Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Window cleaning training

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Gardiners back pack is the most common option. Easily fixed if they break. Depends how you plan to work really, you can build a trolley system for £130-150 which would be more suited to completing an entire days work IMO. The backpack is much more versatile, it can be taken through peoples houses if there is no other access, it can be easily taken through tight spaces, don't have to watch out for dog poo as much etc etc. Either option is much much cheaper than a trailer system 

Was just watching this before you posted 

Depends how you plan to work really

What do you mean. 

Last edited by a moderator:
The backpack is ok, but not ideal if your doing bigger properties.

Constantly filling it up is bad for the wallet and your back.

Couldn’t imagine doing my round using only a trolley or backpack ?

There's a reason why we all use dedicated vans and not one of those huge trailers.

You will find pulling that thing around a nightmare, I cant imagine trying to get parked on most of my residential work with that great big thing attached.
I window cleaner passed me the other week in an L200 and pulling what I guessed to be an 1125 litre water bowser must have been about 28ft long combined length ?

I will repeat what I said Jason

There's a reason we all use dedicated vans (with van mounted systems)

It's the best and most efficient way to clean domestic windows.

If you try to cut corners, do it on the cheap by using a trailer or trolleys etc you are only shooting yourself in the foot.

Most of us will have used backpacks and trolleys when starting out, along with other inferior items such as cheap poles etc. 

Do what you want at the end of the day, buy a backpack and a bowser, I will wait for your next post in a years time on what van mount to buy.

Thanks everyone. Like I said it'll be a trail run for now but I'm confident it'll work. The Unger hydro is the route I'm going for now looks semple, tidy and portable. 

Thanks everyone. Like I said it'll be a trail run for now but I'm confident it'll work. The Unger hydro is the route I'm going for now looks semple, tidy and portable. 
Woah there cowboy.... those things are mega expensive for what they are. The refill bags are substantially more expensive than a normal DI Vessel. First things first you need to know what your TDS is. If you're in a hard water area a DI vessel will cost a fortune. In some cases it would make purifying water for window cleaning unprofitable.

First thing you need to do is get a TDS meter. You can get them from reputable suppliers such as Gardiner pole systems or a cheap one from eBay. If you decide to get a cheap £3 one from eBay buy 2 from different sellers and take a reading with both as they won't necessarily be 100% accurate. Once you know your TDS you can decide what type of system you need.

Right just bough a Prozor TDS&EC meter of amazon now. Ill be back with results. 

What other DI systems are recommended. 

I've got a 4040 RO which is the absolute top of the range with a HF5 membrane. It purifies into a 1000L IBC tank. I fill directly into the van with a flood pump. 500 Litre tank in the van with 100psi Shurflo pump that delivers the pure water to 100m of hose and then the pole. 

You can use 25-50 litres of water, more in some cases and a lot more on first cleans. If the customer is on a water meter they wouldn't be happy... If i'm 100% honest with you i'm waiting for someone to come on here and blow their top at you that you've done no research. My honest advice is the TDS meter is the best place to start, now thats on its way get on Youtube and do some research. You need to look at van systems, purification systems, advice on technique etc etc etc.... Your questions read a little as if you've just thought ''I offer X Y & Z service now so I'll add window cleaning'' and come straight on here. In order to understand some of the answers and some of the reasoning behind peoples advice you need to understand a little more about the job itself.

The absolute best way to get to grips with all of this is to go and spend a day with a local windy. Offer to buy them lunch and wind the hose back into the van for them and they will possibly help you.

Don't know about asking a local to help me get into business ? 

Interested to see my TDS next week. The kettle has a small bit of limescale build up, nothing like out last house. 

I've saved a bit of cash so I don't mind getting good quality equipment as I know how much time good equipment saves

There must be 1000 pages of all of this information on this site. I'm all for people starting Up...good luck to them but they should have the drive to find all the information they need.

Why spoon feed people with seriously basic information?

There must be 1000 pages of all of this information on this site. I'm all for people starting Up...good luck to them but they should have the drive to find all the information they need.

Agreed . . . . . .

Well that took longer than expected ???

If i'm 100% honest with you i'm waiting for someone to come on here and blow their top at you that you've done no research.

With an R.O depends how fast you need to fill.

I have a 450gpd R.O and fill into a 1000l Ibc static tank.

Not sure exactly how long it takes to fill it but it's something like 24 hours.

I use about 3000l of pure a week and never come close to running out as long as I don't forget to turn the tap on.

Back