Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

What keeps you going?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

what did you use to learn turkish steve? i can speak tourist turkish but i'dlike to learn more.
I originally bought a cd and booklet called 50 words in Turkish and loaded it onto an I pod.
I then bought a more advanced course and did that.
I also bought an A to Z book and put every word in English in alphabetical order with there Turkish translation.
When you look at words as well as listen, you’ll find your memory works better.
It’s very important to say the words out loud as you learn.
Many times whilst working I’ve had customers walk up behind me and ask me who I’m talking to ??
I still love going over there and using it.
I was in Marmaris in September and was bartering in Turkish with the market stall holders. They don’t expect it from a Blue eyed ginger!

I originally bought a cd and booklet called 50 words in Turkish and loaded it onto an I pod.
I also bought an A to Z book and put every word in English in alphabetical order with there Turkish translation.
Many times whilst working I’ve had customers walk up behind me and ask me who I’m talking to ??
I was in Marmaris in September and was bartering in Turkish with the market stall holders. They don’t expect it from a Blue eyed ginger!
I know what you mean. Its a real buzz speaking their native language, especially when they understand you. I remember years ago, I went to visit friend in Norway and ordered a round of drinks. it felt great and they really appreciate you making an effort to.

UP your workload is the best solution to the doldrums .Same time get rid of anybody who is dragging you down,be it a mardy partner OR sarcey customer. Every few weeks post up on Facebook images of you at work to snag in more fresh work. Another tip i can give is follow a chap called Ron Musgraves on FB, hes a good motivator for cleaners ,altho i read hed been done for kiddy fiddling [many yrs back] if you just read his posts itll get you motivated for sure

Money is the only reason that keeps me going. For me the lack of having to use my brain feels like I'm not pushing myself. It's a great business for earning good money, although it's not really a business it's more like a decent paying job that you're responsible for... but you won't make millions out of it unlike other businesses where this is a possibility.

I keep my hours to a minimum and I'm on the lookout for alternatives. I personally don't want to be window cleaning all the way to retirement. I'd like to test myself at other things. I expect to be in window cleaning for a good few years yet though.

I agree with this. If you have half a brain window cleaning doesn't fulfill you. It's decent money but it's mind dumbing and it would be great to do something where you get to engage your brain rather than trudging along scrubbing glass.

I work at most 6 hours a day and no more than 4 days a week and I still find that far too much. I'd love to cut it down and find something else before retirement.

I'm 42 now and I don't have the same energy I once had. Everyday drag myself out of bed and round the glass but its all rather depressing.

i think i'll try that steve, i can speak tourist turkish as in two efes please and order meals etc never been to marmaris though might try that someday, we were down the coast in fethiye last september.

Hi all,

There are many of you who have been doing this far longer than me (I think this is 6 years now). Just wondered what your motivations are. Is it money? Being your own boss? I have no problems in spring and autumn, but come winter I find it really hard to keep motivated, especially in the doldrums of December/January. Just thought I'd ask what helps you guys power through, see if anything strikes a chord.

Thanks
I get to walk my daughter to school everyday and pick her up when it’s home time. In the summer I might go and do a few jobs after I’ve dropped her back home but nothing can buy those 15 minute walks.

I've not tried it but I don't think it would suit me, I like to focus on what I'm doing, when I'm listening to something I get distracted from what I'm doing and slow down. I'd be cleaning windows twice and missing things... ?

It's not that I'm not able to do the work though, I have no problem with that, as soon as I'm out the door I'm in work mode and don't struggle with motivation. For me it's the fact that I feel I'm wasting myself by not pushing myself. As it's early days I'm not too concerned, but in the near future I want something else that tests my business brain a bit.

Recently I happened to reading Sir Trevor Sinclairs wiki profile. It seemed like he had quite an adventure in his life. I'd like to look back on my life with more than cleaning windows...

I've got a few ideas but it's making the effort to put them into practise.
Trevor sinclair? Did well for west ham.

Don't you have Bluetooth ear buds?you could be learning a new language while your cleaning or listening to something interesting while your working...

I still like window cleaning,even more so now there's no collecting or ladder climbing.....
That is a good answer Dazmond. im saving up to hopefullr retire in Spain. Never thought about learning spanish while out all day. I will have to give it some thought of how to do this . Any ideas

It's not everyone's cup of tea, but I found a guy called Michel Thomas has a useful method of teaching. Got me fluent in practical, everyday French very quickly (relatively speaking). Now using his course in conjuction with Duolingo to learn Spanish. 33 day streak, and going to Spain in May, who says I can't be fluent by then! :LOL:

For me it's listening to podcasts as I work, and having a daily goal of work to get through.

Long term it's the hours. Doing 6-7 hours 4-5 days a week, is far better than the hours I used to work in the care sector. I used to do 24 hr sleep in shifts, 12 hour days and lots of evening and weekend work. I want to enjoy time with my kids, so it's a bit of a no brainer. Plus working outdoors in the summer can't be beaten!

Going on walks on a weekend definitely helps me, I'll either go off on my own or my wife will come and chill out in her van with our oldest dog who can't go far these days

Attachments

• PXL_20240225_113653354.jpg
    PXL_20240225_113653354.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20240225_113648780.jpg
    PXL_20240225_113648780.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20240217_111246623.jpg
    PXL_20240217_111246623.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 5
It's not everyone's cup of tea, but I found a guy called Michel Thomas has a useful method of teaching. Got me fluent in practical, everyday French very quickly (relatively speaking). Now using his course in conjuction with Duolingo to learn Spanish. 33 day streak, and going to Spain in May, who says I can't be fluent by then! :LOL:
does he still do it

Back