Jump to content

Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.

Bilge pump wiring?


Recommended Posts

Hey all. So I have a bilge pump going in my van tank to fast fill a backpack. Now electrical aspects are definitely not my area of expertise so can anyone help with a simple working diagram? There will be no float switch, just a simple on off toggle switch. 

So simply negative from the pump to negative battery terminal. But what about positive from the pump? Where does the switch fit in if the positive goes to the battery? Also do I need a fuse in line and if so whereabouts? 

Please help an electrical idiot! 

Link to comment

You are correct about the negative.

As for positive, yes you need a fuse, ideally as close to the battery as possible. The fuse rating should be a bit higher than the pump needs. ie if it says it consumes 5 amps then a 7.5 amp would be good but a 10amp would also probably be fine. Fuses are purely to protect the cable from going up in flames should it short to the chassis of the van (in simple terms).

So battery +ve to fuse - out of fuse to switch - out of switch to bilge pump +ve wire. Simple as that.

Make sure that there are no strands of wire sticking out of connectors and you twist the strands together before you put them in connectors. 

Austin @Apw1210 did a couple of nice simple vids on connectors that might help?

 

 

Link to comment
3 hours ago, ched999uk said:

You are correct about the negative.

As for positive, yes you need a fuse, ideally as close to the battery as possible. The fuse rating should be a bit higher than the pump needs. ie if it says it consumes 5 amps then a 7.5 amp would be good but a 10amp would also probably be fine. Fuses are purely to protect the cable from going up in flames should it short to the chassis of the van (in simple terms).

So battery +ve to fuse - out of fuse to switch - out of switch to bilge pump +ve wire. Simple as that.

Make sure that there are no strands of wire sticking out of connectors and you twist the strands together before you put them in connectors. 

Austin @Apw1210 did a couple of nice simple vids on connectors that might help?

 

 

Thanks very much, appreciate the reply. One thing. At the risk of sounding completely brainless does the positive wire from the switch to the pump attach to the same connection as the fused wire or a separate one? The on off switches I have have three prongs? 

Link to comment
3 hours ago, ched999uk said:

You are correct about the negative.

As for positive, yes you need a fuse, ideally as close to the battery as possible. The fuse rating should be a bit higher than the pump needs. ie if it says it consumes 5 amps then a 7.5 amp would be good but a 10amp would also probably be fine. Fuses are purely to protect the cable from going up in flames should it short to the chassis of the van (in simple terms).

So battery +ve to fuse - out of fuse to switch - out of switch to bilge pump +ve wire. Simple as that.

Make sure that there are no strands of wire sticking out of connectors and you twist the strands together before you put them in connectors. 

Austin @Apw1210 did a couple of nice simple vids on connectors that might help?

 

 

Many thank for the tag Ched

12 minutes ago, wonderer99 said:

Thanks very much, appreciate the reply. One thing. At the risk of sounding completely brainless does the positive wire from the switch to the pump attach to the same connection as the fused wire or a separate one? The on off switches I have have three prongs? 

Here you go mate. Especially made just for you.

Need any further help just ask away

 

kind regards Austin

wfp.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
29 minutes ago, Apw1210 said:

Many thank for the tag Ched

Here you go mate. Especially made just for you.

Need any further help just ask away

 

kind regards Austin

wfp.jpg

You are a gent. Thank you mate! 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
44 minutes ago, wonderer99 said:

The on off switches I have have three prongs? 

Put the wire from the fuse to the middle connector on the switch then the wire to pump on either one of the others that should make it work. 

Link to comment
20 hours ago, Apw1210 said:

Did you solve your dilemma?

Not yet bud. Was waiting on a new switch to arrive so will get it done tomorrow. Will let you know 🙂

Link to comment

@Apw1210 hey bud. I have wired up as your diagram shows but not sure where to connect the negative wire from the toggle switch? As wired the pump turns on when connected to 5he battery and stays on whichever way the switch is flicked? The black wire from the toggle is not connected to anything at the mo. 

IMG_20210529_113656.jpg

Link to comment
12 minutes ago, wonderer99 said:

@Apw1210 hey bud. I have wired up as your diagram shows but not sure where to connect the negative wire from the toggle switch? As wired the pump turns on when connected to 5he battery and stays on whichever way the switch is flicked? The black wire from the toggle is not connected to anything at the mo. 

IMG_20210529_113656.jpg

The switch should be effectively cutting the +ve wire that goes from fuse to pump. So from fuse to centre of switch, from either of other 2 pins on switch to the pump. Simple as that. The -ve from batter goes straight to the other connection on the pump, no other -ve wires are needed. 

Think of the switch the same as you touching the +ve wire from pump onto the +ver terminal of the battery. When you move the wire away from the battery there is an air gap between wire and battery so no electricity flows. A switch provides the same air gap when you flick it.

Hope that helps?

Link to comment
Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, ched999uk said:

The switch should be effectively cutting the +ve wire that goes from fuse to pump. So from fuse to centre of switch, from either of other 2 pins on switch to the pump. Simple as that. The -ve from batter goes straight to the other connection on the pump, no other -ve wires are needed. 

Think of the switch the same as you touching the +ve wire from pump onto the +ver terminal of the battery. When you move the wire away from the battery there is an air gap between wire and battery so no electricity flows. A switch provides the same air gap when you flick it.

Hope that helps?

I'm sorry but the drawing @Apw1210 made for @wonderer99is very clear. If he is having difficulty in transposing the drawing model to the real thing then I suggest he get someone else to wire it up for him.

Sorry@wonderer99 Please don't take offence; it said for your own protection as electricity, especially 230v, (not applicable here) is very dangerous. It's said with the best of intentions.

Edited by spruce
Link to comment
16 minutes ago, spruce said:

I'm sorry but the drawing @Apw1210 made for @wonderer99is very clear. If he is having difficulty in transposing the drawing model to the real thing then I suggest he get someone else to wire it up for him.

Sorry@wonderer99 Please don't take offence; it said for your own protection as electricity, especially 230v, (not applicable here) is very dangerous. It's said with the best of intentions.

I did think Austin's drawing were perfect and I was a bit hesitant to try and clarify but who ever is doing it can solder and use heatshrink. So I was giving them the benefit of the doubt as they seem to be doing a good safe job connecting things just needed slight clarification. 

As you say mains 230vac is deadly and not to be messed with at all. Even 12v can cause fires as the current that can come from a battery is massive and will easily melt insulation and make wires glow red hot and will cause a fire. Hence me mentioning the fuse again.

Link to comment
3 hours ago, wonderer99 said:

@Apw1210 hey bud. I have wired up as your diagram shows but not sure where to connect the negative wire from the toggle switch? As wired the pump turns on when connected to 5he battery and stays on whichever way the switch is flicked? The black wire from the toggle is not connected to anything at the mo. 

IMG_20210529_113656.jpg

The reason my schematic drawing is colour coded is to prevent mistakes as 12v low voltage wiring utilises switching between the lives (red +) the only similarly with HV wiring

To simplify simple for you

Battery positive  - to red wire - to fuse holder - to red wire - to switch pin - switch pin to red wire to pump positive

Negative black wire from pump to battery terminal Negative

Link to comment
2 hours ago, ched999uk said:

I did think Austin's drawing were perfect and I was a bit hesitant to try and clarify but who ever is doing it can solder and use heatshrink. So I was giving them the benefit of the doubt as they seem to be doing a good safe job connecting things just needed slight clarification. 

As you say mains 230vac is deadly and not to be messed with at all. Even 12v can cause fires as the current that can come from a battery is massive and will easily melt insulation and make wires glow red hot and will cause a fire. Hence me mentioning the fuse again.

I could of drawn in CAD but kiss keep it simple stupid

Link to comment
15 minutes ago, wonderer99 said:

Thanks guys. All up and running now. Appreciate the help

We are always on hand to offer tried trusted and valuable advice

Happy to get you where you needed to be

 

don't be a stranger and try to give back interact and help the next guy when you can 

 

Austin

Link to comment

Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.


Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Ad Blocker Detected

Please disable your ad blocker

Our forum relies on ads to pay for the servers and our time maintaining and running the forum.

Sadly running a forum like this is not free, and due to our popularity, we need servers that can handle the amount of traffic and resources our forum uses.

 

If you do not wish to see ads on our site, please consider supporting the forum with a membership subscription.

 

Accept