Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

What size tank suitable for a VW Caddy? ?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Joel Bland

Hi guys. I’m totally new to the windows. Just starting to get everything together to set up (van and pure water pole system) I’m just wondering how you tend to measure what size tank you'll need. I’ve been looking at a VW Caddy TDI so not sure which size is best?

Cheers

Payload is most important so if you have a payload of 650kg then you are going to be over the payload if you want a 500ltr tank as 500lts of water is 500kg plus the dry weight of tank and everything else ?

I’d go 500l tank but fill it up to 400L then mark it on the outside of the tank. Even though 50ls isn’t a lot, 350 seems restrictive, 400L for some reason seems a lot more doable. 

Then if you ever NEED a lot of water (like if you were doing 2 big gutters jobs near each other) then you’ve got the option of 450/500 litres.

If the pay load is 650, if you just have a tenner fuel in the tank and no  unnecessary weight, Just a reel, couple of poles, ladder etc then you may not actually be over hard to say. 

And size wise it does fit. My mate bought the swb normal caddy same time I got my maxi. He had it side ways by the sliding door. Was a squeeze but did fit. 

My mate just had a new system fitted in his caddy, by the cleaning warehouse and they would only fit a 350l tank that’s the max the van can take 

The dry weight of a 350ltr is around 25kg plus a tank frame at say 75kg there is 450kg with a full tank of water by the time you put all the system fittings in a hose reel and pole toolbox etc you could be hitting another 75kg, then you have to add in fuel and the weight of yourself there is over 500kg quite easily. 

Has anyone got any experience getting a 400L upright tank in a SWB Caddy? Cheers for all the responses 
Not got an upright, but have a flat 500l tank which fits in just fine. Though with the plastic bulkhead I'd say you must have it caged/bolted down. As the bulkhead is as useful as a chocolate fire-guard in an accident.

see this post for a rough idea of size/scale.

Has anyone got any experience getting a 400L upright tank in a SWB Caddy? Cheers for all the responses 
I cant believe the amount of window cleaners that buy unsuitable vehicles then try and squeeze their gear into it....

THE SWB CADDY IS NOT SUITABLE FOR WFP CLEANING........forget it and buy another van....if you plan on being a sole trader WFP window cleaner you need at least a 500L tank  so you need a van that has AT LEAST a 900kg payload.....a dispatch,connect L2 240,etc are ideal for a 500l tank plus you can fit your poles inside the roof without cutting into your bulkhead....?

I cant believe the amount of window cleaners that buy unsuitable vehicles then try and squeeze their gear into it....

THE SWB CADDY IS NOT SUITABLE FOR WFP CLEANING........forget it and buy another van....if you plan on being a sole trader WFP window cleaner you need at least a 500L tank  so you need a van that has AT LEAST a 900kg payload.....a dispatch,connect L2 240,etc are ideal for a 500l tank plus you can fit your poles inside the roof without cutting into your bulkhead....?
Disagree with that , 

lets say citron Nemo , very small van 

payload 660kg

don't need 500lite tank

350lite does me the day,  take home £280 

The OP is just starting out don’t waste loads money on stuff , what happens if this isn’t for you ,  keep tight budget till you 100% kno this is what you want todo full time , then Plan for the long run

Last edited by a moderator:
Disagree with that , 

lets say citron Nemo , very small van 

payload 660kg

don't need 500lite tank

350lite does me the day,  take home £280 

The OP is just starting out don’t waste loads money on stuff , what happens if this isn’t for you ,  keep tight budget till you 100% kno this is what you want todo full time , then Plan for the long run

With the greatest of respect you cannot clean windows all day with 350 ltr of water yes you can do  a few houses but not work all day . When I started wfp on my own I would empty a 650 ltr working all day , if you are serious about window cleaning there is no point in buying a small tank then in 6 months realising you have made a mistake and have to get a bigger van and set up , most sole traders will have a 500 ltr tank as dazmond said , we regularly use 1000- 1200 ltr per day per van with two people , we do a lot of work at least 7 hours a day on the glass sometimes more . The only way 350 will last all day is if you do tops only wfp or do  a lot of driving between jobs ,and park  up a lot drinking tea ???

I got a van on finance - Peaguot partner with 40K miles on the clock, 850 payload and full service history. it costs me 130£pm for the van on a finance deal (with 3 yrs warranty and 2 yrs breakdown cover) - then i got a 450L compact phoenix tank + power reel fitted. Overall it works great as a start up system for someone with low capital to start up. The finance on the van is a deal that is no extra interest if you pay off early (very imp[ortant some deals with hold you to a ridiculously high price if you pay off early) so i plan on clearing the van price down to a good amount and either re trading it in for a larger van or just keeping it and getting another van aswell in the future. Agree that tank is slightly on the small size as Pjj said but you gotta start somewhere and the extra 100L on the 350L setup is super valuable imo

I have a Vauxhall Combo/Fiat Doblo and most of my work is compact as in I move the van 4-5 times in a day on the same estates, I have one day in particular I do 30 houses 21 of these are 4 bed detached houses and the rest are 3 beds and I have a 350ltr upright tank and still come home with water in the tank at the end of each working day, I don't have a big van because I don't need one or want one and it wouldn't fit in my garage in the winter ?

20190527_110908.jpg

I have a Vauxhall Combo/Fiat Doblo and most of my work is compact as in I move the van 4-5 times in a day on the same estates, I have one day in particular I do 30 houses 21 of these are 4 bed detached houses and the rest are 3 beds and I have a 350ltr upright tank and still come home with water in the tank at the end of each working day, I don't have a big van because I don't need one or want one and it wouldn't fit in my garage in the winter ?

View attachment 16963
Do you drink cups of tea all day long Aswell haha

i run a swb caddy with a 350ltr tank,does me all day no probs.

if you are a sole trader using over 500ltrs in a day imo just must be really careless with water conservation 

I have no idear how you come home with water in the tank with just 350  ltr to start with , two of use are in one van and doing up to 100 properties a day of various sizes , but it’s not the size that’s important it’s the number of hours actually on the glass we do a minimum of seven hours a day per van so with two people that’s 14 working hours per day and use between 1000 when doing domestic to - 1500 ltr when doing big commercial work . We don't waste water neither do we scrimp on it . Years ago when I started wfp working on my own  I had a 650 ltr tank and again working 7 hours on the glass would empty the tank most days , I guess we all have different  ways of working , I just struggle to see how ones work all day with 350 ltr I know a lot of window cleaners and none that I know could do that the vast majority have 500 ltr tanks and some top

up again at lunch time to keep them going , maybe different parts of the country are easier to clean depending what  the dirt is on the windows , 90 % of what we do has seagull poo on it and lots of snail trails and pollen , so maybe we use more water beacause of that I don’t know .

i run a swb caddy with a 350ltr tank,does me all day no probs.

if you are a sole trader using over 500ltrs in a day imo just must be really careless with water conservation 
how much trad do you do?i cant see how 350L does you all day,i only work 5-6  hours a day  and come home with very little water left in my 500L tank,i do very little trad,most days none at all,i also wash most doors down as well as frames, sills and glass....

i use a univalve and work with a high flow......yours must be dribbling out of your brush!?

Latest Posts

Back