Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Workong for someone

WCF

Help Support WCF:

JayJones

Hi I am wondering if any other people have any advice.
I am currently working part time for a window cleaner and also as a self-employed handyman.
He employes me for fixed hours a week on fixed days. However when he needs to run an erand at home or is unable (not bothered) to work or there is bad weather (abit of rain) he expects me to make hours up on other days.

Question is if you employ some and don't have work due to bad weather or no jobs should you pay them contracted hours or expect them to make the time up. I know sometimes things have to move around but constant changing of plans is starting to get me down as I can earn more myself but don't have enough work to keep me going full time.

As far as I know if most of your work is from him. You should have a contact. If not he can class you as freelance and therefore no contract needed. This is the way HMRC explained it to me anyway.

Do you invoice him? Does he pay you and deduct tax, national insurance etc? i.e. are you self employed or employed by him?

If you are not happy then you have a few options.
You could have a chat with him and try and agree on what happens with bad weather etc...
You could try and find more Handy Man work and then stop working for him.
You could learn as much as you can about making/buying pure water, what equipment you use etc. Then invest in a window cleaning setup yourself (don't steal customers or undercut as that might cause friction!) and start up as a window cleaner and Handy Man - once you have window cleaning customers it should lead to more handy man work as customers like to trust people that they have already used for other work.

Just turn up for work on bad weather days... that's when he expects you to work, tell him you see there waiting for his instruction.

Hi I am wondering if any other people have any advice.
I am currently working part time for a window cleaner and also as a self-employed handyman.
He employes me for fixed hours a week on fixed days. However when he needs to run an erand at home or is unable (not bothered) to work or there is bad weather (abit of rain) he expects me to make hours up on other days.

Question is if you employ some and don't have work due to bad weather or no jobs should you pay them contracted hours or expect them to make the time up. I know sometimes things have to move around but constant changing of plans is starting to get me down as I can earn more myself but don't have enough work to keep me going full time.
If you contact your local Tax Office or call them, I'm sure they will help you out.

It depends on what you agreed in your contract when you first started. Our job is weather dependant so especially in the winter months you can find that you need to shuffle things around to different days. My worker gets a fixed wage every week provided all the work is finished by the end of the week even if that means doing a bit on a Saturday to make up. If for what ever reason the work is not finished and he hasn’t used any hols or pre arranged unpaid leave then he is paid an hourly base rate at just over minimum wage which is a considerable amount less than his fixed wage. This way there is a financial incentive for him to complete all weeks work which benefits us both whilst maintaining he is always paid above minimum wage no matter what.

It depends on what you agreed in your contract when you first started. Our job is weather dependant so especially in the winter months you can find that you need to shuffle things around to different days. My worker gets a fixed wage every week provided all the work is finished by the end of the week even if that means doing a bit on a Saturday to make up. If for what ever reason the work is not finished and he hasn’t used any hols or pre arranged unpaid leave then he is paid an hourly base rate at just over minimum wage which is a considerable amount less than his fixed wage. This way there is a financial incentive for him to complete all weeks work which benefits us both whilst maintaining he is always paid above minimum wage no matter what.
The guy changes his rounds and what day we do each bit all the time. Every four weeks are different.
I am currently looking at expanding my own work and hopefully will drop working for him.

Assuming this is all done unofficially on a cash in hand basis it's hardly surprising. If you want legit terms and conditions you need a legit job.
That's not a criticism of you because you do what you need to do, you just can't be too surprised by his attitude.

Assuming this is all done unofficially on a cash in hand basis it's hardly surprising. If you want legit terms and conditions you need a legit job.
That's not a criticism of you because you do what you need to do, you just can't be too surprised by his attitude.
It is all legitimate. However he doesn't have a clue on how to act with an employee

Fair enough mate, no offence intended - make a break then and steer clear. If you're setting up on your own you don't want to be associated with him and concentrate on earning in your own right.

if rain stops play it means no pay. id hate paying someone not working because of bad weather especially if i wasnt getting paid. cash in hand get paid on day after work . % of takings.

Back