Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Window cleaning round for sale Teesside - UPDATE IN 2024

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Once the event has happened there is no escaping the consequences you can’t shut up shop and think it will all go away
I doubt he thinks it is going away but nothing stopping someone doing a runner to another country away from extradition people have been doing it for decades.

It would be appalling for the family who have had a relative die because of someone's greed and blatant negligence

I doubt he thinks it is going away but nothing stopping someone doing a runner to another country away from extradition people have been doing it for decades.

It would be appalling for the family who have had a relative die because of someone's greed and blatant negligence

The director of this company had a jail term and disqualified from being a director for 5 years. Poor worker suffered life changing injuries.

The director of this company had a jail term and disqualified from being a director for 5 years. Poor worker suffered life changing injuries.
Yes and in the worst cases it’s a charge of corporate manslaughter if someone dies I certain don’t want to cast any aspersions in this case as I don’t have all the facts but have first hand known of similar situations ware ones have been charged with this when an employee dies and it’s not always just large firms that end up in court on theses charges many small businesses etc have be bankrupt buy the fines and owners imprisoned

Last edited:
Interesting thread. Always make me wonder what would happen if someone tripped over a hose on the pavement, banged their head and killed themselves... what would the outcome of that be? It's on a public path and surely the responsibility lands on the owners shoulders, insurance wouldn't cover it as it's negligent. I don't have hoses on pavements but I've seen lots that do and often thought they wouldn't have a leg to stand on if someone tripped over.

Seen a lot of things that the owner would most likely be liable if anything went wrong.

Interesting thread. Always make me wonder what would happen if someone tripped over a hose on the pavement, banged their head and killed themselves... what would the outcome of that be? It's on a public path and surely the responsibility lands on the owners shoulders, insurance wouldn't cover it as it's negligent. I don't have hoses on pavements but I've seen lots that do and often thought they wouldn't have a leg to stand on if someone tripped over.

Seen a lot of things that the owner would most likely be liable if anything went wrong.
Put out warning signs about trailing hoses. It might not stop someone from tripping but at least you did your best to alert people of the hose. Also use brightly coloured hose, again to to do your best to highlight the hose.

Put out warning signs about trailing hoses. It might not stop someone from tripping but at least you did your best to alert people of the hose. Also use brightly coloured hose, again to to do your best to highlight the hose.
Yes that would probably be classed as not being negligent, but personally I've never seen any signs out. The latest one was this week, a two man operation, van parked on left side of the road, a well used through road of an estate. Van doors were left open, one hose was trailing to the left across a pavement and to the houses on the left, the other hose was going across the road, across the opposite pavement to the houses on the right, no signs and no signs whatsoever. I see things like this often and in my opinion they are leaving themselves open to a liable claim should anything 'out of the ordinary' go wrong, and although it might be unlikely it doesn't mean nothing will ever go wrong like the guy being talked about can now vouch for.

I'm guilty of not putting out warning signs as well.
When we did our nvq, they did stress the need to put out warning signs. I had to replace the signage on ours as they said it didn't include a warning to beware of objects falling from height.

I do put out 2 warning cones, on the pavement, 1 close to road side and the other by the property side of pavement. The hose lays in between the cones so anyone has to pass the cone before reaching the hose. The cones don't say anything about stuff falling from height, just trailing hoses and window cleaning in progress.
Maybe I have just lived in iffy areas but I would never work with my van doors open. It would be too easy for someone to just walk off with a pole or brush etc, just not worth the risk.

We use cones etc on commercial jobs but not on domestics , not going to speak to soon but never had a problem with anyone tripping over it but using floor rollers in the van and hot water the hose is always flat and on the ground and we do make sure we don't leave coils of hose on a pavement or road it’s always in straight lines , it becomes a way of life after a while and part of your working routine to check its ok

We use cones etc on commercial jobs but not on domestics , not going to speak to soon but never had a problem with anyone tripping over it but using floor rollers in the van and hot water the hose is always flat and on the ground and we do make sure we don't leave coils of hose on a pavement or road it’s always in straight lines , it becomes a way of life after a while and part of your working routine to check its ok
I think that complacency is the problem. Like you say 'you've never had a problem'... well the guy who's employee died would probably have said before the accident something along the lines of 'in 10 years of working like this we've never had a problem...' the problem came in the 11th year.

This is the thing with health and safety. Nothing should ever be a problem but it's for us to take the necessary precautions just in case there is a problem. Same with everything we do.

I have to constantly remind myself to slow down when I'm getting the step ladders out. It's so easy to just be trying to get through the work quickly but some things are just not worth the risk and quickly positioning the step ladder and running up it without considering what's around it is an easy thing to do when it's the same thing month in month out.

It sounds boring and probably over the top in some instances but when things go wrong and they often do as we all hear about window cleaners having accidents, well those people would likely say to not take risks as it's not worth it.

Very easy to become complacent.

For a recent commercial contract I've had to buy and use 4 warning cones. I'll be keeping 2 in the van for domestic work I'm thinking. Easiest would be a couple of magnetic ones I could put on the back and side of van but I suppose might not be described as being visible.

I could never work with van doors open as too much gear that could be lifted. When you see cleaners with both back doors open you think where's all your other gear for trad/gutters, spare brushes but when I talk to some.of them they don't carry all that extra stuff lol. Maybe I'm a tackle tart so to speak. Luckily most public don't realise the cost of poles, brushes etc unlike power tools where a scally could have a field day in an unlocked van. My hose reel sits on the road behind van with doors locked/closed at least if working next to it.

I always wince when I see back doors open on windy days and public walking by, so easy for a door to swing past it's locking point and do some real damage. It's happened when I've been in other jobs luckily on sites with no public but catches you unaware sometimes.

I treated myself to a hi viz hose over xmas. I know sad
:ROFLMAO: but its amazing the amount of my custys who have straight away commented on how bright they are so they obviously do the job and it makes me feel more reassured that I have gone about my work in the safest way possible. I use 3 cones also.

Yes that would probably be classed as not being negligent, but personally I've never seen any signs out. The latest one was this week, a two man operation, van parked on left side of the road, a well used through road of an estate. Van doors were left open, one hose was trailing to the left across a pavement and to the houses on the left, the other hose was going across the road, across the opposite pavement to the houses on the right, no signs and no signs whatsoever. I see things like this often and in my opinion they are leaving themselves open to a liable claim should anything 'out of the ordinary' go wrong, and although it might be unlikely it doesn't mean nothing will ever go wrong like the guy being talked about can now vouch for.
This is the norm, there is more chance of them getting something nicked from the van leaving the doors open.

I could put a cone at the front and back of my van but that would be it, I couldn't be carrying cones around with me up to 100 metres from the van the decent cones as I have are heavy so they don't blow over in the wind I stopped using them years ago after stopping most commercial jobs, a bloke with a white stick has stepped over my hose when I offered to move it anyone who is going to trip over a bright red hose on a tarmac pavement needs there eyes testing and there common sense

I could never work with van doors open as too much gear that could be lifted. When you see cleaners with both back doors open you think where's all your other gear for trad/gutters, spare brushes but when I talk to some.of them they don't carry all that extra stuff lol. Maybe I'm a tackle tart so to speak. Luckily most public don't realise the cost of poles, brushes etc unlike power tools where a scally could have a field day in an unlocked van. My hose reel sits on the road behind van with doors locked/closed at least if working next to it.

I always wince when I see back doors open on windy days and public walking by, so easy for a door to swing past it's locking point and do some real damage. It's happened when I've been in other jobs luckily on sites with no public but catches you unaware sometimes.
I'm the same, just someone lifting my toolbox out of my van with tools and multiple spares would be a headache and costly to replace, never mind lifting a pole out of the van which would be £100's to replace, not just some scally though looking to make some quick money I wouldn't trust another cleaner either especially the state of some I see so my van is always locked

Latest Posts

Back