Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Tulsion resin shelf life

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I use Tusion MB115.

I change my resin in my 6/7 liter di vessel once a year.

I bought a 25liter bag nearly 3 years ago. The last change I did was 9 months back and the resin is still polishing off the pure to zero. I have one change of resin left in the bag which I expect to do in September/October.

So I would expect to get a further year from the last change.

The resin is kept in the house so will never freeze.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use Tusion MB115.

I change my resin in my 6/7 liter di vessel once a year.

I bought a 25liter bag nearly 3 years ago. The last change I did was 9 months back and the resin is still polishing off the pure to zero. I have one change of resin left in the bag which I expect to do in September/October.

So I would expect to get a further year from the last change.

The resin is kept in the house so will never freeze.
Dose this heat degrade resin spruce?

Dose this heat degrade resin spruce?

According to Gardiners time and storage degrades resin.

Shelf life:

Unopened bag - around 2/3 years but there will be a slight drop in capacity of around 20/30%

Opened bag - as long as stored correctly in an airtight, sealed container can last a good year. If not stored correctly it will lose it’s capacity

My comment is that 20/30% isn't a slight drop off. If this is generally true then it could be a good thing that there is a resin shortage as any old stock would be cleared. Mines lasted 3 years so far and it lasts a year before I change it as it always has done. Mine is stored inside with the orginal packaging tied up with a cable tie. I've got an annual change due in a few months and the resin is still polishing the water off to zero atm. But intentionally or unintentionally, am I telling the full story? Are there other factors I haven't considered, ignored or chosen not to tell anyone about?

There was talk a few years ago that warmer water does impact on resin usage but I don't remember if a line was drawn underneath it confirming its accuracy. (I did an experiment a few years ago. I took some tap water in a stainless steel pot and measured its tds. I warmed it on the stove and took regular temperature and tds measurements as it was being warmed. I can't remember the actual figures, but the higher the water temperature the higher the tds. Now does that mean that we would use more resin to polish the warmer water off? I don't know. I have no way of being able to compare the resin used in a 'sliding doors' situation. When the same water in the pot cooled back to room temperature, the tds returned to its original reading. So does heating the water add more dissolved solids to that same pot of water? No. So the only other explanation for those raised readings can only be the tds meter's ability to read the concentration of those impurities.)

What we have found is that our water tds has been fluctuating quite considerably of late. For us it is up from it lowest of 79 to 123 atm. So I'm sure that if I was purifying water by di only and not monitoring water 'quality' then my first assumption would be to question resin quality. (I don't monitor our tap water tds regularily. I wonder if I would do it more regularily if I was di only; I don't know but my gut tells me I wouldn't.)

The trouble with us window cleaners is that we don't monitor our 'consumables' daily like it is a scientific experiment. So our opinions are gut feel related.

One of the local lads told me about 5 years ago that the bag of Tulsion resin we shared didn't last and he would never buy another bag of it again. It worked fine for me - same bag. When we spoke further he confirmed that he was probably using more water as he was supplying water to the windie next door who was doing tops only wfp. He was allegedly taking 75 liters a day, but as our friend took water when no one was around, one never knows exactly how much water was actually being taken.

Its very easy for one of us to say that "my last bag of resin was rubbish", but many times the windie saying it hasn't taken other variants into consideration. And other windies can be easily influenced by other's incorrect observations as well. I learnt this lesson many years ago when I was a Bosch representative for Bosch Rotary hammers (Kango type hammers). I had sold a chipping hammer to a construction site in Pretoria East. 3 days later I got an irrate call from the site foreman to come and collect this machine for repair as it was not working. I travelled through from Johannesburg and walked into an extremely annoyed foreman. Take this hammer away and don't show your face on this site until its sorted he told me. You can collect it from the stores. I went to the stores and saw what was left of a machine that had fallen from 5 stories onto the ground below and was destroyed. To cut a long story short, the labourer had told the boss 'the machine is broken' but failed to explain what happened. The boss didn't see the machine but made assumptions. The labourer didn't lie, he simply stated a fact which was true. I walked off the site with an order for a replacement machine. ?

Now I'm going back to me. A couple of years ago our resin was new and we were supplying a third window cleaner with water. That third window cleaner stopped window cleaning. Our water consumption has dropped, yet our resin lasted just as long the following year even although we used less water. So I'm saying on one hand our resin is just as good as it was 3 years ago, but was it? Is Gardiners statement of resin performance dropoff due to age correct? Are you now making a correct assumption based on the new information I've given? I'm not sure. The facts indicate that we did experience a drop off in resin performance in the second year, but how do we explain that the resin has performed the same in the third year?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back