Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Leaving job looking tidy after using hypo?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

buzzing

Drenched the grass and soil around plants so much that after spraying the hypo on,  there was huge puddles of water near grass which hadn't drained away.  I brushed the massively watered down hypo after cleaning into grass.  How could I have got rid of all this water and puddles?  

Does hypo damage brickwork or pvc?  I used a ply board to protect wall. I left the puddles as had to leave customer but felt it wasn't professional but where should I have brushed it? 

Brushed a bit down this thing near tap, not sure if it's even a drain. 

DSC_0572.JPG

DSC_0573.JPG

DSC_0570.JPG

DSC_0575.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Checking the drainage before doing a job is really part of the quoting process , sometimes we put off doing a job if the ground is water logged untill it’s a bit dryer , sometimes use guttervacc to remove water , or brush it onto the grass or into drains : I think it’s something that comes with time and experience I remember doing a job years ago should have taken two hours spent the whole day there trying to get rid of water ???? I didn’t make the same mistake again 

Checking the drainage before doing a job is really part of the quoting process , sometimes we put off doing a job if the ground is water logged untill it’s a bit dryer , sometimes use guttervacc to remove water , or brush it onto the grass or into drains : I think it’s something that comes with time and experience I remember doing a job years ago should have taken two hours spent the whole day there trying to get rid of water ???? I didn’t make the same mistake again 
So once its really watered down after an hour is it fine to sweep down drains? And do you need to be careful when spraying 2 to 1 stuff near brickwork or pvc? 

So once its really watered down after an hour is it fine to sweep down drains? And do you need to be careful when spraying 2 to 1 stuff near brickwork or pvc? 

Fine to sweep down drains after after an hour it will be spent : 2-1 mix is strong why would you need to use it that strong ? At that dilution it could turn white plastics brown but usualy they will go white again in half an hour we generaly don’t go above 4-1 mix and that kills some serious algy we use this mix on render : paths ,patios , block drives,  roofs , and decking at 5-1 

i think you will get away with a weaker mix just give it more dwell time 45 muinits should be fine . Again a 4-1 will bring brick work up nice if it’s a bit green or black mould 

Indian Sandstone with a 3% mix and a 40 minuted dwell time. 

During this dwell time I just run my flat surface cleaner over the next area to be cleaned.

F3160684-CDB3-4E25-9521-924A32EE5F3F.jpeg

2C184DB9-223C-47CC-A73B-2A5566A3E5BD.jpeg

Say you are doing monblock:- Would the procedure be, Dampen down with tap water, Hypo 25% mix and 10% surfactant. After 45mins rinse off, Then biocide and re-sand and finally resiblock, for the full works treatment? Any help most welcome. 

This is how I would go about the job.....

Firstly I would run my flat surface cleaner over a large part of the job, this lifts some of the dirt and lichen but certainly not all. This also ensures that the whole area has had a good wetting down which is essential.

then I would apply a 3 - 5% mix of Hypo with a good quality surfactant added, I use 250mls ( a large mug is about the same measure).

I then spray the area thoroughly with the mix, paying special attention to any lichen or particularly dirty areas. (You May have to spray them a couple of times for really bad staining or some lichen) Brushing in with a stiff broom also helps to get the hypo working on bad areas.

I would then carry on with flat surface cleaner on another area or just go and have a sarnie in the van for about 45mins.

I would then go over the whole area with lance as this works better for me than a flat surface cleaner.

During the summer you can sometimes resand the joints same day, if not you will need to return when they are dry.

I don’t offer re-sealing so I can’t comment on that aspect of the job.

Hope this helps

Dennis

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Dennis, I just want to do a resiblock seal on a job to see how it comes out and to see if it makes any difference in years to come. What's the average price? £3 a square metre seems to be the norm on here.

Is that a price to clean and seal that you want ? I don’t do sealing as there are to many things that can go wrong which can’t be put right once you’ve applied it.

id never get £3/ metre just to clean, probably around £2/metre at best, depending on the size of the job. Smaller jobs are more expensive than larger ones as we’ve all got our overheads to clear before we make profit.

Dennis

Latest Posts

Back