Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Ro failure or filters done

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Gasket

Hi guys, started to fill tank tonight ,checked inline tds and it was at 6. Haven't filled up since sunday due to other reasons,  but when I did it was at 1.  While I was there watching over a period of 15 mins it gradually rose to 12 tds when I finally stopped.  I then changed sediment and carbon filters, and tried again. No difference.  Approx 240 tds out the tap , and currently 35 ish after ro, so It appears the problem is with the ro.  Would filters wear out that quickly, that fine one day and not next, or could it have become damaged in some way. Its 450 gpd, system all other factors appear in changed. Ro is about 3 years old from Pure Freedom

TIA

How often do you flush the ro? From the figues you have given looks like ro is only 85% efficient! I assume your pressure is good? Have you tried adjusting your waste ratio?

How often do you flush the ro? From the figues you have given looks like ro is only 85% efficient! I assume your pressure is good? Have you tried adjusting your waste ratio?
Probably flush an hour or so, about 3 times a month, never really adjusted the waste ratio apart from when I flush. I will give it a go

How is it 35 out of ro but 12 out of filters? 
then filters are before ro membrane hence pre filter ? I’ve installed pre filters before and screwed Them in without aligning properly at the top and this has caused problems. My tap is 320 ish after ro it should be around 5. 
you’ll learn to look after your membranes probably a year after buying a 40/40 when neglecting it hits you with a big bill replacing it

400gpd system is 20 inch membrane I think? Or 3 horizontal ro filter on top of the pre filters ?

good tip is when you change pre filters figure out by what they recommend how many litres produced before changing for example 50000 litres before changing  you use 1000 a week set a reminder to change them in 50 weeks on your phone or as I saw @Pjjmention mark it on outside of of the filter housing. Probably the latter as that’s what I’ll be doing from now on ?

then filters are before ro membrane hence pre filter ? I’ve installed pre filters before and screwed Them in without aligning properly at the top and this has caused problems. My tap is 320 ish after ro it should be around 5. 
you’ll learn to look after your membranes probably a year after buying a 40/40 when neglecting it hits you with a big bill replacing it

400gpd system is 20 inch membrane I think? Or 3 horizontal ro filter on top of the pre filters ?

good tip is when you change pre filters figure out by what they recommend how many litres produced before changing for example 50000 litres before changing  you use 1000 a week set a reminder to change them in 50 weeks on your phone or as I saw @Pjjmention mark it on outside of of the filter housing. Probably the latter as that’s what I’ll be doing from now on ?
Remember that prefilters remove sediment and chlorine from all the waste your r/o uses. So if your carbon block filter has a service life of 50000 liters that is waste and pure combined.

If you have your r/o set at a ratio of 2 waste to 1 pure then that will reduce your prefilter change schedule. You would need to change those filters every 17 weeks using your example.

Sorry my mistake Should probably titled this ..membrane done.  Its 35 after its been through my ro before my Di. It is one of those Ro's with 3 tubes on top

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry my mistake Should probably titled this ..membrane done.  Its 35 after its been through my ro before my Di. It is one of those Ro's with 3 tubes on top
If you haven't been changing the carbon block regularly then the membranes probably need replacing.

A 450gpd r/o uses 10" prefilters.

A Fiberdyne carbon block has a service life of 38,000 liters. If you are using 1000 liters of water a week and your waste to pure ratio is 2 waste to 1 pure then you will need to change that filter approx every 12 weeks. It's much easier to fit an inline waste meter before r/o to keep a track of water use.

If you haven't been changing the carbon block regularly then the membranes probably need replacing.

A 450gpd r/o uses 10" prefilters.

A Fiberdyne carbon block has a service life of 38,000 liters. If you are using 1000 liters of water a week and your waste to pure ratio is 2 waste to 1 pure then you will need to change that filter approx every 12 weeks. It's much easier to fit an inline waste meter before r/o to keep a track of water use.
Thanks for the replies. I had been changing it fairly often , admittedly not smack on 38k. Also from reading your reply I may have been measuring the amount if water incorrectly. I had my sub meter measuring everything that went into van ? 

Thanks for the replies. I had been changing it fairly often , admittedly not smack on 38k. Also from reading your reply I may have been measuring the amount if water incorrectly. I had my sub meter measuring everything that went into van ? 
I should have also added that some carbon block filters do not have the same service life as others.

The ones I originally used to purchase for my 450gpd years back had a service life of 6000 litres. Other suppliers I've seen list a service life of 10k and others 12k.

I chose Fiberdyne filters as they have a longer service life. I hate changing prefilters.

Last edited by a moderator:
I should have also added that some carbon block filters do not have the same service life as others.

The ones I originally used to purchase for my 450gpd years back had a service life of 6000 litres. Other suppliers I've seen list a service life of 10k and others 12k.

I chose Fiberdyne filters as they have a longer service life. I hate changing prefilters.
Yeah i have been using the Fiberdyne was too as recommended by Daqua.  I think the sudden rise in tds was the resin had burned through quicker than I thought as ut was doing overtime with the poor performing Ro.  I think I will ring Daqua next week and upgrade to a 4040 system.  I'm lucky that my tap pressure is well above 90 psi, so hopefully that will be good.  

Latest Posts

Back