Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Best gloves for winter

WCF

Help Support WCF:

We're different breeds us windies ? my family often complain it's cold and I never feel it. Although I accidentally knocked my pole and got sprayed in the face with water when it was -4 the other morning, that was pretty chilly.
I almost chocked on my coffee haha ...I could just pitcher it happening like a comedy skit ! ?

Ahhh, but have you got yer shorts on? lol.

Seriously though, I saw another window cleaner yesterday wearing shorts on my road, more and more workers seem to just stick with shorts.  I don't feel the cold on my legs, feet and hands are another story, don't know how you clean with no gloves.  With you on the trainers though, synthetic leather with waterproof thermal socks [35 quid a pair socks] is what I use.
No shorts lol.

Addidas material trainers.

Was trad for 24 years before going wfp so used to cold hands.

Window cleaners are a different breed. I think every one of us must have a screw missing. Who else would decide to go out in freezing temperatures all day long. It's like living in a fridge isn't it. I wear gloves to keep the shite off my hands.

BTW I'm that hard I have an ice bath when I get home ?

Window cleaners are a different breed. I think every one of us must have a screw missing. Who else would decide to go out in freezing temperatures all day long. It's like living in a fridge isn't it. I wear gloves to keep the shite off my hands.

BTW I'm that hard I have an ice bath when I get home ?
No gloves for me and just my lime green thong ????‍?

Last winter I bought loads of different gloves and the Skytec Argon didn't work for me.  I used the Showa 282 and they were not perfect but the best out of the lot.

However this winter has been totally different, the Showa's are not warm enough, I tried the Argon's again just after Christmas and I've used them everyday since.  They've worked really well and today the ground was freezing even at 13:00, so it was really cold but my hands were almost warm.  I suffer from cold hands, I wear shorts all through winter and my legs never feel it, but my hands are always a problem for me.  To get through a day like today not in agony and nearly passing out shows how good they are.

I think the Argons are good if it's cold and dry, you don't want to get them wet, as soon as they get wet they just don't work.  If it's cold rain I think the Showa's are probably the best option.

I wear nitriles underneath, just keeps them clean on the inside.  I take the Argons off when I've finished a job and I'm wiping down the sills, stops them getting too wet.

*Update - I've just noticed Tuffers saying about the Skytec Argon Extra, I didn't know they did another one.  Mine are the Skytec Argon's, looking at their website the ones I've got are for 'cold', the one's tuffers got are for 'cold, liquids', that makes sense then and confirms my experience with them.  I'll definitely get the Extra's and give them a whirl.
You've possibly got cold hands because the cold is travelling up your legs to your hands! 

Sorry if this offends, but whenever I see someone in shorts working in freezing cold weather, my immediate thought is ‘what a dildo’ ?
Me too. 
 They think they look hard, I just think they’re attention seekers, who clearly had a difficult relationship with their mothers. ??

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw a big fat post lady bending over sorting parcels in the back of her van earlier this week. Shorts on @rse hanging out. Dear god.

Last edited by a moderator:
Me too. 
 They think they look hard, I just think they’re attention seekers, who clearly had a difficult relationship with their mothers. ??
It's just easier in shorts, nothing to do with trying to look hard, if you don't feel the cold I can't see the problem.  No different to not wearing gloves, not wearing a hat etc.  It's lighter, no rubbing on your legs, no worrying about getting trousers wet and being stuck with them until they dry, no mud or other **** to get on them and best of all, they're easier to wash, fit more in the washing machine.

Loads of workers are wearing them through winter up here, posties wear them the most, it's more due to the chaffing that you get with trousers.  In our work though it's more to do with not worrying about wearing wet trousers all day, but I do find it so much easier and faster. 

Put it this way, you don't get footballers wearing trousers do you?  Do they look hard? lol.  Just look like a bunch of pansies rolling around at the slightest knock.

You've possibly got cold hands because the cold is travelling up your legs to your hands! 
This is a good point and it's something I've been meaning to research.  A bit like how a boiler works.

Possibly 2010? I never used to wear gloves when trad, you couldn't get a feel for the blade. I remember touching the ladders and my hands almost sticking to the metal.
I remember being out all night driving a gritter for a mate gritting sainsbury's and royal mail car parks and having to dump my last half tonne on the south mimms slip road on the a1m at 2am as the police were struggling to get cars up the hill.

Then went to work tradding all day.

Horrible weather.

Latest Posts

Back