Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Flow rate for DI unit.

WCF

Help Support WCF:

seymour sunshine

What is the maximum flow rate through a small (say 11 litre) DI bottle for purifying small quantities of 250 ppm tap water?

My reason for asking is because I have a small number of customers who have really difficult windows to reach trad even with a pole and (as I already have wfp kit) I was wondering if I could get away with purifying tap water directly from the tap to use on these few windows. It may be only 5 or 10 per week, so I don't want to be investing in RO for such a small amount of water use and I don't want to be carrying cans of pure water around with me.

The flow rate I'd need would only be about 5 lpm at the very maximum.

So my question boils down to "Can you use DI to purify tap water directly from a tap for use with a wfp?"

Last edited by a moderator:
No problems, I would run it through at half on tap and that will see you ok. I don't know what your tap pressure/lpm is where you are but where I'm at it's approx 12lpm at 45psi. At the usage your needing pure for I would say it would be OK 

I can always turn the tap down to reduce the flow rate. It needs to be just fast enough to actually clean a window. I've just measured my flow rate for the first time ever! At normal working it's about 1.5 lpm and frighteningly fast it's 2.5 lpm. That's direct from the tap.I use a single over the top wide fan jet recycled from a carpet cleaning machine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, sure you can. But if the local tds readings are high, you will eat through the granulate incredibly fast.

According to Gardiner's resin calculator the cost per litre is about 4p. Yes, that would be too much if I was using wfp all the time, but it's only going to be for a very few occasional windows. Each one uses about 2 or 3 litres and I price them at double as they're difficult to do, so it should be OK.

Yes you can this is what I do with our windows. Live in a rural area and water is medium hard and is rung through a 11 litre DI Vessel. Anything over 200 pm I would advise using a 15 litre vessel and that will be suitable.

If you have high ppm and use a small vessel it will not work as there is not enough resin in the vessel to cope with the load,

Back