Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Using vinegar on efflorescence

WCF

Help Support WCF:

K in Kent

Vendor
I wa recently contacted by a customer about removing efflorescence from her brick wall. For various reasons she didn't want brick cleaner / acid to be used and asked if I was aware of using white vinegar. I told her I was aware of it but hadn't tried it because I can't see it working. I explained that I had my methods that were tried and tested and I knew to be effective, but if she didn't want it done that way that's fine. And I politely suggested she find someone else.
To cut a long story short she got back in touch saying she was willing to take a chance and would be willing to pay whatever the outcome using vinegar.. I don't like customers trying to tell me how to do the job but she was very pleasant and had her reasons for not wanting acid to be used, so I decided it would be a learning experience and stocked up on distilled white vinegar. I checked multiple sources who recommended this method and dilutions etc and did the job a few days ago.

What a waste of time it was. Vinegar did nothing.....and in the end I ended up using acid with her agreement , which did the job nicely.
But even so, I still feel like I learnt somrthing from it and what was merely an opinion I now know to be a fact - vinegar for efflorescence is a myth.

Hydrochloric acid (i.e. brick cleaner) is a nasty chemical and needs using with care both from a personal safety perspective and to prevent damage to brickwork, but when used properly it does the job nicely. There are so many warnings nowadays about using PPE it can be easy just to ignore them. But I really do want to make the point don't do this with hydrochloric acid. It really is nasty stuff.
All surfaces need to be thoroughly wet beforehand and during application to prevent damage to bricks etc and protect plants and lawns. Personally I prefer to brush it on rather than spray it - you don't want drops bouncing off a wall back into your face.

Back