Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

How many miles to clean?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I drive about 12 miles or so ( half an hour drive ) I would happily drive more if all the customers where online payers or for commercial work

I do drive out about ten miles for some days, but try and make sure its £150 or more for these. I figured its good for the diesel van too, having a little run instead of just stopping and starting locally.

I am thinking of moving to this area 30 miles away though, which would mean an hours commute each way so would ideally want more then. Its tricky, as that would be nackering. Either that or have to try and gradually get more work in the new area and risk the wrath of the local established cleaners (diss, norfolk, any on here?)

about 50 min drive for 4 days in the month. it's all good work, well over £200 up to 350 a day. Also I live in quite a rural area so a bit of traveling is to be expected. 

Currently about 12-13 miles for my furthest away day. However I would quite happily work hours away from home if the pay was right. Quite happy be paid to drive, and listen to music.

I don't travel to far as much of my work is a quick ten mins away. The further out stuff I'm selling here, eBay and gumtree as I'm getting to a point where I'm being asked to clean closer to home and haven't the time.

so it's gotta go :).

I'm lucky and clean in my own village and the next village over so I don't do more than 3 miles in a day at my most. Some days not even 1 mile.

2.5 miles is my limit as I have no need or desire to travel any further, if you need to travel, whatever the reason maybe then it has to be done. 

I wouldn’t want rounds more than 5 miles away...for the simple reason ive done silly things before and left a backpack or pole behind and had to go back to retrieve it. And if youre human there will always be that one time you second guess yourself on whether you secured the side gate. I always go back to check if im in doubt. Also if you have a moaner (ive got a streak on one window but the other 12 windows are all fine) and theyre a fuss pot and it must be resolved now..then you dont wanna be driving ages to resolve that sort of thing. These things rarely happen but should they do then youll sure wish your work was closer. As far as one off cleans go, or ad ons, anywhere really providing they’re willing to pay high rates to cover the extra travel time and diesel usage. Just make sure everything is square before you leave as its a long way back ?

Last edited by a moderator:
4 years ago..anywhere! Well within the region almost

Now maybe 15 mins each direction all into a week in this town, a week in that town etc.

Today we’re in Newcastle,Oxford and Herefordshire. Just go where the money is. Not sure why people get hung up on staying local.

Gosport! That’s freakin’ miles from you? We do a job in Fareham occasionally. Lots of traffic........

Today we’re in Newcastle,Oxford and Herefordshire. Just go where the money is. Not sure why people get hung up on staying local.
Wow that's some traveling but If the money is good then I suppose your golden. Me I'll stay local as I make enough round here to keep me ticking over quite nicely, saves on fuel and I can be back home for 2pm most days.

I’d travel to the moon and back if the money was right for a big job. As for smaller domestic jobs I never really go much further than a mile from any of my existing work. Remember that when your wheels  are turning your not earning. 

My furthest round is a little sleepy village 17 miles away. It’s alright, just no one ever in & no phone service. So a bit boring. 

The rest is all within 0.5-8 miles of my house. I only started 5 years ago, so I think the days of starting out now and saying “all my work is within the same 8 roads on this or that estate” is gone. So many people started up in the last 10 years it seems. I actually quite like a variety of different areas though. Don’t mind driving around. 

Back