Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Put all my eggs in one basket

WCF

Help Support WCF:

CMRwindowcleaning

Just lost one of my largest contracts! chain of restaurants worth £9000.00 a year direct debit in my pocket! 

How to you commercial guys manage these hits? 

Thinking to change to domestic only!

Ouch. I remember when my old boss lost £6000 grand a year contract but he had his fingers in many pies so it didn’t hurt him that much. Maybe a good idea to get a mix of commercials and domestics. When we went into a recession a good few years back I know a lot of commercial guys struggled but all the domestic guys wondered what all the fuss was about. A few custys went a little less frequent and some suspended cleaning till they were financially more stable but was never worried. Even though most commercials are very lucrative if you lose a big one it’s a big hit to a sole trader as apposed to losing a few £10 jobs that can easily be replaced.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I lost a decent one my self this year.It can hit you at first but if your mainly commercial something else tends to come along.

I don't take it to personal any more.

The window cleaning for  restaurants and shops is dying of death now.it's all getting swallowed up by nationals for next to nothing the smaller people just can't compete and why would they want to.I got offered a load of prezzo restaurants last year the price was shocking I turned them down.Just this month I've been offered a chain by a national again shocking you would earn more cleaning houses trad of ladders.

I advise any one thats is small but has a lot of there work in the retail and leisure sector to start getting out now and looking for other forms of work the prices are getting strangled and the price is the only thing these company are concerned about.

I lost a decent one my self this year.It can hit you at first but if your mainly commercial something else tends to come along.
I don't take it to personal any more.
The window cleaning for  restaurants and shops is dying of death now.it's all getting swallowed up by nationals for next to nothing the smaller people just can't compete and why would they want to.I got offered a load of prezzo restaurants last year the price was shocking I turned them down.Just this month I've been offered a chain by a national again shocking you would earn more cleaning houses trad of ladders.

I advise any one thats is small but has a lot of there work in the retail and leisure sector to start getting out now and looking for other forms of work the prices are getting strangled and the price is the only thing these company are concerned about.
We don’t target it and never have,

The worst and hardest sector to make a business in cleaning in.

The large residential property management companies can produce decent work, the Managers just want someone to do a good job so they don't get complaints. The downside to this is quite often you will get residents, usually retired, that have nothing to do all day so complaining about anything is fair game to them. 

However the Managers tend to know the professional moaners and as long as you do a good job will use you at all of their sites. Just getting in is the hard part.

I have a lot of commercial, but no one near £9000 grand a year. I did loose a £2000 a year customer this week though. My books are full anyways, and just prior to them putting the clean on hiatus I actually subbed out £5000+ a year worth of work. So if I get in trouble financially, I can claim the subbed work back.

I think this is key to it, having a buffer of work so the hit isn't so hard. As in, not having a sole customer who is that important to the overall income. "The £9000 they supply a year sure is nice, but I'd do fine without it". If my ramblings make sense..

The large residential property management companies can produce decent work, the Managers just want someone to do a good job so they don't get complaints. The downside to this is quite often you will get residents, usually retired, that have nothing to do all day so complaining about anything is fair game to them. 
However the Managers tend to know the professional moaners and as long as you do a good job will use you at all of their sites. Just getting in is the hard part.
I don’t do much commercial but the commercial work that I do have mainly consists of this type of work and your bang on the money there mate.

We don’t target it and never have,

The worst and hardest sector to make a business in cleaning in.

It’s been on its ar5e for years for the small guy. It’s the same as anything, as soon as the big boys find out there’s money in it they take over and leave the small guys standing still. Like I’ve said many times though that’s just business and it’s how you adapt to it that matters.

Latest Posts

Back