Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Working in the rain.

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I have learned to tell customers that I don't reschedule for rain. I used to fish for a living and there was no such thing as not working in rainy weather.

I was also Infantry for a long time "If it ain't raining we ain't training."

Worked all week wearing shorts

Sore shoulders on Wednesday (estate full of town houses) and left 2 jobs that afternoon when it got to the point I couldn't see even with the wipers on full in the van but apart from that just a normal week

I have learned to tell customers that I don't reschedule for rain. I used to fish for a living and there was no such thing as not working in rainy weather.

"I'm not coming out on excercise today it's a bit wet" wouldn't have gone down well when I did my stint

i work in all weather be it rain snow or sun, money is money and the windows will still be clean it could rain 2 mins after or 2 days after it will not matter 
I work by the same rule you have basically said what I would say. A decent waterproof jacket is a must I got myself one of these Sprayway Jacket in the half-price sale a while back I usually prefer my workwear to have my logo but for rainy days I ain't that bothered, I've not really had a good opportunity to test other than walking my dog in the pouring rain for an hour yesterday but it's also a fairly windproof as well better than my Skogstad jacket which was more expensive 

I thought that Alaskans were a whole load tougher ?

I work by the same rule you have basically said what I would say. A decent waterproof jacket is a must I got myself one of these Sprayway Jacket in the half-price sale a while back I usually prefer my workwear to have my logo but for rainy days I ain't that bothered, I've not really had a good opportunity to test other than walking my dog in the pouring rain for an hour yesterday but it's also a fairly windproof as well better than my Skogstad jacket which was more expensive 

I thought that Alaskans were a whole load tougher ?
I guess I didn't phrase that correctly. What I was trying to say is that I have learned to tell customers that I don't cancel because of rain.

On a forum that has lots of my countrymen (Mericans) south of me, in the Lower 48 as we refer to that area of the country, I had to ask why they were always cancelling on rainy days. 

"Lightning" was the response. There's no lightning where I live. That just hadn't occurred to me. I had just assumed that they were made of sugar and were afraid of melting in the rain.

Not worked in the rain as a window cleaner yet but in a previous occupation I did. As long as i've got enough warm layers, water proof coat and footwear anything goes lol.

It's the cold I have a problem with so a thick fleece and thick coat is essential if i'm going out in the elements.

Glad to hear most of you lads work in the rain I'm hesitant to do it but want to as the bills don't go away, gets me down if I lose a customer luckily it doesn't happen that often and I'm always getting new ones but here in northern Ireland any cleaners I no rarely work if the rain is on for the day, sure if its showers it's not so bad but normally I let my gutter work build up and do them on the wet days.

Working in the rain is only rotten when you have got man-flu. Believe me, I used to work outdoors a decade back and it was awful.

Wrap up warm, keep taking vitamin C to give the immune system fuel to do its job and use a good waterproof coat.

I work in showers and drizzle and have pruned out all of the "not today it looks like rain" types.

Or I thought I had. Week before last it was showery and I had just completed Mr. R_____'s windows. He looked at me and said "Do your other customers accept you cleaning in this weather?"

I replied with "Yes they do,  besides it's not raining at the moment anyway."

He came back with "You surprise me." (Which I took to mean he didn't want his cleaning but he didn't quite have the nerve to say so)

So I said "Occasionally a customer tells me not to clean in the rain Mr. R________ but I don't mind that because when I feel my service is unappreciated they quickly become an ex-customer you see."

"Right you are, see you next month!" he said, understanding completely where he stood.

Speeds up the cleaning process working in the rain, brush just glides across the wet glass. Rain and a bit of snow this morning early on...

Bright sunny day in Wales ☀️, where you to Rowan?
Sutherland, in the Scottish Highlands.

Speeds up the cleaning process working in the rain, brush just glides across the wet glass. Rain and a bit of snow this morning early on...
Maybe once upon a time , but not for me nowadays.

Better off inside today the woodburners alight the house is cosy and a big fry up for lunch.

Save yourselves a lot of hassle, do what I do:  When I'm quoting a job part of my spiel is "We work in all conditions, including pouring rain.  If we do yours while it's raining, our guarantee still stands - wait until everything's dried up then if they aren't clean phone us, we'll come back and do them again".  Never get called back, never get told 'not this time'.

I also email every new customer a written quotation and an introductory letter that has our guarantee in it.  That way if they argue, we can say "If you check the Introductory Letter we sent you, you'll see that it is part of our terms of service that we clean in all weathers, but we also guarantee to return and do them again if they aren't clean".

3rd April 2019

This is my Introductory Letter:

Dear ………..,

Thank you for your order for our window cleaning services.  A copy of our Quotation form is enclosed.

Our Franchisee …......... will be your window cleaner. Should you need to contact him his number
is …………………..

You do not have to be in when we clean the windows – most of our customers are out at work.

…………….will contact you by text or phone the evening before he comes so you can leave him access to the back if necessary.  We ensure that gates are closed and where possible secured when we leave.

Please make payment to the Franchisee, either by cash, cheque or BACS transfer – ……....... will provide
bank details if this is your preferred method.  If you are not in at the time of service he will leave a

‘Windows Cleaned’ ticket indicating the payment method.    

Telephone/text/email Quotations only:-

Our price is based on the information we were given and we try always to ensure the price is accurate.

Should our Franchisee note any significant reason why the price is not viable we may contact you to

arrange for a visual assessment and if necessary we may ask that you accept a revised price.

Please note our Guarantee:

Excluding the first visit, where there may be some slight spotting owing to previous build up of excessive dirt in joints, framework etc we offer the following guarantee:

We work in all weather conditions.

When we leave the job it will still be wet.  Please allow it to dry completely without touching any surfaces. 

When it is dry the finish will be perfect, if there is any problem with the result please contact ………...... within 24 hours and he will return and correct any faults to your satisfaction.  In the unlikely event of any recurring problem, please contact our office on………..  or…………..  and we will visit to identify the problem and ensure no future recurrence.

Yours sincerely,

Sutherland, in the Scottish Highlands.

Maybe once upon a time , but not for me nowadays.

Better off inside today the woodburners alight the house is cosy and a big fry up for lunch.
I shouldn't have spoken. Huge hail storm came down when i was up the ladder. Couldn't see the stuff in the gutter to clear it out There were so many hailstones ? and its been naff since

sometimes its best to just stay at home.

Save yourselves a lot of hassle, do what I do:  When I'm quoting a job part of my spiel is "We work in all conditions, including pouring rain.  If we do yours while it's raining, our guarantee still stands - wait until everything's dried up then if they aren't clean phone us, we'll come back and do them again".  Never get called back, never get told 'not this time'.

I also email every new customer a written quotation and an introductory letter that has our guarantee in it.  That way if they argue, we can say "If you check the Introductory Letter we sent you, you'll see that it is part of our terms of service that we clean in all weathers, but we also guarantee to return and do them again if they aren't clean".
No hassle , i just don't like getting soaked anymore .

I worked through the showers today but got too bad 2ish so did gutter work ended up a good day considering money wise

Last edited by a moderator:
Well we’ve had the lot today. Hailstones, thunder, lightening, torrential rain. Still got the round done ? ducked for cover in the van when the ⚡️ bolts started flying. energy levels sapped to a meagre 2/10 by 1030am, went to selcos, builders breakfast coooor i was born again after that. Felt like i could do 10 rounds with mike tyson 

Latest Posts

Back