Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Gardiner vs Ionics

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Rigo

Need to buy new pole. Most of my work is domestic.

Need to reach heights upto velux windows on 3 storey homes. 

What pole would you buy???

Gardiner’s all the way Ionic’s poles are rubbish trust me I have had them all over the years . 
I had a look at Ionics poles recently out of curiosity as I was there getting a reel of pole hose and they were showing the poles to someone. They felt whippy and fragile to me and the brush hose tees were very delicate looking.

I think the general loyalty to Gardiner's is well deserved. I think probably, with the heights you're talking about and the reaching back to velux windows you'd need an SLX 30 minimum, possibly a 35 would be better. Someone with more experience at that height will advise you whether or not I'm right, I'm sure.

SLX22 does most of my work but would be too short for yours. ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a CLX 27, with the three extra extensions as my only pole and it has served me very very well, I have used this pole daily, 5 days a week for nearly 6 years straight and it has never let me down, it is on its last legs now though and a couple of sections have broken over the years, so they have been cut down and refixed. I'm holding out until the end of my financial year (this month) before a buy a new one with all the sections.

I find the CLX the most hard wearing pole on the market. Nothing beats it for longevity. 

If you can afford an slx 18 and 35, that would be my recommendation as it's what I use. I also use the Phantom 18 from Window Cleaning warehouse and really like that too.
Although a CLX will outlast an SLX by a factor of two. Personally,  I don't think an SLX carbon is worth it until your looking at working at 35ft or higher, the flex in the CLX is actually very handy for reaching over long roofs at an angle from the side, if you have a window on a 3rd or 4th story that you wouldn't be able to get to, the bend and flex helps, and it tends to be more resistant to scraping (edges of roof tiles etc) when working at such strange angles.  Also you don't get carbon dust on your hands, they are safer in terms of being less conductive, and the extra weight of the CLX means you don't have to apply as much force on the window at height as the weight of the pole itself helps with moving bird poop etc.

Yes it's nice having carbon poles, and don't get me wrong if you want to buy them, feel free. But I just don't think it's worth the outlay for mainly domestic work. If you are doing office blocks every day, then the carbon ones id' say are a must.

On a side note, many years ago before WFP became popular, I used to have contracts with property management companies, we used to use Brodex Carbon poles, they were as wide as tree trunks, and as long as an extended 18 foot, fully closed..now that was a real mans pole..bloody hard to work with..

????

Although a CLX will outlast an SLX by a factor of two.
I'm not sure I agree with that, I've just looked at my records and I appear to have bought my SL-X18 in May 2010. It's my go to pole, does 99% of my work and doesn't get as much love and care as it should. I have replaced one clamp and it has new style levers on it. I have recently replaced the end screw fittting with a number one clamp to make it compatible with the twist valve.

I reckon it's got some life left in it yet! ?

Although a CLX will outlast an SLX by a factor of two. Personally,  I don't think an SLX carbon is worth it until your looking at working at 35ft or higher, the flex in the CLX is actually very handy for reaching over long roofs at an angle from the side, if you have a window on a 3rd or 4th story that you wouldn't be able to get to, the bend and flex helps, and it tends to be more resistant to scraping (edges of roof tiles etc) when working at such strange angles.  Also you don't get carbon dust on your hands, they are safer in terms of being less conductive, and the extra weight of the CLX means you don't have to apply as much force on the window at height as the weight of the pole itself helps with moving bird poop etc.

Yes it's nice having carbon poles, and don't get me wrong if you want to buy them, feel free. But I just don't think it's worth the outlay for mainly domestic work. If you are doing office blocks every day, then the carbon ones id' say are a must.

On a side note, many years ago before WFP became popular, I used to have contracts with property management companies, we used to use Brodex Carbon poles, they were as wide as tree trunks, and as long as an extended 18 foot, fully closed..now that was a real mans pole..bloody hard to work with..

????
Ah, those were the days, when I was younger and stronger. I would have been able to manage with that kind of kit.

Had a major operation in December. Now the SLX22 is my limit for working weight part time.  Have to see how it goes. I've bought an Extreme 22 in case I struggle, though I'm reluctant to give in to a lighter pole as I don't want to get too soft. I'm 64 and only a little 5'7'" light weight. ?

how on earth do you get your main everyday poles to last so long?......mine are knackered after 12-18 months.....i only use xtreme 25s though....i could never go back to the clx and slx poles now unless its an emergency...far too heavy and bendy when cleaning awkward angle windows over connys and extensions(i have lots on some parts of my round)....

how on earth do you get your main everyday poles to last so long?......mine are knackered after 12-18 months.....i only use xtreme 25s though....i could never go back to the clx and slx poles now unless its an emergency...far too heavy and bendy when cleaning awkward angle windows over connys and extensions(i have lots on some parts of my round)....
My extreme 18 is 18 months old and still going strong, I’m ready to buy another before April, will strip it down and lacquer it ready for a spare.

my extreme 25 is still like brand new but doesn’t get used much.

my best pole is still the clx4 used it today 4 bungelows in a row ?

Back