Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Zero detailing

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I apply neat to the applicator and only have water in the bucket or if i am a long way from the bucket i have a pre mixed bottle on my belt

Maintenance cleans nowadays the bucket stays in the car

I've tried loads & although some have been good I still find ecover with a dab of flash my favourite. On Greens point earlier i think we all try do things & make things to try & make our job better & easier. It happens in all walks of life. Always somet that come out or someone will come up with an idea to make the job better & easier.

my wife swears none of you lot on here ever actually do any windowcleaning..:rofl:

as for soap....hmmmm its what ever I FIND by the custys sink....or on the commercial one I get a real nice top up..

it plays havoc with my applicator as they are all different strengths....and so many times I have worked with far too much soap but at this time of the year I just fire it onto the garden and pretend its snow:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
:pJust finished for the day and new 18" unger has arrived

Off to the shed for some unnecessary mods it is then

I will use it on anything it is over half the size of

That's how i usually judge what squeegee to use

im going to get some new hacksaw blades tomorrow i tried grinding a channel today like polzen but the grinding wheel was a smaller diamater so the face wasent big enough what a balls up that was

And the ones in the pics above and a 12 and my midget one for dirty sills so 7 altogether if using them all

Usually 5 on my belt

Couple of weeks ago, i tried modding unger 12", cut with hacksaw at 45 degree, then i dog eared it wagga style, still playing about with it, as I find the edges are too bent forward, as can feel the edges dragging on glass, did bend back a bit and got better, but still feels some adjustment required, to stop any drag type friction, but have noticed that its less detailing to do. Will buy the new channels coming out tho when available.

Couple of weeks ago, i tried modding unger 12", cut with hacksaw at 45 degree, then i dog eared it wagga style, still playing about with it, as I find the edges are too bent forward, as can feel the edges dragging on glass, did bend back a bit and got better, but still feels some adjustment required, to stop any drag type friction, but have noticed that its less detailing to do. Will buy the new channels coming out tho when available.
I am not sure that it should be 45 degree

I'm wondering now what would happen if the new one gets dropped
Its been drop tested by polz nd moerman, thats the problem with wagga style dog earing with the split channel u end up bending the end tabs when u drop it which is one reason why daves mods are better in th picture a few posts back.

Ive never used brass channels, but they are obviously softer material and when modified will be more prone to bending when dropped.

Many years ago (too bloody many) when I was first trained with Ettore Brass we used to soap/scrub with a soft broom. We had two cloths. One dry/damp over shoulder and a dry detailing scrim in back pocket. (I'm a leftie so reverse it if you're not). Scrub/soap window. Wipe excess from top and right hand edge. Run squeegee up right edge across top and fan as normal. Wipe sill with damp cloth. Check and detail right hand edge if required....the idea of the damp cloth was too remove excess suds so the the squeegee didn't drag them onto the glass. Of course as you became more proficient you started taking the shortcuts on maintenance cleans as Dave has outlined...
Thas a good sound methodology, but since ive modified my tools theres no need to wipe the glass edge after soaping but i have tried it the way you describe in the past, u end up with a very wet cloth. The new moerman squeegee should take over being far superior to anything else manufactured

Less detailing does make a big difference

Just did a 3 bed new clean and cleared back gutter in an hour

Now to go home as still feeling ropey

Bad idea working while dizzy and not held any food down in 24 hours

Back