Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

What keeps you going?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Stuart S

Hi all,

There are many of you who have been doing this far longer than me (I think this is 6 years now). Just wondered what your motivations are. Is it money? Being your own boss? I have no problems in spring and autumn, but come winter I find it really hard to keep motivated, especially in the doldrums of December/January. Just thought I'd ask what helps you guys power through, see if anything strikes a chord.

Thanks

Flexibility/Money.

If I was doing all day everyday through the winter I think I'd struggle mentally.

But the main thing that keeps me going through the winter are spontaneous days off.
In my opinion, there's nothing better than cancelling an odd day here and there, and doing something fun isntead.
Walking the dogs somewhere scenic, nice lunch out with the wife, drive to the beach etc ?

Winter time doing this can be hard and a bit depressing with the weather. I couldn’t earn what I do doing any other job , it’s very flexible with start stop times take holidays without having to ask anyone’s permission , being your own boss it’s a very easy life the only negative is the winter weather, you do need to be self motivated to get up and get to work each day being self employed it’s not for everyone

Hi all,

There are many of you who have been doing this far longer than me (I think this is 6 years now). Just wondered what your motivations are. Is it money? Being your own boss? I have no problems in spring and autumn, but come winter I find it really hard to keep motivated, especially in the doldrums of December/January. Just thought I'd ask what helps you guys power through, see if anything strikes a chord.

Thanks
Freedom!

I have a different mind set as things I can't control don't get me down. Yes it bothers me if we can't do that days work, especially if we're hundreds of miles from home and have to travel down the next week to do it, but if it's weather related no forward planning can prevent this so it's a shrug of the shoulders and on with the next job. December is a short month and there are things to look forward to, unless you're The Grinch, so don't understand that month being bad. January and February are the 2 months where the weather bothers me most as they tend to be the worst.

I would struggle to do this job 8 hours a day now. I've been window cleaning for a total of 15 years.

For me, being able to work less hours but still for good pay and achieving a healthy work life balance is what motivates me. Also, I'm fortunate to work in some lovely countryside and this helps me.

4 years ago, I nearly burnt out. Since I changed my working hours, I enjoy my days far more and find motivation comes naturally most days. I work about a 25 hour week on the glass which works well for me personally.

I would also agree with the above comment by David K - freedom - it's on another level.

Last edited:
I get depressed with the job quite a lot, its boring, relentless, cold, wet, miserable etc. I think ive hit burn out a few times.

What keeps me going is perspective, stick my headphones in and try and zone out, to appreciate that i only work 6 hours a day x 4 days a week and can turn over £50/£60 per hour. Way better balance than most people on the planet....

I have a 3 day weekend and have money to be able to do things i enjoy.

Lets face it, the job is pretty ****, the winter isnt nice but it could be much much worse you could go to work all week in a factory to barely cover your bills and not be able to go on holiday or save.

If i could find something else i enjoyed then i would do that but window cleaning is so easy compared to other businesses you can start, theres loads of work out there and its repeat work.

One thing that i know would help massively but i struggle with is to switch off after work. If you are anything like me i think about window cleaning a lot on an evening, im always on facebook looking for new work, anwering emails, texts etc and thinking about doing other things such as pressure washing etc and how to improve the round. It never stops. If i could come home and clock out as it were, that would be a huge advantage but unfortunately as self employed we dont ever truly switch off.

Ive tried in the past reducing my days to 3 a week and working 8 hours a day...ive managed it a few times and the 4 day weekend is great but 8 hours on the glass is exhausting.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, some good feedback here. I appreciate your comments. I think I need to rejig my hours a little after reading your comments. Trying to do too much and regular burnout seems a really posibility (already had numerous episodes). Good to know I'm not alone, but there are other things to try to imnprove it. Thank you

Cut your hours down to 6 hour days 4 days a week...

Get the best equipment you can afford(hot water,electric reel,light poles, etc)

Get rid of awkward jobs you hate doing

Download audiobooks,podcasts,etc and listen and learn something as your shining

I find the job a lot easier these days....it was a lot worse 31 years ago when I started,lots of collecting in the evenings and ladder climbing risking my neck for a lot less money ?

I'm a very self motivated person....if your not then your going to struggle

Love being my own boss and only working 8hrs tops a day and just 4 days a week. Used to be a hgv 1 and 2 lorry driver, tramping and local for 22years and working 15hrs a day for peanuts And not seeing my kids and wife all week as being away. I Love my family life now and with more money in my back pocket and less hours.

Money is the only reason that keeps me going. For me the lack of having to use my brain feels like I'm not pushing myself. It's a great business for earning good money, although it's not really a business it's more like a decent paying job that you're responsible for... but you won't make millions out of it unlike other businesses where this is a possibility.

I keep my hours to a minimum and I'm on the lookout for alternatives. I personally don't want to be window cleaning all the way to retirement. I'd like to test myself at other things. I expect to be in window cleaning for a good few years yet though.

I find not having to see many people after 16 years of customer service in one form or other, seeing many people and hour, a great incentive to keep going.
Love being out and about minding my own.
Although I am only 10 months in to my new career ?.
Weekends off is a great addition to.

Money is the only reason that keeps me going. For me the lack of having to use my brain feels like I'm not pushing myself. It's a great business for earning good money, although it's not really a business it's more like a decent paying job that you're responsible for... but you won't make millions out of it unlike other businesses where this is a possibility.

I keep my hours to a minimum and I'm on the lookout for alternatives. I personally don't want to be window cleaning all the way to retirement. I'd like to test myself at other things. I expect to be in window cleaning for a good few years yet though.

Don't you have Bluetooth ear buds?you could be learning a new language while your cleaning or listening to something interesting while your working...

I still like window cleaning,even more so now there's no collecting or ladder climbing.....

Thanks guys, some good feedback here. I appreciate your comments. I think I need to rejig my hours a little after reading your comments. Trying to do too much and regular burnout seems a really posibility (already had numerous episodes). Good to know I'm not alone, but there are other things to try to imnprove it. Thank you
Things can eat you up depending on how you cope with things personally, I have pushed myself to hard over the years and this has taken it's toll as I'm sure you will know yourself,

I am now at a point were I am almost sick of working each day, my plan is currently increasing prices and loosing jobs to reduce my workload then do a 4 day week and take Friday for myself to go off into the wilds walking with my dog, I am 49 years old this year and want a better balance

Money/flexibility/own boss for me.
Though I am steadily working towards a reduction in days to 4 days a week (quite often do 6 days a week) with the 3 day weekend. Then on to a 3 day working week no doubt.
57 now and will probably keep going for another 10 years but reducing all the time.
Moneys too good to stop doing it completely. And I’ve got teenagers who will need a leg up on the property ladder.
They are probably my biggest motivation. They have been since they were born to be honest

Don't you have Bluetooth ear buds?you could be learning a new language while your cleaning or listening to something interesting while your working...

I still like window cleaning,even more so now there's no collecting or ladder climbing.....
I've not tried it but I don't think it would suit me, I like to focus on what I'm doing, when I'm listening to something I get distracted from what I'm doing and slow down. I'd be cleaning windows twice and missing things... ?

It's not that I'm not able to do the work though, I have no problem with that, as soon as I'm out the door I'm in work mode and don't struggle with motivation. For me it's the fact that I feel I'm wasting myself by not pushing myself. As it's early days I'm not too concerned, but in the near future I want something else that tests my business brain a bit.

Recently I happened to reading Sir Trevor Sinclairs wiki profile. It seemed like he had quite an adventure in his life. I'd like to look back on my life with more than cleaning windows...

I've got a few ideas but it's making the effort to put them into practise.

Things can eat you up depending on how you cope with things personally, I have pushed myself to hard over the years and this has taken it's toll as I'm sure you will know yourself,

I am now at a point were I am almost sick of working each day, my plan is currently increasing prices and loosing jobs to reduce my workload then do a 4 day week and take Friday for myself to go off into the wilds walking with my dog, I am 49 years old this year and want a better balance
Same age as me in June
I am doing lots more gutter cleaning and softwashing and trying to ween myself off the glass
Eventually I will as no mortgage now and wife on good money being fluent in braille and teaching teachers how to do it
We both aim to be retired by 60 latest so working towards that

everyone goes to there work solely to make money, if the wages stopped the workers would stop going to work. its not a great job, but its a job, jobs in general are all the same across whatever industry you work in where it’s repetitive everyday. some people claim they love there work but I’ve yet to see them do it as a hobby on there time off. No one likes working but its something you just accept you have to do, its not like any of us are going to jack it in to be a film star so it would just be to another job to repeat the same process and get bored with that too.

Same age as me in June
I am doing lots more gutter cleaning and softwashing and trying to ween myself off the glass
Eventually I will as no mortgage now and wife on good money being fluent in braille and teaching teachers how to do it
We both aim to be retired by 60 latest so working towards that
I like been on the glass, just getting tired at the moment and peed off, no chance of me retiring I don't think,

my wife will probably retire at 55 not so much out of choice but due to deteriorating health and she'll get her gov pension then and we'll also be mortgage free before then so will manage just fine by then, I can get far more out of continuing to work than screwing myself over pumping money into a monkey managed pension.

This resonated with me. I'm 34 but really want to drop a Friday and get 4 day week so my wife and I can get out walking and the weekend is longer. Family & other commitments in the way at the moment but I'm totally with you! It's something I'm aiming for. I think your strategy is a good one.

Latest Posts

Back