Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Why does nobody round here do the villages?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Dave B

Staff member
Just done this for £18 yet the other guys round here seem to swerve these villages
No idea why they would want to stick to the cheap houses in town
Anyone else find the local villages more lucrative?
Just off to do a £50 in and out not much bigger lol

Attachments

• DFA7E524-932D-478B-A2D8-379D02819E3A.jpeg
    DFA7E524-932D-478B-A2D8-379D02819E3A.jpeg
    119.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 44334B56-28E0-41D6-B333-164D38E01BB9.jpeg
    44334B56-28E0-41D6-B333-164D38E01BB9.jpeg
    133.1 KB · Views: 33
  • CF7E40A6-1270-43AA-8197-45FBE7CF8408.jpeg
    CF7E40A6-1270-43AA-8197-45FBE7CF8408.jpeg
    87.9 KB · Views: 33
Just done this for £18 yet the other guys round here seem to swerve these villages
No idea why they would want to stick to the cheap houses in town
Anyone else find the local villages more lucrative?
Just off to do a £50 in and out not much bigger lol
I'm guessing it doesn't suit the trad guys as they want house after house, it also doesn't suit larger wfp companies with employees because again they want whole estates house after house.

I've said from day one of me starting that I've found as a single operator, the money is these types of houses where the rest don't go.

I try to avoid them but recently picked up 3 that's about a mile out of town from where I work. Wasn't really wanting to go but it was my customers family so took it on. Ones £30 and 2 are £15. It takes me an hour from where I've put it in my run to do them and back starting where I left off all in so can't complain really.

It’s like anything you have to make it pay.No point driving out of town to a village for a couple of quid more.
Once you get in to them they can be good but you will tend to do more van moves.The houses tend to be bigger hence the bigger cost but they can also be cheaper.

I looked at a round for sale quite a while back in Walkern.They were being cleaned by an old timer who had been cleaning them for years mostly trad and the prices were really low.

some of my old residential was in village.I know quite a few round our way that do them.

It’s like anything you have to make it pay.No point driving out of town to a village for a couple of quid more.
Once you get in to them they can be good but you will tend to do more van moves.The houses tend to be bigger hence the bigger cost but they can also be cheaper.

I looked at a round for sale quite a while back in Walkern.They were being cleaned by an old timer who had been cleaning them for years mostly trad and the prices were really low.

some of my old residential was in village.I know quite a few round our way that do them.
Apart from Ryan I don’t see anyone around there nowadays
I know the ones you used to do and you were one of the only ones I ever saw out there
Maybe I just keep missing them

@Dave B
There’s an old boy called Mick has loads of work over there.His trad and does it out of a car all his round is pretty much in that village his a nice bloke and use to pass work my way.
Ryans selling up over there.

I do roughly half mine out in villages now. The urban areas were more swamped with cleaners. Some other plus points are there is rarely traffic/parking hassle, some of the places are amazing architecture with lovely gardens/wildlife. Seen two albino pheasants this week. A lot of them have nice ponds, quite a few had dried up drastically with last years hot dry summer but are now filling up nicely again.

I used to do a few but the driving between jobs stressed me out, got 1 very close village now, all compact work as in the city, keeping those of course. For me its mainly the mental clutter it produces that screw me up, im a minimalist and like the streamlined effortless flow in my day, after being hospitalized with a messed heartrate and severe stress , i know how important it is for me to keep it simple and effective everyday now.

I used to do a few but the driving between jobs stressed me out, got 1 very close village now, all compact work as in the city, keeping those of course. For me its mainly the mental clutter it produces that screw me up, im a minimalist and like the streamlined effortless flow in my day, after being hospitalized with a messed heartrate and severe stress , i know how important it is for me to keep it simple and effective everyday now.
I'm just the opposite to you, I find villages less stressful and more relaxing than urban stuff.

Over half my work is in small villages near my home.
Price it correctly and it’s just as profitable as estate work. (Which I also do plenty of).

Try doing some of the villages in my neck of the woods full of weirdos living in a time warp, 11 years ago they still expected to pay less than £5 for a 3-bed semi I wouldn't be surprised if they are just paying £6 now
I've been to Quote some little old ladies who said they've been paying that and I feel really bad when I tell them my prices lol

I've been to Quote some little old ladies who said they've been paying that and I feel really bad when I tell them my prices lol
Some just don't get it at all, everything else goes up over the years but surprisingly some don't window cleaning prices have or should :rolleyes:

Don't feel bad. Some of those oldies are quite devious. They quote prices from 20 or 30 years ago.
I know you can't always judge a book by its cover, but I have always tried to give old pensioners a bit of a break when it comes to pricing.
I've told this story before. Many years ago we had a lovely old lady on the round. Always a cold glass of orange squash in the summer. She always complained about the cost of everything and never missed asking us if we could do the job a little cheaper. 'How do they expect us to live on our pension,' was a regular part of the conversation.

She also got her son to take her shopping and he sometimes paid for her groceries. He occasionally paid her gas and electric bill in winter because she was so poor.

Sadly she passed away and left £254,000 in her bank account. Nobody had any clue how she managed to accumulate that amount. Her son was so annoyed.

I just laughed and told her son that she conned us both.

Another one lived in a flat and fired her window cleaner because my price was 50 pence less for both her and her friends flat next door, saving them the grand total of £1. I asked if she had a window cleaner before I quoted and she lied saying she didn't. When I found out I refused to clean them both. They asked their original window to start cleaning again and he told them to get lost. They both later died and I got both flats when new tenants moved in. The one I still do 15 years later.

Latest Posts

Back