Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Best gloves for winter

WCF

Help Support WCF:

How are the 282's? I'm thinking of trying a pair or the Skytech argon 
Good dunno if they’re worth the money though

Icetherm BLK third of the price prob nearly as good id say 

and yeah when the lining comes out the gloves it’s a right pain in the ****

Bit late to this thread, but I bought these for the first time a few weeks ago. So far, excellent. Fairly warm & not too bulky, but decent waterproof protection! They were 27.99. I’m pleased I got them and probably the best gloves I’ve used so far over the years for a all rounder.

FCEF6907-51A5-46B5-AF01-47B106719403.jpeg

807CB346-1787-4EA1-B4A0-867BD522C8B9.jpeg

Bit late to this thread, but I bought these for the first time a few weeks ago. So far, excellent. Fairly warm & not too bulky, but decent waterproof protection! They were 27.99. I’m pleased I got them and probably the best gloves I’ve used so far over the years for a all rounder.

View attachment 26301

View attachment 26302
Keep us posted on wear and tear over the next few weeks, I think you need to be wearing a pair of gloves daily for full days over about 2 months to see if they hold up, 

I'd be surprised if that could happen theses days exactly a year ago yesterday we had over 2ft of snow, yet yesterday it was 7c and nice and sunny 

Keep us posted on wear and tear over the next few weeks, I think you need to be wearing a pair of gloves daily for full days over about 2 months to see if they hold up, 

I'd be surprised if that could happen theses days exactly a year ago yesterday we had over 2ft of snow, yet yesterday it was 7c and nice and sunny 
That's cold enough to wear gloves for the soft South Coasters ?

I use Skytec Argons. At less than a fiver a pair, I view them as disposable. 

As soon as they start to smell. They go in the bin. 
 I get through about 3 pairs in winter. 
I’ve never had liner problems either. 

Been using showa282s now since November.

best gloves ever

well worth the 17.99

Still fully waterproof

hands never get cold or wet or sweat

an absolute joy to work with won’t use anything else from now on  

I’m a fan of the skytec argon but they do get damp too easily. I brought a pair of these in November and there warm enough and waterproof to boot. Wearing well and think they’ll see me through till March. There only £7.50 a pair 

C15F76D4-35BD-4FBA-A752-F9C228D750B6.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Last winter I bought loads of different gloves and the Skytec Argon didn't work for me.  I used the Showa 282 and they were not perfect but the best out of the lot.

However this winter has been totally different, the Showa's are not warm enough, I tried the Argon's again just after Christmas and I've used them everyday since.  They've worked really well and today the ground was freezing even at 13:00, so it was really cold but my hands were almost warm.  I suffer from cold hands, I wear shorts all through winter and my legs never feel it, but my hands are always a problem for me.  To get through a day like today not in agony and nearly passing out shows how good they are.

I think the Argons are good if it's cold and dry, you don't want to get them wet, as soon as they get wet they just don't work.  If it's cold rain I think the Showa's are probably the best option.

I wear nitriles underneath, just keeps them clean on the inside.  I take the Argons off when I've finished a job and I'm wiping down the sills, stops them getting too wet.

*Update - I've just noticed Tuffers saying about the Skytec Argon Extra, I didn't know they did another one.  Mine are the Skytec Argon's, looking at their website the ones I've got are for 'cold', the one's tuffers got are for 'cold, liquids', that makes sense then and confirms my experience with them.  I'll definitely get the Extra's and give them a whirl.

Last winter I bought loads of different gloves and the Skytec Argon didn't work for me.  I used the Showa 282 and they were not perfect but the best out of the lot.

However this winter has been totally different, the Showa's are not warm enough, I tried the Argon's again just after Christmas and I've used them everyday since.  They've worked really well and today the ground was freezing even at 13:00, so it was really cold but my hands were almost warm.  I suffer from cold hands, I wear shorts all through winter and my legs never feel it, but my hands are always a problem for me.  To get through a day like today not in agony and nearly passing out shows how good they are.

I think the Argons are good if it's cold and dry, you don't want to get them wet, as soon as they get wet they just don't work.  If it's cold rain I think the Showa's are probably the best option.

I wear nitriles underneath, just keeps them clean on the inside.  I take the Argons off when I've finished a job and I'm wiping down the sills, stops them getting too wet.

*Update - I've just noticed Tuffers saying about the Skytec Argon Extra, I didn't know they did another one.  Mine are the Skytec Argon's, looking at their website the ones I've got are for 'cold', the one's tuffers got are for 'cold, liquids', that makes sense then and confirms my experience with them.  I'll definitely get the Extra's and give them a whirl.
If you want warmer hands get some thermal karimoor running gloves for your base layer warmth and for waterproofing wear some british army issues 95 or mtp cold climate mittens 

I’ve used skytec, used icegherm used unger which were the most expensive . Showa 282 that haven’t been abused are the best by An absolute mile. I only use these for windows because of the cost I use others for gutters etc to preserve life of them at the price . They are fantastic . Multiple layers I’ve used dozens of types of gloves and never found anything quite like these 

I usher people to try them for there own sake these are the top dogs

anyone who doesn’t use gloves in this weather is an animal and needs a cage 

mine are pretty much still nee after 2 months 

well worth the money 

When wind chill is in the minus ? I’d rather be warm than look hard wearing shorts no gloves and short sleeves. 
fair does if you actually don’t need gloves in this around freezing temps. I really do. When I forget my gloves on the radiator my day is horrendous and I get angry awfully fast 

if I don’t have any merino wool socks to wear my day is fuxked before it starts cus my feet are gonna be Baltic 

all the gear no idea as the phrase goes 

or proper preparation prevents **** poor performance 

Trainers with trainer socks and no gloves for me at the moment. 

Only been down to -4 this week which doesn't bother me.

Trainers with trainer socks and no gloves for me at the moment. 

Only been down to -4 this week which doesn't bother me.
Ahhh, but have you got yer shorts on? lol.

Seriously though, I saw another window cleaner yesterday wearing shorts on my road, more and more workers seem to just stick with shorts.  I don't feel the cold on my legs, feet and hands are another story, don't know how you clean with no gloves.  With you on the trainers though, synthetic leather with waterproof thermal socks [35 quid a pair socks] is what I use.

Latest Posts

Back