Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Who's taking the second SEISS grant?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Well I’ve made my claim. I’ve added up how much I’m losing due to corona. £165 per month. That’s mostly commercial with just one £40 house. Should be in my bank within 6 days. 

Just going to add my penny’s worth to this thread. I couldn’t decide whether to claim or not - like most I’m maybe only £200 a month down at the moment, mainly due to small cafes still not being open. But this weekend I decided to claim as I’d never really read this bullet point on HMRC’s website -

you had to buy protective equipment so you could trade following social distancing rules

I’ve been buying disposable masks and gloves in bulk every month since I started working again in May. I clean insides on a lot of businesses, hence, I need masks. It’s the rules! If you’re like me and are buying big packs of masks and/or gloves that you’re using for work, you can claim.

For me, the PPE expenses bullet point makes this an absolute no brainer. I can’t find it now, but I read on another HMRC page that no matter how much your costs have increased by, if they’re still increasing from July 14th due to Covid, you’re eligible.

I posted back in early August on the money saving expert forums explaining my situation and asked ‘should/can I claim?’ The variation in responses was hilarious. Half were saying ‘yes for sure’. The other half were basically ‘if you claim you’re second only to Satan’ ? give me a break!

HMRC expects you to make an honest assessment about whether you reasonably believe your business will have a significant reduction in profits.

To make a claim for the third grant your business must have had a new or continuing impact from coronavirus between 1 November 2020 and 29 January 2021, which you reasonably believe will have a significant reduction in your profits.

The third taxable grant is worth 80% of your average monthly trading profits, paid out in a single instalment covering 3 months’ worth of profits, and capped at £7,500 in total.

The online service to claim the third grant is open. Make your claim from the date we give you either by email, letter or within the service. If you’re eligible, you must make your claim for the third grant on or before 29 January 2021.

The grant does not need to be repaid if you’re eligible, but will be subject to Income Tax and self-employed National Insurance and must be reported on your 2020 to 2021 Self Assessment tax return.

You must keep evidence to support your claim.

Grants under the Self-Employment Income Support Scheme are not counted as ‘access to public funds’, and you can claim the grant on all categories of work visa.

You can follow these steps to help you understand what you can do now.

I lost a load of commercial so have claimed.

Last edited by a moderator:
def not claiming. Im only a few down who are elderly and not wise to walk through their home. But ive got more than them via new customers since, so no. Significantly down, would need maybe to have lost half your work? Id guess some whose work is mainly some large commercial premises which are not getting it done would be only ones eligible.

If that's all you have lost them I doubt you can claim. Go on the gov site and check out the requirements, they are stricter than both last two.
Look 2 posts above. 

That is off hmrc site.

def not claiming. Im only a few down who are elderly and not wise to walk through their home. But ive got more than them via new customers since, so no. Significantly down, would need maybe to have lost half your work? Id guess some whose work is mainly some large commercial premises which are not getting it done would be only ones eligible.
I lost a chunk of commercial work.

Not a massive amount but I call it a significant amount. 

As website says it's no set amount just common sense.

But what is significant?  I hate losing any profit and see it all as significant...
That's the big question. Maybe look at your losses in relation to what the gov would pay you. i.e. if you have lost 50% of your income and the gov will give you 80% of your income then you would be making a 'profit'. If you have lost 80% or more of your income then the payment would bring you back to normal income.

There isn't a definition of 'significant' but be sensible, if you can show losses and you need the money then apply. If you have losses and can get by maybe don't claim.

It's up to you really but if HMRC come knocking would you be confident to justify your definition of 'significant'? Just remember that HMRC can go back over your accounts for last 7 years!!!!!

That's the big question. Maybe look at your losses in relation to what the gov would pay you. i.e. if you have lost 50% of your income and the gov will give you 80% of your income then you would be making a 'profit'. If you have lost 80% or more of your income then the payment would bring you back to normal income.

There isn't a definition of 'significant' but be sensible, if you can show losses and you need the money then apply. If you have losses and can get by maybe don't claim.

It's up to you really but if HMRC come knocking would you be confident to justify your definition of 'significant'? Just remember that HMRC can go back over your accounts for last 7 years!!!!!
Accounts?? What are they??

I wasn't going to but as all they're bothered about is London I thought sod em. Will claim it and leave it in the bank. If they want it back they'll have to ask nicely.

My turnover is higher than last year but, pre Covid, I had a new £10k a year contract in place to start April so without that I'd be down. Still losing £120 a month on not doing 2 pubs and with other Care Home jobs put back, some internal work etc etc  I'm down circa £250 a month minimum.

I saw my accountant today and asked him if I should claim the grant as I weren’t sure if I should as I’m only down £165 per month plus quite a few shops during the latest lockdown. He said if I’m not sure about claiming then don’t claim. The revenue will be checking claimants thoroughly...... eventually 

No disrespect intended, but thats just an opinion.  I think hmrc should define "significant".  I haven't done my month end yet, but anticipate maybe 20% down which any business prior to the virus would describe as a significant downturn in turnover.  I have several big commercial jobs on hold still, the pubs and hotels round here might not reopen with the current restrictions and the shops i do have been closed.  I've also had 2 franchisees unable to work due to self isolating.  

I think 20% is enough to claim, but thats just my opinion...

Look 2 posts above. 

That is off hmrc site.

I lost a chunk of commercial work.

Not a massive amount but I call it a significant amount. 

As website says it's no set amount just common sense.
Yeh you would be on more surer ground than me.  Im literally just two little houses down and an estate agent. I didnt get much anyway so will leave it. 

All I would say is this 3rd grant has changed from a period point of view as well. So gov have said only claim if you feel you will have made a significant loss over the whole tax year, not just the period Nov to Jan. You have to decide what a significant loss is, but it has to be over the whole year. So if your year end accounts are down on last year, claim it. If they aren't don't.

Latest Posts

Back