Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

What keeps you going?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

This resonated with me. I'm 34 but really want to drop a Friday and get 4 day week so my wife and I can get out walking and the weekend is longer. Family & other commitments in the way at the moment but I'm totally with you! It's something I'm aiming for. I think your strategy is a good one.
Nothing better than getting out on the hills into the wilds and exploring somewhere you've never been to before,

Were abouts do you go walking?

If you don’t like what you’re doing then there’s only you that can make the change. That said you could sign on the dotted line as there seems to be a lot of claimers around that are better off than people who get off their ar5e to go to work. For me though it’s the cash pure and simple. Don’t mind the weather and love being outdoors and as I’ve done this since leaving school theres pretty much nothing else that I could do for the same money. I really don’t get it when people say I’m sick of this job but still do it bla bla bla. It’s your life so live it!

No hills round here but fishing in a deserted place is the same for me
Just quiet and relaxed
We are lucky were we live I can walk an 8 mile circular or more quite easily from our door into countryside and not see anyone most of the time,

We also have the North Pennines about 40 minutes drive from us as well so many miles to explore up there as well, and the Yorkshire Dale's isn't much further either which we spent many weekends there last year.

As long as it's deserted with no people I'm happy as I totally switch off, this is from last summer we walked 7 miles to get to there although the photo doesn't do it justice as it drops away well over a 100ft or more we climbed an elevation of over 1,400ft it was carved out in the ice age.

The we is me and our dog my wife chills in the van with our 13 year old lab.

Attachments

• PXL_20230729_120125950.jpg
    PXL_20230729_120125950.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
We are lucky were we live I can walk an 8 mile circular or more quite easily from our door into countryside and not see anyone most of the time,

We also have the North Pennines about 40 minutes drive from us as well so many miles to explore up there as well, and the Yorkshire Dale's isn't much further either which we spent many weekends there last year.

As long as it's deserted with no people I'm happy as I totally switch off, this is from last summer we walked 7 miles to get to there although the photo doesn't do it justice as it drops away well over a 100ft or more we climbed an elevation of over 1,400ft it was carved out in the ice age.

That’s gorgeous. I’d say I’m jealous but with having the west pennine moors on my doorstep I’m accustomed to the view. It’s a shame it’s constantly dwindling though.

The Cotswolds is a favourite of ours. How about yourself?
Got to be the Yorkshire Dale's at the moment, rolling hills and patchwork quilt like landscape that you get with the drystone walls also it's quiet enough even in the height of summer,

We will venture to the Lake district at some point but we remember it been really busy years ago when we used to go so that's putting us of a bit, I might do one or two nights away before Easter on my own as I know I can summit a few fells fairly easily within a short break.

That’s gorgeous. I’d say I’m jealous but with having the west pennine moors on my doorstep I’m accustomed to the view. It’s a shame it’s constantly dwindling though.
We would like to more rural and be as fortunate as you deep within a area like the pennies,

Why is it dwindling though

You boys should head up to Scotland do some wild camping that would be amazing.
To many midges, bleedin nightmare got bitten loads the first time up Mull but only on an evening had to have a fire outside as they don't like the smoke although we bleedin stank of smoke every night ?

Hi all,

There are many of you who have been doing this far longer than me (I think this is 6 years now). Just wondered what your motivations are. Is it money? Being your own boss? I have no problems in spring and autumn, but come winter I find it really hard to keep motivated, especially in the doldrums of December/January. Just thought I'd ask what helps you guys power through, see if anything strikes a chord.

Thanks
I have always struggled with winters however I’ve done ok this year. I’ve just accepted I can only do what I can do and I’m trying to plan my finances accordingly (though still have a bit to go before I can truly ‘not work’ in winter).

I also started going to the gym a couple of years ago and go almost everyday. So having that planned for after work is always something I look forward to!

Hi all,

There are many of you who have been doing this far longer than me (I think this is 6 years now). Just wondered what your motivations are. Is it money? Being your own boss? I have no problems in spring and autumn, but come winter I find it really hard to keep motivated, especially in the doldrums of December/January. Just thought I'd ask what helps you guys power through, see if anything strikes a chord.

Thanks
it sounds like you suffer the winter blues mate, we all get them to some extent, get some headphones read/listen to audio books or learn something new via pod casts, try not to beat yourself up because the weather is rubbish and you can't work, get yourself off social media or at least don't look at it.
book a holiday for later in the year so you can focus on one thing, have a project at home to do , could be re-decorating the hallway-it could be anything but find something to think about whilst working or do when you get home.
as an example, me and the wife have booked for kos in september, just paid the deposit so, my goal is to pay the balance by march.
i also am restoring a motorcycle so that pushes me on during the day as paint and parts need paying for.

To many midges, bleedin nightmare got bitten loads the first time up Mull but only on an evening had to have a fire outside as they don't like the smoke although we bleedin stank of smoke every night ?
Depends what time of year you go and the area we regularly go to Perth in march through may and September to December and it’s ok then

Don't you have Bluetooth ear buds?you could be learning a new language while your cleaning or listening to something interesting while your working...

Yeah, I have ear buds and am learning my fourth language, as well as listening to courses on music production (as I am an obsessive guitarist of 25+ experience :LOL: ). It does help, but I wouldn't sit in a school lesson for 6 hours - there's only so much learning (and noise) my brain can take at a time.

I resonate with your comments Chris. I find the lack of real intellectual stimulation to be very difficult, and I feel like I'm not challenging myself too. I can't focus properly on other things at the same time, so I rely on audio osmosis and immersion to try and learn. I've tried setting 'work challenges' for myself, but so far haven't found anything that really helps. Still plodding on, just interested to know the experience of others.

Also, I live in Scotland, so I can reliably assure you, the midges are on the west coast. On the east side we get nothing like that, although cleggs can be a problem for high summer if you camp near the sea and tall grass. I'm allergic to their bite - my arm looked like professor klump's (from the nutty professor) when I got bitten 2 or 3 years ago! I prefer wild camping in the winter because you avoid all that nonsense, but not been out this year - had too many stresses in life. Shoud've made the effort to switch off and do it, but I didn't, now have to learn the lesson!

Last edited:
Depends what time of year you go and the area we regularly go to Perth in march through may and September to December and it’s ok then
We've not been for around 3 years we usually go to the Dumfries & Galloway area and did the borders last time but our Lab is too old for long journeys now so we try to cap the travel to around an hour and it's easier for weekend breaks, we'll definitely go back in the future

Yeah, I have ear buds and am learning my fourth language, as well as listening to courses on music production (as I am an obsessive guitarist of 25+ experience :LOL: ). It does help, but I wouldn't sit in a school lesson for 6 hours - there's only so much learning (and noise) my brain can take at a time.

I resonate with your comments Chris. I find the lack of real intellectual stimulation to be very difficult, and I feel like I'm not challenging myself too. I can't focus properly on other things at the same time, so I rely on audio osmosis and immersion to try and learn. I've tried setting 'work challenges' for myself, but so far haven't found anything that really helps. Still plodding on, just interested to know the experience of others.

Also, I live in Scotland, so I can reliably assure you, the midges are on the west coast. On the east side we get nothing like that, although cleggs can be a problem for high summer if you camp near the sea and tall grass. I'm allergic to their bite - my arm looked like professor klump's (from the nutty professor) when I got bitten 2 or 3 years ago! I prefer wild camping in the winter because you avoid all that nonsense, but not been out this year - had too many stresses in life. Shoud've made the effort to switch off and do it, but I didn't, now have to learn the lesson!
Ok thats interesting. I must admit The many times that I have visited Scotland, I have nether suffered from midges but I have nether explored the west coast. However I`m getting married at Gretna in late september and we are planning to visit the west coast for our honeymoon.

Ok thats interesting. I must admit The many times that I have visited Scotland, I have nether suffered from midges but I have nether explored the west coast. However I`m getting married at Gretna in late september and we are planning to visit the west coast for our honeymoon.
Congrats! I think midges should be gone by then too! :LOL:

Learning a language whilst working makes the day fly by.
My wife and I had an apartment in Altinkham, Turkey for 9 years. The first thing I did was learn the language. I’m not fluent but can hold conversations. Its good for the old brain matter ?.

As for what keeps you going, for me it’s lifestyle. I mostly do 4 days a week, but this keeps my pension pot going and helps fund several foreign holidays a year.
When working a drab Monday or Tuesday I think about the weekend to come and remind myself it’s pushing the pole about that make the good times possible ?.
Speaking of which, it’s that wonderful time again. Have a great weekend fellow windies ???????

Learning a language whilst working makes the day fly by.
My wife and I had an apartment in Altinkham, Turkey for 9 years. The first thing I did was learn the language. I’m not fluent but can hold conversations. Its good for the old brain matter ?.

As for what keeps you going, for me it’s lifestyle. I mostly do 4 days a week, but this keeps my pension pot going and helps fund several foreign holidays a year.
When working a drab Monday or Tuesday I think about the weekend to come and remind myself it’s pushing the pole about that make the good times possible ?.
Speaking of which, it’s that wonderful time again. Have a great weekend fellow windies ???????
what did you use to learn turkish steve? i can speak tourist turkish but i'dlike to learn more.

That picture is my ideal day off ??

I think I'll always be window cleaning, but would love to end up doing it part time somewhere more rural.
Up north or maybe buy a round in Wales

Latest Posts

Back