Worth getting a van (p/t window cleaner)while doing another job?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by purpleroad, Dec 24, 2015.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. purpleroad

purpleroad Newcomer

My friend has a job, (not secure). He is able to get out in the afternoons and clean windows and also on Saturdays. He does it in his car, but driving to the lockup, carrying barrels into car and other equipment is time consuming. Having a van with a tank would be so much easier. Financially is it worth having a van and a car out of interest?

Other issue, is if he gets a van (without car) his now inconspicuous p/t business wouldn't be able to be hidden. How can you drive a van and then deny you are working in some way? Consequently, he might lose work, as everyone earns little money anyway at his PAYEE job and this extra job would make people jealous and the manager would say " well he has his other job, he doesn't need as much work here as my other employees, I will cut his hours!" (Well possibly!)

Any ideas on what to do?

Advertisement
  2. boarcity

boarcity Guest

is this friend actually You

if it isnt you- let Him worry about his dilemma you crack on wi what your doin

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. TolishAPurd

So far it sounds like this is just a fiddle job with no tax or insurance being paid. Theres enough people running around doing that already, and they are usually the ones that make my prices look expensive. So I'm out until proven otherwise.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. adamangler

adamangler Wakefield Window Warrior

Firstly theres no reason you cant register as a legitamate business whilst being employed, ive done this for two years.

Theres no need to by dodgy In my first year i made about 2 grand loss with buying all the gear so no extra tax to pay

In my second year i was part time employed and part time windows, i still bought loads od gear for the business so again hardly paid any tax

you only pay tax on 10 grand combined remember

As to wether its financially viable to have both vehicles, only you can decide. I have a car and a van id rather just have a van as i only need the car once a week but i do need the car.

Another option is a crew van or pick up but both have their limitations.

As for the made up scenario of losing hours at his PAYE job thats not a consideration just a figment of his negative imagination.

One thing i will say is trying to both jobs will drive him (you?) nuts

your stuck in work when its nice weather and cant get windows done in **** weather, you work half of the day then jump in the van to get changed and try to squeeze a couple hours window cleaning in when it gets dark, its a nightmare

If he/you does decide to do windows alongside another job go as hard as you can as quick as you can and aim to quit the employed job asap dont drag it out, i have done for over a year and it achieves very little

Infact in hindsight if i was to do it again, instead of trying to do both jobs at once. i would stay in my employed job, practice on my own windows, get a website setup, get all the gear, save as much as possible and look to buy a round. then quit and go full time

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Danfire

Danfire Well-Known Member

I had a similar dilemma. Started cleaning using the family estate which was ok but my wife kept throwing a spanner in the works by needing the car when I wanted to be cleaning. I got an mx5 restored which I thought she could drive but I don't want it driven in the rain so it's become a garage queen. I've taken the plunge and bought a van, I've really got more vehicles than I need now but I love the 5 so can't see me getting rid of that. I'm looking forward to a massive reduction of wasted loading time in the new year. Another advantage is the extra advertising if you need more Windows and the van is 100% tax deductible (so long as there is no private use).

6. Taxlossloz

Taxlossloz Grand Master

boarcity
    For me that is quote of the year
    Love it

7. Duncs

Duncs Grand Master

sure boar is right are you testing the water with your wee toe
    i can read you like the bible

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. adamangler

adamangler Wakefield Window Warrior

Be aware it depends how you do your tax whether a van is tax deducatable

i use the simplified expenses which is based purely on mileage

9. Bingo

Bingo Grand Master

If you don't like how I've altered your post above, then.... that's too bad....but that's how your 1st post on this Forum has come across.

10. Danfire

Danfire Well-Known Member

Can you explain. As I understand it the purchase cost of the van and all associated expenses (and all other operating costs) come off of my income for the year and I will pay 20% tax on the residual profit. I believe the rules are now I can either take the van purchase cost as a one off expense or depreciate it over up to three years.

Advertisement