Last edited by a moderator:
If I have caused any offence then I apologise but I stand by what I have said , I maybe shouldn’t have directed my comments at you as an individual and should have generalised my comments, hindsight is a wonderful thing , no offence meant   
Forgotten. No hard feelings mate, we're all entitled to our opinions and sometimes they differ ?

Latest Posts

Back