Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Would You Go Back?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

So, just had this message as part of a email enquiry.

‘hi could you start doing my windows again my partner not fit any
moreand send me bank details thanks’

I haven’t edited it, that’s how it was typed.

She was always a good payer but cancelled a year or two ago because I was ‘too expensive’. What’s everyone’s thoughts? I normally ignore these ones but I’m not sure about this one. It was an easy job and paid well. And I never had to chase her.

She was always a good payer but cancelled a year or two ago because I was ‘too expensive’. What’s everyone’s thoughts? I normally ignore these ones but I’m not sure about this one. It was an easy job and paid well. And I never had to chase her.
It depends on you really , we don’t take ex customers back under any circumstances,, but it’s rare that we dump any theses days if you want to take her back then do so if not ignore and block the number.

Nothing wrong with why they canceled in the first place tbh, it wasn't to go with someone cheaper, to save paying the increase they decided it was something that could be done themselfs, nothing wrong with that at all tbh. Now it's not manageable they haven't decided to try shop around, they have called you back. If its where your already working your the only one who has anything to loose out of this by not taking them back.

Knock them back while thinking in your head il show them, next month there's a new window cleaner in the street as she had to go somewhere else. I'm not saying he'd take any work from you but I bet we all have customers on our rounds who aren't 100% happy with the service, whether it be price, the work, or they might just have a dislike for us. The only reason these type of people don't cancel is because they don't see anyone else in there street cleaning them. If they were a pita I wouldn't go back, a woman phoned me before saying she cab get the windows done for £8 instead of paying me £16, I hated her, she was a *****, I said its a no brainer then, il take you off the sheet. After a few months she called back saying shel pay £16 again and I told her I wouldn't be back. The neighbour told me about a year later that there on there 3rd window cleaner after me now. I did tell her out of hundreds of customers monthly the only problem I ever have is with her, I said on that basis maybe I'm not the problem here.

I think you are all missing the point the issue I think it's the blunt message with no clear indication of who the sender is, these types of blunt messages annoy me and a far better message would have been as follows.

Hi, it's Wendy from 33 Cleanwell Avenue we had to cancel your services 1-2 years ago due to a change in circumstances I was just wondering if you could restart and what the cost would be. Thanks

Hey all,
Good to hear all your opinions. I think I will take her back as, like some of you pointed out, better than a brand new customer who could potentially be a PITA.

@Iron Giant Sorry that was my mistake. It was a contact form on my website and did include her name, address etc. I just left that part out & just included the ‘comments’ she had left.

Hey all,
Good to hear all your opinions. I think I will take her back as, like some of you pointed out, better than a brand new customer who could potentially be a PITA.

@Iron Giant Sorry that was my mistake. It was a contact form on my website and did include her name, address etc. I just left that part out & just included the ‘comments’ she had left.
Ahh, I stand corrected, I just sometimes get blunt messages of people via text and they expect me to know who they are I also get some very polite text messages and I've no idea who the customer is by their phone number

If they were fine in the past and didn't jump to another cleaner then I'd have no issue taking them back on, it's when they state a change in circumstances and go to someone else but have you believing that they no longer can afford the expense and you are at some point expecting them to get back in touch and they have clearly got to another cleaner.

Why not!?

Thanks for your advice. I sent her a quote over, which was more than before and included a first clean. She went for it. So win win!
If they had been an OK customer in the past, then I would consider taking them back. But if they start with issues this time, then I would tell them that they don't fit my customer profile, and they should look for another cleaner. If I see them in the street or when I'm cleaning in their area, I will always greet them and ask them how they are.

Following on from the "would you go back" title, I had one today that I'd value some opinions on.
Bit of background, they can be a bit sporadic, miss a payment here or there and catch up on 2nd clean (which is normal for a lot of people nowdays), gate is usually opened when I arrive rather than ready for when I get there.
Got there today, gate is wide open "Great, theyve remembered" thinks me.........nope! Get round the back and the husband is painting all the window frames.
Conversation as follows
H:"sorry mate, im painting the frames today"
R: "oh, ok, did you not get the message last night about me coming?" (gets texts the day before like 90% of customers).
H:"Yeah"

at this point I think he half twigged what I was getting at, that and probably the look of disbelief on my face..
H: "well its a bit of an odd day to be working isnt it? Bank holiday and all that"

At this point 4 options came into my head, thankfully I picked option 4,
1. crack him over the head with the pole for being such an idiot
2. Tell him in rather curt terms that he can actually send me a message to let me know
3. Run the WFP all over his freshly painted frames
4. Say nothing-ish.

Replied with something along the lines of "for someone who has been sick for 3 weeks unpaid trying to catch up on work, a weekday is a perfectly normal time to be here??"

He then suggested I clean just the fronts only...
99.9% thinking im not going back, its just the house is perfectly positioned with 2 other homes so I can do them all without moving the van for a decent price which is swaying me a little, but at the same time, I've probably lost enough from the missed gate openings etc that I could have just had a smaller, regular house dropped in its place and made more money.

I have to say I agree with him I wouldn’t appreciate it if the window cleaner turning up on a bank holiday either I would sack them on the spot , but in fairness I think he should have txt you back letting you know . Choice is yours keep or dump we dont mind skipping a job for a genuine reason but if it’s an excuse it’s an instant dump .

He should have replied to your text. That's half the point of a text the night before.
If it fits in with other work then I would be inclined to wait a month or 2 then jack his price up and let him decide if your new price is worth it or not :)

Latest Posts

Back