Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

new to this window cleaning

WCF

Help Support WCF:

hi all I'm new to this window cleaning business about to be made redundant from my job and want to do traditional window cleaning, I have a few questions if you all don't mind me asking!

do you all work in all weather???

what do you all do through the winter???

what brand of tool do you all prefer???

wheres a good supplier of tools???

windows-cleaner new start.jpg

You do realise that logo is from an existing USA company

Don't get yourself in trouble with copyright etc

I work all year in all weathers wfp or trad

Just get your head down and keep working 

Work in all weather unless it's deep snow, heavy rain or minus 3-4

Work all year round as bills need to be paid

Traditional tools; I use Unger

I always buy trad tools from Wintecs

Good luck!

MOERMAN® ive been looking at there stuff looks pretty good!!!! so light rain still work if its absolutely ******* down stay away!!! do you keep a free day to catch up??? 

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO never leave a free day to catch up. Try and work 5 days a week and if we get weather like we've just had postpone it until the weather gets better. I worked Monday and Tuesday last week and lost the rest of the week as did everyone else. I'm using this week to finish off last week's work plus I'll do a couple of add on's to fill the week and then I'll start again next week as usual but a week behind. I've used this weather as a holiday.

It will take time to get full, so start canvassing now and hit the ground running for when you get made redundant.

Where are you based?

I'm in west wales Carmarthen there's a couple of window cleaners in my area but never herd anything good about them!!! I cant wait to get started I'm pretty excited ;-)

Welcome :1f609: . I'm just down the road in Pembrokeshire - mainly work in North Pembs although I have a little work in Haverfordwest.

Don't understand why you would want to do trad. Like me you're in a soft water area & you should be able to set yourself up on water fed pole (trolley & backpack) for around £400 to £500.

Also have you visited Window Cleaning Gear? Tiny little outfit in Capel Hendre (just down the road from you) but very helpful!

I just like the idea of traditional it looks good but I suppose I will progress!!! ive just spent just over £300 on merman tools.. ill have a look up capel hendre diolch 

I just like the idea of traditional it looks good but I suppose I will progress!!! ive just spent just over £300 on merman tools.. ill have a look up capel hendre diolch 
I  started last year in mid Wales. I use both wfp and trad. You pick up more work if you can do both. You can't do insides WFP!

Personally I work in light rain. I'm  Lucky as I'm part time . I let customers know when I sign them up that sometimes I work in the rain.

I  started last year in mid Wales. I use both wfp and trad. You pick up more work if you can do both. You can't do insides WFP!

Personally I work in light rain. I'm  Lucky as I'm part time . I let customers know when I sign them up that sometimes I work in the rain.
I was thinking of registering of getting a licence to carry waste for wet days and quiet days!!!

I was thinking of registering of getting a licence to carry waste for wet days and quiet days!!!

I had one, lasts 3yrs £180 or something like that. I thought it was a waste of time because we are allowed to carry our own waste. Hard to prove if its our own waste or a customers! Unless its beyond reasonable doubt that its a customers waste.

I didn't have a clue how to use a squeegee so all I did was spend a few weeks watching uTube. Very interesting and then practising on my own windows everyday (at the dismay of my neighbours).  Strange thing is, I can't seem to get a better result than my plain old 12 inch dogtailed unger squeegee that I first bought! Through time you get attached to one squeegee and can't do without it. All the best and try and be nice to your customers.     :1f44d:

hi all I'm new to this window cleaning business about to be made redundant from my job and want to do traditional window cleaning, I have a few questions if you all don't mind me asking!

do you all work in all weather???

what do you all do through the winter???

what brand of tool do you all prefer???

wheres a good supplier of tools???

View attachment 12970
no.

work when i can.

unger.

https://www.windowcleaningstuff.co.uk/

https://www.wintecs.co.uk/  shop around some are a lot cheaper than others.

you cant work in all weather as weve just seen with the snow.

i would start of with a normal 12 or 14 inch blade. dont bother with all these fancy blades & wagtails ect some are just waste of money & end up not getting used. 

Not far from me either (Swansea) although have a bit in llanelli, I use moerman and I find they are brilliant, once you get the technique right. As for clothes & rain, in the winter several thin layers as it works better than thick coats and doesn't restrict you, and a woolly hat. With rain if trad light rain ok, if wfp then you can work in heavier stuff. Any question you have have probably been asked before, so have a search on here and if you can't find anything then ask away, we're all happy to help. 

Back