Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

You will not get them prices round here

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Were in Cheshire, and for us, I've put our minimum charge to £13.00, I've had a quite a few cancellations since I started adding the v.a.t onto the price. 

Also had a few custys ring up this week because door knockers are going round saying they can do them for £10, on a property we charge £15.00 for. Asking for a price match! 

Empolying 3 staff on a salary and running costs, I couldn't justify any lower £13.00!
Many years ago my late brother once told me that in business there are two types of money: business money and residential money. 

Businesses try to get work done at residential rates but residential customers wouldn't accept business rates.

When you start employing then you step into the business arena.

I didn't really relate to what he said at the time but now I'm self employed i do now.

I had a guy the other week offering to clean some of my 4 bedders for £8(I charge £16)...i didn't lose any as I've been cleaning them for 8+ years....their also due a price rise in april...

Have a look at an online inflation calculator....you will be surprised how much £10 is worth now compared to a few years ago....

I had a guy the other week offering to clean some of my 4 bedders for £8(I charge £16)...i didn't lose any as I've been cleaning them for 8+ years....their also due a price rise in april...

Have a look at an online inflation calculator....you will be surprised how much £10 is worth now compared to a few years ago....
I get that in Wales sometimes especially up in some parts of the valleys. Some guys are doing 4 bed detached houses with a connie for £8-£9. 

I have things were I know exactly what it costs to provide the service. There isn't a great deal of wiggle room, so when customers seem like they're wanting it too low, or tyre kickers, I am not interested.

I couldn't care less what others are charging, if someone wants to do houses I would charge £15 for, for £8. Then they can have them.

I have no doubt I can find customers who are willing to pay something fair. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I have things were I know exactly what it costs to provide the service. There isn't a great deal of wiggle room, so when customers seem like they're wanting it too low, or tyre kickers, I am not interested.

I couldn't care less what others are charging, if someone wants to do houses I would charge £15 for, for £8. Then they can have them.

100% agree. A cracking post.

If your clients are questioning your service because of a few quid here and there; you’re serving the wrong clients or your prices really are astronomical. I doubt the latter is the case with most.

There’s people charging good and bad money everywhere in the country.

It’s not worth getting your gear out of the van for under a tenner,

traditional window cleaning is dying, like a joiner using a hand saw all day.

times have changed and you will get your own prices eventually.

It’s not worth getting your gear out of the van for under a tenner,

traditional window cleaning is dying, like a joiner using a hand saw all day.

times have changed and you will get your own prices eventually.
That's probably so in some areas.  We had a trad cleaner doing 4 bedroom detached houses in an upmarket area for £6. He held those prices for years until he fell from his ladders and is confined to a wheelchair.

Unfortunately the legacy he left was not of his fall but rather that of his prices.

I had to smile the other day. I was watching a recording of Long Lost Family. The episode was taken in Hudderfield and the camera focused on a trad window cleaner working his round. (It was probably filmed in 2019 as Davina was in a 19 plate BMW and no one was wearing masks.) We just don't see many of them around these days, do we? I like that analogy you used of a joiner using a handsaw all day. ?

I think you make a very valid point. Know exactly what your costs are to provide that service. Mine fluctuate quite a bit each tax year depending on what I have to purchase equipment wise.  

Plenty around here, probably see as many trad as WFP's and they're not all old boys either.
There are a couple who clean the shop fronts in the village but I haven't seen the trad guy who used to clean bottom and first floor windows in the streets of Saltburn for a long time now.

There are a couple who clean the shop fronts in the village but I haven't seen the trad guy who used to clean bottom and first floor windows in the streets of Saltburn for a long time now.
Saltburn has a large number of traditional cleaners i gathered , a few of them have invested in a wfp system aswell.

I only been covering the area for the last 18 months ? not a bad area lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t even know why you would entertain what that window cleaner said. Have an hourly rate in mind what you work too and go out and get it. No point in getting frustrated with trad guys. I’m a trad guy who is currently making the switch to wfp. My hourly rate is less to what other people say on here and I’ve been happy with it. But am needing to start upping that now going down the wfp route. The funny thing is that this last year I’ve picked up at least a dozen jobs from people only wanting traditional as they ain’t been happy with the wfp. The last one I got I told them they was probably just doing it wrong and that I can provide wfp. She insisted that she only wanted traditional. So I now charge a premium for them jobs compared to what a wfp cleaner would charge. Plenty of houses out there.

Back