Jump to content

Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.

Stiff Pole..........


willowtreecleaning

Recommended Posts

When an older telescopic pole becomes hard to use it is generally due to the presence of impacted dirt between the sections. The best remedy is to clean and flush all of this dirt out.

 

The following methods can be used in order of simplicity:

 

 

Hose pipe

1. Partially extend each section and lay the pole on the ground.

2. Direct a hose pipe up the base of the pole and allow it to fill with water until it pours out of the top.

3. After a few minutes lift the base of the pole up in the air and allow all of the water to flush out the pole.

4. Direct the hose spray around each clamp and between the sections

 

Taking Apart

1. Undo clamp levers and slide all section apart.

2. Either soak all section in a batch of warm soapy water or hose through each section.

3. Thoroughly clean all overlap areas

4. Dry the sections off and if needed replace joint-stop tape if present on the pole type.

5. Spray each section with Dry-Film PTFE spray and re-assemble.

Link to comment

All of the above, but before you ptfe it. After washing each section and drying them, get some 1200-2000 grit wet and dry, use it wet and lightly take off all the high spots and raised fibres, clean again then a good few coats of clear coat. Reassemble and welcome to your brand new pole lol

Link to comment

How many coats did you do duncs? Just blitzed mine today, got some more u pol on friday for £4.49 and some 1500 wet and dry for a quid

Then did 3 coats, with a portion of wet and dry in between. when putting it back together tonight i had to back the clamps right off because the poles just wouldnt go back on the old settings.

Link to comment

i only used one coat of there finest laquer gave it rub down with some steel wool

the clamps what was spinning gave it more coats until there was ok

sounds like you have used to much laquer keir

Link to comment

sounds like you have used to much laquer keir

 

Nope,,,,,,,,,exactly what i wanted bud, i think without realising it last year i seriously abused the pole wear-wise, i cleaned it and used gt85 every week but bit by bit the diameter of each section was reducing. Its like brand new now after this last blitz,

I gave it a couple of coats about a month ago which drastically put some life back into it along with 3 new clamps, but those new clamps were closing up fast indicating a reduction in dia.

I am a serious geek when it comes to maintenance whether it be work gear or mountain bike or motorbike lol, my grave stone will be '' here lies keir OTT fuller '' lol

Link to comment

Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.


Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Ad Blocker Detected

Please disable your ad blocker

Our forum relies on ads to pay for the servers and our time maintaining and running the forum.

Sadly running a forum like this is not free, and due to our popularity, we need servers that can handle the amount of traffic and resources our forum uses.

 

If you do not wish to see ads on our site, please consider supporting the forum with a membership subscription.

 

Accept