Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Are window cleaners still allowed to work during Coronavirus (Covid-19)?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

This thread has really disappointed me, we are all going to struggle through this and its going to cost us all in some way shape or form.

Do the moral thing stay at home and benefit from it later

Not that I disagree, bit how do you feel we are being mugged off? By mixed messages and probably very little help meaning that many will simply go back to work. 
We are being told to work by the Government and then being portrayed as uncaring if we do. I've been in business for 30+ years and usually if the person your dealing with sends ambiguous messages it usually means they are trying to pull a stroke.

This thread has really disappointed me, we are all going to struggle through this and its going to cost us all in some way shape or form.

Do the moral thing stay at home and benefit from it later
I think the fact everyone discussing it so much they know it doesn't feel right to be working. I haven't worked this week as it doesn't sit right with me. We now have zero income, but hopefully I won't kill anyone

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the fact everyone discussing it so much they know it doesn't feel right to be working. I haven't worked this week as it doesn't sit right with me. We now have zero income, but hopefully I won't kill anyone
I know chap,

Im in the same boat with 3 kids, a missus who moved jobs in jan (so can be let go at any point) and still have all the household bills and bills to keep the business afloat,

I get its not easy but its only money how would I feel if one of my kids caught it and the choice was it was only going to cost me money.

I am less at risk then shopping
I see where your coming from with this, but if you are working and shopping your more at risk. If everyone stayed just at home and went to the shop once a week the risk is minimal as they haven't been in contact with many people, if everyone works and goes to the shop the risk is multiplied exponentially.

I see where your coming from with this, but if you are working and shopping your more at risk. If everyone stayed just at home and went to the shop once a week the risk is minimal as they haven't been in contact with many people, if everyone works and goes to the shop the risk is multiplied exponentially.
I wouldn't meet anyone when working as I'd already told all customers to open all gates before I arrive and I  wouldn't be taking cash payment. Therefore the risk of me being infected and then transferring it is the same as just going shopping once a week.

If that is dangerous why the hell is the Government telling me to work?

I wouldn't meet anyone when working as I'd already told all customers to open all gates before I arrive and I  wouldn't be taking cash payment. Therefore the risk of me being infected and then transferring it is the same as just going shopping once a week.

I tried the same last week but sadly not everyone listens.

Because they want you to catch it, they are only trying to slow the virus, they are putting the economy above your life. 

totally. they want us to keep working, yet the sods are playing a double game where they want to be seen to be telling us not to, to keep them in favour of the masses. So we suffer, damned if we do damned if we dont.

I’m honestly really depressed now i’m now going to lie. The whole morality issue. Customers i have spoken to are eager for me to continue and have been very supportive. We don’t know if help is coming. I really doubt this is going to be 3 weeks and 3 weeks only. So much conflicting information and too many conflicting viewpoints from individuals and authorities. My heads in a real mess im not going to lie. Going shopping For my nan and gramps now will be nice to get outside for a bit to maybe clear my head.

Tory government has really done a job on us. First they convince the public that only essential work is acceptable. Yesterday morning the government Minister is saying everyone that can't work from home and can work whilst maintaining social distancing should carry on to keep the economy functioning. 

I fully expect any help to be unavailable for our industry as we can (in most normal cases) work in isolation. I'm happy to carry on and if the advice doesn't change and no support for lost income becomes available I will start again next week.

you watch these doctors and nurses crying and pleading for us (just watched one on GMTV) to stay at home to save lives, and then see how you feel jumping in the van.
I think you've perfectly summed up the issue we're feeling, whether it's legal or not, we're feeling intense pressure to stay home.  Looking forward to the announcement on self-employed, will be good to just get an update on what they have in mind.

They need to once and for all, make it crystal clear, no grey area so then thats it. As it is, just a joke. certainly no contact of surfaces or with people the couple im doing today, and its because they were real keen for it, after that, will wait and see but probably will be it for the next month by the look of things.

Come on guys, lets not panic.

It is what it is, we are alive at the moment. In the next 2 or 3 weeks we are going to see deaths spiral. Don't be foolish this is going to be what..12 weeks possibly  3 or 6 months of financial inconvenience out of your whole lifetime?

Lets be clear about this, YOU STAY AT HOME YOU REDUCE THE RISK OF THE VIRUS SPREADING.

Yes its legal for you to go out, and clean windows, but the risks are 100% less if you do not go out. 

Its only got to take one lapse of judgement, accepting a cup of tea for example, or a biscuit. Someone could have coughed on the outside of the cup, sneezed on the plate. They could give you cash that's contaminated with virons, you could touch something that is contaminated, there are so many variables.

Everyone is on the same boat, you are not going to become homeless, the government has done everything it can to help. 

Just focus on being safe, please its just not worth it. 

If you have customers that insist on having their windows cleaned; they don't care about you or anyone else.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just saw on tv, its likely a third of self employed will get no help. Any who hitherto honestly declared all, if they get sod all help would be morally justified in the future, not declaring all. Just my opinion and I appreciate we all differ.
That third will be celebrities and the like that will have £10,000's or £100,000's or £1,000,000's like @steve garwood ? in their bank accounts, the higher brackets are way beyond what any of us have or will have so it's only right that payouts don't go to those who don't need it and will happily spend months sitting on there arses anyway because they can afford to

I think a few of you have summed it up perfectly,  iv seen Facebook post shaming people out working, and iv had a nibble and pointed out to some people that they are most likely working out of fear and desperation , I'm worried we are going to get shafted too but I'm telling myself the long and probably short term repercussions of not supporting the self employed will cost more in lives and finance to the economy aswell , I think it would still be cheaper to help the self employed than throw us under a bus

iv stopped working from a moral point of view 

If it comes to it il take the precautions and go out to work and when I receive abuse from the e.ployed people il ask them to stand by my side (2 meters away) and apply pressure to the necessary people to support the self employed too .

For those self employed who are skint, I do understand the pressure to go and work, but for those with a few grand in the bank, I personally don’t think it would harm them to have a bit of time off. 
Totally agree, this week for me was a quieter week 4 easy days, Monday I cracked on and made a decent wedge so this week I will have lost just under 3 days work, we were due to go on short break holiday in 3 weeks time that's cancelled and refunded, so when the lock down comes in no doubt by the weekend or early next week I won't have lost much in comparison. 

You'll be rolling around in cash on your bed with all your holidays that will be cancelled for you this year ?

Totally agree, this week for me was a quieter week 4 easy days, Monday I cracked on and made a decent wedge so this week I will have lost just under 3 days work, we were due to go on short break holiday in 3 weeks time that's cancelled and refunded, so when the lock down comes in no doubt by the weekend or early next week I won't have lost much in comparison. 

You'll be rolling around in cash on your bed with all your holidays that will be cancelled for you this year ?
Ironic that, I’m supposed to be in Rome right now ?

so it's only right that payouts don't go to those who don't need it and will happily spend months sitting on there arses anyway because they can afford to
So that only applies if you're self employed and worked hard all your life. The fact I've worked 2 jobs for the past 9 years means I have enough money to sit on my @rse for months because of this I shouldn't receive anything?

Those rules don't apply to those that earned £5k a week on PAYE, but should for the self employed? Very hypocritical of the Government and people who think this way.

Back