Jump to content

Pole clamp question


Recommended Posts

The levers on my slx22 dont seem to push all the way over, they are pretty much screwed as tightly as theyll go to stop the pole spinning.

Will i need to replace the clamps completely or just the lever mechanism?

Link to post
3 minutes ago, HWCS said:

The levers on my slx22 dont seem to push all the way over, they are pretty much screwed as tightly as theyll go to stop the pole spinning.

Will i need to replace the clamps completely or just the lever mechanism?

Sound like the clamps are shot and possibly pole sections worn around their home position 

 

Replace the whole entire clamp

Collar lever and all associated clamp hardware 

Many have upgraded to facelift 

Link to post

First thing to do is check wear on pole and if necessary build up the carbon with some lacquer. The other thing you can do is replace the shims. https://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/gardiner-smart-clamp-delrinr-shims.html I think you can do royal mail as a cheaper slower ship method. I believe the shims are the sacrificial element but I am sure @Alex Gardiner can elaborate more.

Link to post
4 minutes ago, ched999uk said:

First thing to do is check wear on pole and if necessary build up the carbon with some lacquer. The other thing you can do is replace the shims. https://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/gardiner-smart-clamp-delrinr-shims.html I think you can do royal mail as a cheaper slower ship method. I believe the shims are the sacrificial element but I am sure @Alex Gardiner can elaborate more.

The clamps literally touch on the part where the bolt goes through

Link to post
Alex Gardiner
2 minutes ago, HWCS said:

The clamps literally touch on the part where the bolt goes through

Hi HWCS

How old is the pole?

If this is happening it would usually mean one of two things:

1. The clamp is broken and a jaw has cracked (very rare)

2. The section has worn and reduced the outer diameter to an extent that the clamp can no longer clamp on the section.

I can probably best diagnose from some photos -  some of the clamps when fully closed with levers not closing down and also photos of the sections just below each clamp. Feel free to send them to me in a PM or on this thread 🙂

If the section outer diameter has worn them sometimes replacing the clamps can help, but not always.

 

 

Link to post
7 minutes ago, HWCS said:

The clamps literally touch on the part where the bolt goes through

That sounds like the poles are worn badly or the shims are worn. One thing you could try is swapping a shim from the largest clamp to the smallest. See if that makes the a difference to the smallest clamp. If it does then you might get away with new shims. If not then sounds like the poles need some lacquer to build up the diameter they have lost. As a temp fix you could not extend or collapse each section as much so you are clamping on a different part of the pole?

Link to post
9 minutes ago, Alex Gardiner said:

Hi HWCS

How old is the pole?

If this is happening it would usually mean one of two things:

1. The clamp is broken and a jaw has cracked (very rare)

2. The section has worn and reduced the outer diameter to an extent that the clamp can no longer clamp on the section.

I can probably best diagnose from some photos -  some of the clamps when fully closed with levers not closing down and also photos of the sections just below each clamp. Feel free to send them to me in a PM or on this thread 🙂

If the section outer diameter has worn them sometimes replacing the clamps can help, but not always.

 

 

 

20210413_192149.jpg

20210413_192218.jpg

20210413_192248.jpg

Link to post
15 minutes ago, Alex Gardiner said:

Thanks HWCS

The pole does not look that worn - how old is it roughly?

A year, but it has been used alot

Link to post
Alex Gardiner

Hi HWCS

Looking carefully at the pole it would appear that the resting place below each clamp has worn the most - as you would expect to see on a pole that is used on a lot of domestic type work (when most sections are fully closed and the pole is used sideways more which adds twisting action).

To test if the clamps are OK if you close each section down leaving about 5cm open and then close each clamp up and adjust the levers nuts back off, so that the clamp just holds the section tightly under twisting force. Are the clamp levers now closing correctly? If yes then this confirms that the issue is localized wear at the fully closed position on each section.

There are many different solutions for a pole once worn like this - some have already been mentioned by other posters.

1. A very simple option is to wrap a few wraps of electrical tape around the top of these sections over this worn part and then the section will not fully close down and the clamp will then be made to clamp on the lower part of the section where this wear is not present. Whilst not very elegant this is a very quick way of allowing the pole to continue in use.
2. What some customers have done is to carefully mask off the edge of the section against the worn part and then using a two-pack epoxy glue have carefully built up these worn areas with several very thin layers of glue - once hardened it can be carefully sanded smooth and effectively repairs the section to its original outside diameter allowing full clamping action.
3. The clamps can be knocked off (or cut off and replaced) and then the end of each section can be carefully sawn off to remove this area of wear before gluing the clamps back on (or new ones) and this way the sections are now clamping on the much less worn portion.
4. The sections can of course be replaced individually and we supply all spare sections for these poles.

If you would like any further input, then please feel free to PM me or send an email 🙂
 

Edited by Alex Gardiner
Link to post
6 minutes ago, Alex Gardiner said:

Hi HWCS

Looking carefully at the pole it would appear that the resting place below each clamp has worn the most - as you would expect to see on a pole that is used on a lot of domestic type work (when most section are fully closed and the pole is used sideways more which adds twisting action).

To test if the clamps are OK if you close each section down leaving about 5cm open and then close each clamp up and adjust the levers nuts back off, so that the clamp just holds the section tightly under twisting force. Are the clamp levers now closing correctly? If yes then this confirms that the issue is localized wear at the fully closed position on each section.

There are many different solutions for a pole once worn like this - some have already been mention by other posters.

1. A very simple option is to wrap a few wraps of electrical tape around the top of these sections over this worn part and then the section will not fully close down and the clamp will then be made to clamp on the lower part of the section where this wear is not present. Whilst not very elegant this is a very quick way of allowing the pole to continue in use.
2. What some customers have done is to carefully mask off the edge of the section against the worn part and then using a two-pack epoxy glue have carefully built up these worn areas with several very thin layers of glue - once hardened it can be carefully sanded smooth and effectively repairs the section to its original outside diameter allowing full clamping action.
3. The clamps can be knocked off (or cut off and replaced) and then the end of each section can be carefully sawn off to remove this area of wear before gluing the clamps back on (or new ones) and this way the sections are now clamping on the much less worn portion.
4. The sections can of course be replaced individually and we supply all spare sections for these poles.

If you would like any further input, then please feel free to PM me or send an email 🙂
 

Cheers Alex, theres deffo a cpl of things there ill look at trying, will probably be onto gardiners soon for a new pole, i bought an slx30 at the same time as the 22 and ita had the same amount of use but hasnt worn at all.

 

Jon

Link to post
Alex Gardiner
1 minute ago, HWCS said:

Cheers Alex, theres deffo a cpl of things there ill look at trying, will probably be onto gardiners soon for a new pole, i bought an slx30 at the same time as the 22 and ita had the same amount of use but hasnt worn at all.

 

Jon

Hi Jon

This would be as expected - generally these smaller poles get used more at an angle on ground floor windows etc. which applies a strong twisting action on the section and clamps - this is most noticeable in wear on the fully closed position. Whereas an SLX30 tends to get used on higher level work which is mainly in the vertical plane and puts very little twisting wear on the sections by comparison.

Also smaller poles can often be used with heavier, wider brushes and this can increase the twisting wear action.

Link to post

Ok now i feel a bit of a tw4t,after further inspection it seems the whole spinning problem is caused by clamp #2 has come loose on the pole, so will just need regluing.

All the other clamps have just been overtightened by the lad that works for me.

But on the brightside its taught me another lesson, always carry spare parts for the pole, ive gor not resin/glue to reglue the clamp to the pole, whats peoples go to for refitting Gardiner clamps to poles.

Link to post
Alex Gardiner

Well at least that is an easy fix 🙂

Any epoxy resin two pack glue will do the job.

If you want a quick set then this stuff is amazing - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Araldite®-Fusion-3g-Syringe-Epoxy/dp/B006XBTZ24/ref=sr_1_14?dchild=1&keywords=araldite&qid=1618385228&sr=8-14

The key with re-gluing is to make sure both surfaces are fully clean and dry.

If you need a really quick fix to work with the pole today then just pull the clamp up and off the section, wrap1-2 wraps of electrical tape around the very top of the section and then jam the clamp body back down on to this tape. This works very well and can often last for months.

Link to post
38 minutes ago, HWCS said:

Ok now i feel a bit of a tw4t,after further inspection it seems the whole spinning problem is caused by clamp #2 has come loose on the pole, so will just need regluing.

All the other clamps have just been overtightened by the lad that works for me.

But on the brightside its taught me another lesson, always carry spare parts for the pole, ive gor not resin/glue to reglue the clamp to the pole, whats peoples go to for refitting Gardiner clamps to poles.

Just use a quality 2 part expoxy resin.

Remove the clamp collar, wipe the top clean with an alcohol wipe so it's clean and grease free 

I wrap a piece of insulation tape under where the clamp sits to stop glue dripping and makes a good stop.

Link to post
9 hours ago, Alex Gardiner said:

Well at least that is an easy fix 🙂

Any epoxy resin two pack glue will do the job.

If you want a quick set then this stuff is amazing - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Araldite®-Fusion-3g-Syringe-Epoxy/dp/B006XBTZ24/ref=sr_1_14?dchild=1&keywords=araldite&qid=1618385228&sr=8-14

The key with re-gluing is to make sure both surfaces are fully clean and dry.

If you need a really quick fix to work with the pole today then just pull the clamp up and off the section, wrap1-2 wraps of electrical tape around the very top of the section and then jam the clamp body back down on to this tape. This works very well and can often last for months.

Cheers for you usual great advice on this issue, ive put an order in with you guys for your stuff 👍👍

Link to post

But of an update, i ordered the 2 part poxy resin from Gardiners and used it today to repair the spinning clamp.

Used Squeeky Cleans youtube video as a guide and that clamp aint going nowhere in a hurry 👍👍👍

 

Also stripped the whole pole down and gave it a bit of a spruce up, wiped down all the sections with alcohol wipes (could not believe how must carbon dust they removed), replaced the yellow tape on the sections with a wrap of masking tape, and shes like a brand new hose.

 

Didnt have any ptfe spray for the sections will this affect the use of the pole for a few days until i get some and give them a spray? If it will ill leave that pole alone till ive got some.

 

Cheers @Alex Gardiner for your help and advice 👍 as a reward ive spent £150 on more bits n pieces today (pens not yellow tools please 🤣🤣🤣🤣)

Link to post
32 minutes ago, HWCS said:

But of an update, i ordered the 2 part poxy resin from Gardiners and used it today to repair the spinning clamp.

Used Squeeky Cleans youtube video as a guide and that clamp aint going nowhere in a hurry 👍👍👍

 

Also stripped the whole pole down and gave it a bit of a spruce up, wiped down all the sections with alcohol wipes (could not believe how must carbon dust they removed), replaced the yellow tape on the sections with a wrap of masking tape, and shes like a brand new hose.

 

Didnt have any ptfe spray for the sections will this affect the use of the pole for a few days until i get some and give them a spray? If it will ill leave that pole alone till ive got some.

 

Cheers @Alex Gardiner for your help and advice 👍 as a reward ive spent £150 on more bits n pieces today (pens not yellow tools please 🤣🤣🤣🤣)

With respect, using alcohol wipes in general to clean pole sections isn't best advised as it's alcohol which may work as a stripping agent on the lacquer or carbon fibre.

They are okay for localised cleaning such as clamp body replacement and re-bonding

To clean poles just use warm water and washing up liquid which removes debris then spray with even coats of silicone spray 

Link to post
32 minutes ago, Apw1210 said:

With respect, using alcohol wipes in general to clean pole sections isn't best advised as it's alcohol which may work as a stripping agent on the lacquer or carbon fibre.

They are okay for localised cleaning such as clamp body replacement and re-bonding

To clean poles just use warm water and washing up liquid which removes debris then spray with even coats of silicone spray 

Cheers for the tip mate, i wasnt aware of that, i just assumed that because Squeeky clean dave used them to replace clamp they would be fine to wipe pole down, next time ill use soapy water 👍👍

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.