Best Way to Remove O - Clips

What is the best way to remove O-clips?

At the moment I twist and wrestle with them with the plyers used to put them on, and try to clamp down on the side bits from different angles- it's messy and takes a while.

There must be an easier way, any advice welcome - thank you

20200530_131535.png

21 minutes ago, Louis said:

At the moment I twist and wrestle with them with the plyers used to put them on, and try to clamp down on the side bits from different angles- it's messy and takes a while.

20200530_131535.png

If you are using the O clips supplied by Exceed Innovations then you can remove them by 'nibbling' an ear off with your O clip pliers.

I have purchased some off ebay which are made of stainless steel so I have to get the grinder onto them. If I'm removing them holding the hose onto a plastic barb then I can't let the O Clip get too hot as it will melt the hose barb. Someone else suggested a Driemel tool a while back.

Edited by spruce

I use a flat head screwdriver like a chisel, and a hammer. You can break through the ear/tail bit. Takes about 2 minutes of some good hitting but always works And I’ve never broken a univalve yet. 

doug atkinson

Pair on pliers and slightly squeeze the ends that are crimped. Then dip in boiling water for about 2 mins then pull the fitting out. You may have to squeeze the o clip another time but always works for me.

I use the Knipex cutter. Second item from left in the photo. It's about 6 inches long. Not cheap. I think it was about £30 but it's nice and compact and the German quality is superb. It will nip straight through the double eared ones like butter. The single eared hard steel ones that Gardiner's supply are a little less easy but no problem. I nip them in small bites and work it that way. I tried a Bremel disc cutter but I melted plastic spigots on Univalve and Slick Connect.

20200613_191031.jpg

Edited by Davy G
11 hours ago, Louis said:

20200530_131535.png

I use my dremel with a cutter attachment 

brianbadonde

Gardiners have a video showing how to remove these. Cut hose as close to the end of the barb as possible. Then use piers to grasp one end of the o clip and the top of the barb and squeeze.

• 2 weeks later...
Window master

is there one for getting it off a uni valve, I have broken two in the past. Its a worry every time lol, help!!

9 hours ago, Window master said:

is there one for getting it off a uni valve, I have broken two in the past. Its a worry every time lol, help!!

Use bolt cutters, does the job nice and easy every time.

scottish cleaning service
4 hours ago, wezza13 said:

Use bolt cutters, does the job nice and easy every time.

A vice and a battery grinder is my choice of tools. 😉

14 minutes ago, scottish cleaning service said:

A vice and a battery grinder is my choice of tools. 😉

Trouble was when I tried it, I melted the plastic spigot on the Univalve. 😩

1 minute ago, Iron Giant said:

Try and get hold of this fella 

download (5).jpg

Haha! I did read years ago, (I can't vouch for whether there's any truth to it) that before he went into films he was a door to door, life insurance salesman. Can you imagine? 😁

2 hours ago, Davy G said:

Haha! I did read years ago, (I can't vouch for whether there's any truth to it) that before he went into films he was a door to door, life insurance salesman. Can you imagine? 😁

They'd be thinking he comes the Grim Reaper himself 😅