Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Are window cleaners still allowed to work during Coronavirus (Covid-19)?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Some cleaners are working some are not.

If ones that are working get offered a new clean they know another isolation cleaner does ... Do you take it ? 
That's not even a question! Absolutely not. Anybody that does that would be an absolute scumbag.

And in the area I clean windows I'm sure there would be repercussions for that kind of behaviour.

That's not even a question! Absolutely not. Anybody that does that would be an absolute scumbag.

And in the area I clean windows I'm sure there would be repercussions for that kind of behaviour.
We've had a cleaner this year have his van firebombed three miles from me . 

It made daily record news paper up here in Scotland 

Been talking online to the cleaners all travelling in one car they have not stopped and are happy to be getting paid at every house (no collection) 

Their answer to the "not travelling in same car" is answered with we need the money ... Who doesn't I certainly do as I don't do it for love of keeping people's windows clean . 

It's people like them and that attitude that will drag this virus on longer .

Last edited by a moderator:
Not after an argument honest im really not but im struggling to understand peoples comments particularly from the people who have and I stress in my opinion done the right thing and not worked at all. 

Im reading now as time goes on and REALITY is sinking in ,the people who were staying at home are beginning to waver .

1. Im going back im basically bored itching to get out 

people are dieing the battle is far from won

2. Im undecided im toing and froing one minute im going one minute im not 

3. Im seeing other window cleaners work sod it im going .

4. If I can work to government guidelines I can work safely .

people are dieing the battle is far from won and also all this does is encourage more and more window cleaners to work and did anyone see the clown with the coffee I posted up yesterday . YOU THINK HE IS THE ONLY ONE .Encouraged by more and more going to clean.

5. If I do all the checks clean my equipment dispose gloves etc etc etc 

people are dieing the battle is far from won and honestly really !!?? Are you really doing all these checks HONESTLY ( yeah right sure you are ) , you know and I know you might start out being ultra carefull but as time goes on you slack and slack and slack .

Staying HOME makes you as near to 100% safe as you can be bar the shopping run .

Going to work is not only endangering yourself and your family but also your customers who do not totally understand ALL of the risks but of course most will be happy to see you .YOU have to THINK for them !! .

I woud love to know the data on how many window cleaners worked in Wuhan and in Italy saying im safe sod it !! .

Infact reading these forums I honestly believe we need a role reversal and the window cleaners ought to work in the NHS as they know already they cant get it and know how to deal with this situation on a ppe basis and wil l100% make sure the patients wont get it as they know all of the ppe rules .

Sorry but getting a bit lost for words at how people are very massive reminder of the old western type days of hang em high and the lynch mob mentality because this is what it is . Most on here can claim the 80% for those that don't its WTC AND UC and getting by until you get that payment its literally do that or help someone else to get the virus , its that simple and most folk are still in denial that this is real . 

As far as I see it its stay out of work til lwe the general public start gettingthe antibody test its only then that this wil lstart to swing in favour of going back .

I do think it’s getting out of hand on here now. 
The government asked all but key workers to stay home, so we did. 
Then they changed their view, and encouraged workers with safety guidelines to follow to go to work. 
That is why there is so much debate. 
some choose to go to work others don’t. Some cannot manage to buy food so they work. Others stay home and feel they are doing their bit. 
The government is now asking trade counters etc to open so those in construction can get the materials to carry on working. The economy needs to keep going. 
Hence our heads are all spinning. 

it is a terrible situation and all are struggling. 
please be kind. 
let’s chat about something uplifting now. 
Everything has been covered in this topic. 
Taking  another’s customers while a window cleaner is self isolating is disgusting. That kind of person will not prosper in the end. 
Think long and hard about your decisions. Be kind 

I will say that the more bored I get, the more I feel like starting cleaning again.

But I'm trying to remember that my decision shouldn't be based on whether I'm bored, but other big factors that are up to each of us to decide on.

Personally, I'm still off this week, might apply for UC next week (don't qualify for grant as I'm new), if I get enough help then I'll probably only start working once the lockdown measures are loosened (e.g. back to where they were before last Monday), but I'm still trying to decide on all these things.

The more I read and think about the subject the more I can see both sides of the argument.  It's a very tricky situation for all of us, and if you're anything like me then you'll hate "grey areas"!

Part of me thinks I should just decide what I'm doing now and stick to it, the other part of me thinks it's wise to see how things develop and take it from there.

Everything has been covered in this topic
Taking  another’s customers while a window cleaner is self isolating is disgusting. That kind of person will not prosper in the end. 

Well said! think we should ban covid 19 on the site ?? getting  boring 

If you want to go work GO 

If you don't stay at home 

Its not hard!

What's this I hear about 5g? ??

Im a window cleaner wfp and reading all the different views and advice on this subject was really helpful so its not boring,unless your none stop on it.Its been helpful to me and probably lots of other window cleaners who cant get the answers they want from there mrs,moms,brothers etc only window cleaners know window cleaners.I stopped working almost 2 weeks ago and told my mrs she would have to give me the keys to the piggy bank and id pit it back in June.

If the finger itches,cut off the arm.

why take the risk 

You already receive money from the government for carer’s allowance, could you claim universal credit? to top up your payment. 
To qualify your main income must be self employment. But your main income is carers allowance, You pay no tax, I can’t imagine you qualifying but I could be wrong. 

No my main income is from window cleaning at between 500 and 600 a month  and carers allowance under 275 a month. 
But you wasn’t to know this??

Slightly off topic, I get very low and depressed when I don't have normality in my life and don't get me started on my anxiety.

This week have been hell. For my own sanity I am seriously considering going back to work next week even it mean doing half a day only.

I know I am being a right hypocrite agreeing with some posters we should not be working but I dont think I can take it anymore.

Not sure why I feel the need to justify myself on here.

As far as I know the criteria is, you have a tax return for 18/19, you have traded this tax year, you intend to trade next tax year and you earn the majority of your income from being self employed.

It doesn't mention benefits in the guidance, or that you have to pay tax. Good luck 
Thanks for your help part timer but I thought it said something like you have to earn more than half of your taxable income? Or did I misread it and got it wrong?

If caring wasn’t the number one priority then would do more than 2 or 3 mornings a week. ( or did ? )

Thanks for your help part timer but I thought it said something like you have to earn more than half of your taxable income? Or did I misread it and got it wrong?

If caring wasn’t the number one priority then would do more than 2 or 3 mornings a week. ( or did ? )
Your self-employed trading profits must also be less than £50,000 and more than half of your income come from self-employment. This is determined by at least one of the following conditions being true:

having trading profits/partnership trading profits in 2018-19 of less than £50,000 and these profits constitute more than half of your total taxable income

having average trading profits in 2016-17, 2017-18, and 2018-19 of less than £50,000 and these profits constitute more than half of your average taxable income in the same period

Again there seems to be some ambiguity in the Governments guidelines. I read the last 2 paragraph above as aimed at those that have more than 1 job, There are going to be quite a few "newbie" self employed that didn't have a full tax year in that also didn't pay tax so I'm fairly certain they will get something and would think you would do so as well. I'm not an Accountant so can only give my opinion from what I read.

There also must be thousands of carers that have other jobs that will be relying on the compensation scheme and if not entitled can you not get some other benefit, apologies for not knowing what as I'm fortunate never to have needed to apply for anything like this.

I do think it’s getting out of hand on here now. 
The government asked all but key workers to stay home, so we did. 
Then they changed their view, and encouraged workers with safety guidelines to follow to go to work. 
That is why there is so much debate. 
some choose to go to work others don’t. Some cannot manage to buy food so they work. Others stay home and feel they are doing their bit. 
The government is now asking trade counters etc to open so those in construction can get the materials to carry on working. The economy needs to keep going. 
Hence our heads are all spinning. 

it is a terrible situation and all are struggling. 
please be kind. 
let’s chat about something uplifting now. 
Everything has been covered in this topic. 

Or read a different thread lol.

Not after an argument honest im really not but im struggling to understand peoples comments particularly from the people who have and I stress in my opinion done the right thing and not worked at all. 

Im reading now as time goes on and REALITY is sinking in ,the people who were staying at home are beginning to waver .

1. Im going back im basically bored itching to get out 

2. Im undecided im toing and froing one minute im going one minute im not 

3. Im seeing other window cleaners work sod it im going .

4. If I can work to government guidelines I can work safely .

people are dieing the battle is far from won and also all this does is encourage more and more window cleaners to work and did anyone see the clown with the coffee I posted up yesterday . YOU THINK HE IS THE ONLY ONE .Encouraged by more and more going to clean.

5. If I do all the checks clean my equipment dispose gloves etc etc etc 

people are dieing the battle is far from won and honestly really !!?? Are you really doing all these checks HONESTLY ( yeah right sure you are ) , you know and I know you might start out being ultra carefull but as time goes on you slack and slack and slack .

Staying HOME makes you as near to 100% safe as you can be bar the shopping run .

Going to work is not only endangering yourself and your family but also your customers who do not totally understand ALL of the risks but of course most will be happy to see you .YOU have to THINK for them !! .

I woud love to know the data on how many window cleaners worked in Wuhan and in Italy saying im safe sod it !! .

Infact reading these forums I honestly believe we need a role reversal and the window cleaners ought to work in the NHS as they know already they cant get it and know how to deal with this situation on a ppe basis and wil l100% make sure the patients wont get it as they know all of the ppe rules .

Sorry but getting a bit lost for words at how people are very massive reminder of the old western type days of hang em high and the lynch mob mentality because this is what it is . Most on here can claim the 80% for those that don't its WTC AND UC and getting by until you get that payment its literally do that or help someone else to get the virus , its that simple and most folk are still in denial that this is real . 

As far as I see it its stay out of work til lwe the general public start gettingthe antibody test its only then that this wil lstart to swing in favour of going back .
But the plumber or decorator in someone's house won't spread it because I am at home ??.

Get real.. we're all getting it eventually anyway as that is how it works.. just spreading it out over time with lockdown. 

Like a fair few have stated, I will be NOT working while we are in lock down.  I had many customers ask can i leave it and resume when this is over and its more safe.  Some customers have canx till they work again as been laid off etc.  I messaged all my customers and told them I will be going along with Gov message and not working until the update is made and then will make a further decision.  

I morally want to not work as to participate and look after my family too. You just never no what you could touch or make a mistake and you get it.  I not seen a window cleaner out in the roads I live.  Its a personal decision for everyone, but I feel we are in a situation we do not fully understand and its dangerous, so I value my families life, my life and others.  I have had a brilliant response as to stop working and customers have praised me and I would say its made them respect me more and funny enough I have 6 new customers message me and a full conny clean for when this is over form new people.  

I think in 2 weeks or just under the curve will go downwards and if we are allowed to possibly work now, then we will be given full go ahead to work as its not going up its going down....Hold on till then I would say it would give clear markers, if not well this is a complete mess.  All benefits are backdated anyway...

The only worry is for those that need money now...the uni credit help 94 pounds a week can people get that now? or are we waiting will the GOV message us? I am unclear on this part.if you claim that can you not then claim the three months 80% and have that uni credit deducted? 

Good luck everyone, be safe is best imo, hope everyone comes through ok, all the best in what ever you decided ( thanks to everyone for all the info on this post, great site for information and advice. 

Just giving you an update on how things are going since I decided to go out and work. 

I have picked up 2 new customers today, every one has been happy to see me so far. Of course I'm keeping social distance, no contact, BACS only payments. 

There are a lot of gardeners still working, and I saw one other window cleaner yesterday cleaning a pub in Staines as I was on my wraysbury-weybridge rounds. I tooted him and he waved back!!

For the ones that are not wanting me to come, I'm being very understanding and giving them the next clean for June, some have still paid me anyway, 2 so far this week out of 55 cleans so far as of this lunchtime.

Life must go on chaps, it's not as bad as your made out to believe in the media. Yes be sensible, yes keep your distance, wash your hands but I think the government is trying to make everyone a victim of this virus.

It's not to say your wrong for staying in, or right for going out. Just keep an open mind, use your head and be calm. My confidence has doubled today, and it's been great seeing everyone home, waving at me happy to see me.

I am very surprised..

The way i read into window cleaning is we are providing the community with a service, we dont need to come near customers & all this week i have carried on as normal & had a great response from 99-9% liking to have there windows cleaned weather self isolating or being cautious as government asked,i choose not to apply for grants or credit as yep like a few out there not qualify for much .I cannot sit still as i run & weight train mostly twice a day ,theres only so much you can do in the back garden.Tear me to pieces if you like every one has opinions.Every one take care & keep your distance ! 

Cleaniac - that's good for you mate, stay safe.  I however just waiting for the three weeks as I think by then the curve should be lowering and for sure it will be clear for us to go to work.  I just do not want any stigma to my business name as I did not stay home and help this.  There are so many videos online locally of people saying why is the window man out, absolute idiot.  I just do not want that and is a huge worry as these posts are getting alot of bad attention.  Maybe I worry to much but its a worry. 

We all pick and choose and that fine whatever we want to do, but lets all just be safe and wish you all well fellow window cleaners:) 

ALSO regards the self employment help, could anyone clear this up, i am a little unsure.  1) we can not claim this pay out till June and will be told by HMRC direct if we are ok to get it! No one can apply yet.  

In the meantime is there anything we can claim ? can we claim this uni credit of around 94 pounds I think? will claiming this effect the claim for the three months pay out? Do we just choose one or the other? Anyone actually claiming anything yet or getting anything? I am unsure what I can go for in terms will one block me claiming the other? Thanks if anyone has a bit more clarity on it than myself. 

Take care everyone ? 

Cleaniac - that's good for you mate, stay safe.  I however just waiting for the three weeks as I think by then the curve should be lowering and for sure it will be clear for us to go to work.  I just do not want any stigma to my business name as I did not stay home and help this.  There are so many videos online locally of people saying why is the window man out, absolute idiot.  I just do not want that and is a huge worry as these posts are getting alot of bad attention.  Maybe I worry to much but its a worry. 

We all pick and choose and that fine whatever we want to do, but lets all just be safe and wish you all well fellow window cleaners:) 

ALSO regards the self employment help, could anyone clear this up, i am a little unsure.  1) we can not claim this pay out till June and will be told by HMRC direct if we are ok to get it! No one can apply yet.  

In the meantime is there anything we can claim ? can we claim this uni credit of around 94 pounds I think? will claiming this effect the claim for the three months pay out? Do we just choose one or the other? Anyone actually claiming anything yet or getting anything? I am unsure what I can go for in terms will one block me claiming the other? Thanks if anyone has a bit more clarity on it than myself. 

Take care everyone ? 
I think that's a great move. 

Keep safe.

Back