Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Sealing not stopping weeds

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Anyone else had problems with weeds coming through after only 6 months or so of sealing? Been using smartseal 

Weeds will grow through tarmac you won’t stop them coming through sand with a tiny bit of sealer on it ????, generaly the problem is that the seeds are under the sand then they germinate and come up through it , we always advise customers that on going weed killing will be nesasary just spray with weed killer ever so often when they start to appear job done 

That’s strange because I’ve only had the problem in the last year, before never been an issue. I have a window cleaning customer that I cleaned and sealed 4 yrs ago and still today no weeds. Sand is still rock hard. Sorry but weeds should not be coming through sealed sand.

Weeds will grow through tarmac you won’t stop them coming through sand with a tiny bit of sealer on it ????, generaly the problem is that the seeds are under the sand then they germinate and come up through it , we always advise customers that on going weed killing will be nesasary just spray with weed killer ever so often when they start to appear job done 
If your only using a tiny bit of sealer no wonder you’re getting weeds come through ????

That’s strange because I’ve only had the problem in the last year, before never been an issue. I have a window cleaning customer that I cleaned and sealed 4 yrs ago and still today no weeds. Sand is still rock hard. Sorry but weeds should not be coming through sealed sand.

If there is seeds under the sand they will grow , if there are roots left behind when pressurewashing they will grow through sealed sand , plants will grow through tarmac as I said ,a bit of sand with sealer in it won’t stop that , if there is no weed seeds in the gaps nothing will grow , we have experienced exactly the same thing you have described , unless you dig up all the bricks remove all the sand and start again you will not stop this happening , we advise customers with problem drives to weed kill regularly this will eventually stop the problem , we have been pressurewashing drives  ,paths  etc for over 20 years some are fine some are not 

Yeah got to agree with Pjj, i don’t seal but i do tell customers ongoing maintenance is the key. For the price the customer would pay constantly forking out on weedkillers, i reckon its better off for them to invest in a petrol Strimmer. Very few driveways are maintenance free and i would suggest steering clear of selling them the “magical no weeds for x number of years” line. Because if it cant be lived up to then You’re in a pickle especially at the price of sealing.

i’m very careful not to big myself up. Customers see our photos and our work and people recommend us but very rarely do i big myself up to be captain fantastic “best in the area” etc etc...because i know the higher you big yourself up the more some people will look to bite me in the rear end the moment i slip up. 

either way, just like mowing the lawn, if the customer cant be bothered to either weed, strim or put weedkiller down once a fortnight, then it kind of says they’re not really concerned about how it looks ?‍♂️

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah got to agree with Pjj, i don’t seal but i do tell customers ongoing maintenance is the key. For the price the customer would pay constantly forking out on weedkillers, i reckon its better off for them to invest in a petrol Strimmer. Very few driveways are maintenance free and i would suggest steering clear of selling them the “magical no weeds for x number of years” line. Because if it cant be lived up to then You’re in a pickle especially at the price of sealing.

i’m very careful not to big myself up. Customers see our photos and our work and people recommend us but very rarely do i big myself up to be captain fantastic “best in the area” etc etc...because i know the higher you big yourself up the more some people will look to bite me in the rear end the moment i slip up. 

either way, just like mowing the lawn, if the customer cant be bothered to either weed, strim or put weedkiller down once a fortnight, then it kind of says they’re not really concerned about how it looks ?‍♂️
I always tell the customer that weeds will  eventually grow back just to cover myself, just strange that never had a problem before (not after just 6 months anyway) after last year I decided to stop sealing, but a customer asked today about it, so I thought I’d ask on here.

I did a patio and a driveway today in 3hrs with the twin turbo nozzle. My problem is the 240l bin which I keep over-running the supply when there is poor pressure. I'm going to see if I can pick up a 360l bin which would be a lot better and give me a longer tea-break waiting for it to fill up. :1f609:

drway3.jpg

drway4.jpg

drway.jpg

drway2.jpg

Latest Posts

Back