Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Window cleaning training

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I did, and thousands of others have in different business's. Some people have the attitude that if someone else can do it so can I. This industry isn't exactly rocket science. 
No it isn't but this was the comment that made me think someone would blow....

I guess I'd have to get tds readings in multiple areas. I'm planning to work with-in a 30 mile radius
Your advice (and many others on here) has been valuable to me since I started but I always try to establish what my question is before I asked in the early days.

No it isn't but this was the comment that made me think someone would blow....

Your advice (and many others on here) has been valuable to me since I started but I always try to establish what my question is before I asked in the early days.
I only found out about hard and soft water after I approached a company, Pure Freedom, about installing a full van mounted system with a 2 man hot water system. I was going to throw circa £8k at a company without knowing the basics. The OP doesn't know what he's doing, many on here still don't, but to have a go at him is wrong, in my opinion. Anyway back to the beer and rugby. Fosters £2 a pint in The White Hart on Newmarket High Street ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I only found out about hard and soft water after I approached a company, Pure Freedom, about installing a full van mounted system with a 2 man hot water system. I was going to throw circa £8k at a company without knowing the basics. The OP doesn't know what he's doing, many on here still don't, but to have a go at him is wrong, in my opinion. Anyway back to the beer and rugby. Fosters £2 a pint in The White Hart on Newmarket High Street ?
But you knew you needed a van mounted system and called a company for advice. The other day I read a thread where someone was trying to double DI water above 400TDS and I didn't think anything of it, that is just a lack of knowledge.

I have no issue with giving advice on the questions and carried on to help but I could see that others would. I can see why people would take offence too, long gone are the days where anyone with a ladder, bucket and squeegee can become a window cleaner. I too didn't know the difference between hard and soft water areas but I found out enough about it before I set my sights on window cleaning. In the last few years a lot more information has become available. There are tons of people making youtube videos, websites about it and much much more. There would have been far less resources when you started... I'm not offended personally and always carry on helping but I can see why some would potentially find it disrespectful to our trade.

£2 is cheap but what do they charge for a decent pint ?

But you knew you needed a van mounted system and called a company for advice. The other day I read a thread where someone was trying to double DI water above 400TDS and I didn't think anything of it, that is just a lack of knowledge.

I have no issue with giving advice on the questions and carried on to help but I could see that others would. I can see why people would take offence too, long gone are the days where anyone with a ladder, bucket and squeegee can become a window cleaner. I too didn't know the difference between hard and soft water areas but I found out enough about it before I set my sights on window cleaning. In the last few years a lot more information has become available. There are tons of people making youtube videos, websites about it and much much more. There would have been far less resources when you started... I'm not offended personally and always carry on helping but I can see why some would potentially find it disrespectful to our trade.

£2 is cheap but what do they charge for a decent pint ?
I didn't even know what my water was until I tried to buy their system. Didn't know about statics or anything, but I'm old school, 9 years ago there wasn't any information online regarding it. If there was I doubt I would've found it. 

First 6 pints have been OK, hope the next 6 are as good ?

I didn't even know what my water was until I tried to buy their system. Didn't know about statics or anything, but I'm old school, 9 years ago there wasn't any information online regarding it. If there was I doubt I would've found it. 

First 6 pints have been OK, hope the next 6 are as good ?
Yesterday my mates and I done a pub crawl (home fro Tenerife today) and one of the bars was 90c a pint!! 

Thats about 80p!

Almost glad it isn’t that cheap here, think I’d be dead ?

Yesterday my mates and I done a pub crawl (home fro Tenerife today) and one of the bars was 90c a pint!! 

Thats about 80p!

Almost glad it isn’t that cheap here, think I’d be dead ?
Everyone keeps telling me that down south everything is more expensive than "up North" Wish I could get 10 pints for £20 back home. Would save me £50 a week ?

I did, and thousands of others have in different business's. Some people have the attitude that if someone else can do it so can I. This industry isn't exactly rocket science. 
I’ve always wondered though, what do rocket scientists say to use as a illustration of something being difficult?? 

What makes me smile on this thread is a couple of factors.  

1: The OP looking for training - in almost any other trade you will apprentice, spend time, invest in tools some cases pay for training courses so why should it be different for our industry? Sure you can learn most of the practical in a day but you still need to learn somehow.  

You are moving into an industry that can produce a turnover of in excess of £300 but people want to 'tag along' be 'a helper' for a few days.  Tag a longs and 'helpers' are no value to an established window cleaner but the established window cleaner is of infinite value to the 'tag along / helper' 

I get asked 4 - 5 times a month by people if they can come work with me for a day to learn what I know and here's the part that has me p*****g myself laughing, they always offer their service to me 'for free' 

I have always offered a days training to window cleaners to learn the practical side of cleaning windows and how to manage the business and always tell them the same thing the price is £350 for the day.  Why? If you cant be bothered to invest £350 (potentially one days take) to get my systems handed to you on a plate then you aren't serious about learning. 

2: Again it turns into 'how many pints a week' I can drink. ?

** Quick edit to the above I forgot to mention earlier... 

Of the 4 or 5 per month that ask for training when given a price of £350 only 5 have taken it up in over 2 years.  I guess training has no value to the other 100 plus that want something for free.  

Last edited by a moderator:
You need an RO mate. You'll need to purify the water at home and carry it with you. You can still use a backpack or trolley type system but would need to carry the water in 25L containers that way.
Thanks a million, that would have been a big mistake if I bought the hydropower. Appreciate it. 

Back