Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Putting Sum One In A Van

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Hi all my round is up to £2000 a ever 4

Weeks now thinking of buying a new van

And putting sumone in it I have two much Work for my self do any of you have Two vans on the road and we are going in to bin cleaning two.we are trying to billed a big business up get 4 to 5 vans on the road how you lot got any tip for me and the business side is all new to me. Im only 26 as well tip please will help thanks

Good to hear mate /emoticons/smile.png why dont u take some bad customers of ya round? Replace them with quality /emoticons/smile.png and if i was u id just stick to window cleaning /emoticons/wink.png go for 8 grand every 4 weeks /emoticons/wink.png then ull have ariund 3 vans on the road

Good luck in extending your business just be careful who you employ there some dodgy people around they can easier take work from you. It is not as easy as it sounds cost of van ,all the gear, insurance holiday pay etc

Good luck hope it all goes well for you /emoticons/smile.png , on the getting someone... go with your gut. If you are in two minds don't employ them. Over the years I've found "Loyalty" and a "can do approach" outweighs exam results.

Give them a trial 1 month or two.

I think it would be better just having 2 men from 1 van? A lot less in expenses
This works quite well, just make sure they do a proper day tho and not talk all day!

But it makes the job far more enjoyable! Especially on cold or hot days!

Having a second person in the same van means that you need a big enough tank to keep you both going all day.

I have just recently done something a long the lines, but not got a second van. Just added a 2nd trolley to my current van and added a friend of mine. One of us round the front and one round the back or if two houses are close then a house each and i also send him off to canvass the houses around current customers. At the moment he is getting a drink a day out of it, but shortly as we get more work he should be doing £120 - £150 a days worth of work, which i will give him percentage of. Hopefully one day he will have a van and a lad with him, and ill have another lad with me. And ill be looking for a percentage off all three plus what i earn myself which is a steady day doing £120 - £150

Like someone said on here it would be good if it was a family member who wasnt guna turn u over,

but a 'friend' or local lad could just work for you, after he see's how much money he is making he could get his own setup and van and steal the customers he was doing + all your customers and then you left with jack.

We've actually done something similar as my expertise was more geared towards sales than actual window cleaning. Getting the right people is key, as one bad worker can bring a round crashing down as I've found to my expense. You need to be able to trust that they'll do the job as you expect it to be done. Honesty and loyalty is sometimes hard to come by!

Now got 3 vans up and running - 2 x 2 man setup and 1 x 1 man

All cleaners paid a % of what they clean during the day which gives them incentive to work hard. Any customers that are unhappy, cleaners know that they will go back to Free of Charge if reported within 48 hours - encourages them to do quality as well as quantity.

Any customers that cancel with the cleaner - make sure you call, No.1 it's good customer service, No.2 it ensures that the cleaner is not cancelling them off to do for themselves.

Good luck with it all mate

Like someone said on here it would be good if it was a family member who wasnt guna turn u over,
but a 'friend' or local lad could just work for you, after he see's how much money he is making he could get his own setup and van and steal the customers he was doing + all your customers and then you left with jack.
Its not really that simple tho, someone isn't just going to go out and buy a pole and manage to steal your whole round and leave you with jack. Its easy to say it and talk about but not so easy to do it. If that was the case no ones round would be safe. firstly 90% of customers are not in during the day and rarely see who cleans the windows. But what they do see is who they pay, who knocks on the door and says evening window cleaner. You can employ people safely but you have to remain the face behind the business, you cant just take a back seat and let someone else become the face.

this has been on my mind ages now.

you can set a guy away grafting by himself, there is always a chance of him starting himself set of ladders bish bash bosh and he is off with your hard earned graft. or have him working with you , three man team worked well for me got thro loads of graft

no chance of him being wide and stealing your graft!!!

they are never out your site all day long.

as the guys say getting someone half decent is the task

Its not really that simple tho, someone isn't just going to go out and buy a pole and manage to steal your whole round and leave you with jack. Its easy to say it and talk about but not so easy to do it. If that was the case no ones round would be safe. firstly 90% of customers are not in during the day and rarely see who cleans the windows. But what they do see is who they pay, who knocks on the door and says evening window cleaner. You can employ people safely but you have to remain the face behind the business, you cant just take a back seat and let someone else become the face.
Course they could are you nuts? If you employ someone and they are doing a round of your customers, how hard would it be to buy a second hand wfp trolley and pole and nock on all the customers doors and tell them you are prepared to do it cheaper??

Weather your the guy they pay or not, how do you not know they think your an employee whos paid to collect money lol?!

Its not a nice thing to think about, but you have to think that way in my eyes, i no it can be done because i no i could do it if i was working for a window cleaner. Not that i would, just no if i wanted to i could tho

Hi all my round is up to £2000 a ever 4Weeks now thinking of buying a new van

And putting sumone in it I have two much Work for my self do any of you have Two vans on the road and we are going in to bin cleaning two.we are trying to billed a big business up get 4 to 5 vans on the road how you lot got any tip for me and the business side is all new to me. Im only 26 as well tip please will help thanks

Out of your turnover of £2,000 minus all business cost, and if you need any of this money for living expenses for yourself/family take this off as well. The amount of money you have left is what you have to work with to equip & pay your new staff.

Just my opinion, but with only £2,000 every 4 weeks and being to busy to cope, it sounds like you may be selling your services to cheap. Expenses come with 2 legs! I think you may need to put your prices up & source better customers to employ.

I know a few window cleaners with 1 van, who employ 1 staff member (for company, self employed do get bored working alone) a good number of them do between £6,000 - £7,000 every 4 weeks, I know of 2 local to me who do closer to £100K turnover per year.

Good luck

Richard

I'm just in the process of getting another van with wfp and setting it all up for a part time lad, 2/3 days a week.

I did this years ago and it went well but I was too young and I didn't manage things properly and after a couple of years I decided to downsize the business and sell some of it. But I've been getting lots of work so I'm going to give it another bash.

I don't want a friend or family member because work will just get awkward, I'm just going to give him a set day rate with a list of houses but the prices will NOT be on the sheet and ill tell customers not to pay nobody but me, that way he won't know any prices and won't be handling cash. It will just mean more collecting. Lets see how that will work???

what i,ve done myself two man team most of the week, monday thursday friday three man team all working out the same van

so I can check the graft,collect all the money. two reels and back pack, 1000l tank, This system is working well fluctuate dinner breaks.

The guys I have working its all there second jobs, so its gd pocket money not there main income.Some how you dont seem to be working so hard becourse we are all working together. was,int keen on getting second van at the moment

Back