Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Can i put a 400 litre tank in a van with max payload of 600 kg

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Pushing it with ladder hose reel and poles etc.

If its an option I'd go 250 tank and store water in an ibc.

Had same problem 20 years ago same van went through few springs snapping

In simple terms NO.
400lts = 400kg, 30kg for tank and mounting, 25kg for battery, 15kg for reel, 85kg for you, 45kg for fuel = 600kg so no poles or spares, definitely no passenger. That's assuming you are 85kg.

Myself & @Part Timer discussed this years ago when I got my new van. I’ve found the conversation and will put what I discovered at the time:

‘[Payload of my van is] advertised at 980kg, the DVLA have it as 1015kg, but when I subtracted the weight I got from the weigh bridge (1800kg) from the GVW (Gross Vehicle Weight) I only got 810kg (this included me, at 100kg).’

This was weighed with a bulkhead, ply lining & a full tank.

EDIT: I’m 90kg now by the way ?

Myself & @Part Timer discussed this years ago when I got my new van. I’ve found the conversation and will put what I discovered at the time:

‘[Payload of my van is] advertised at 980kg, the DVLA have it as 1015kg, but when I subtracted the weight I got from the weigh bridge (1800kg) from the GVW (Gross Vehicle Weight) I only got 810kg (this included me, at 100kg).’

This was weighed with a bulkhead, ply lining & a full tank.
My van, Fiat Ducato, has a payload of 1680 kgs I think. Put it over a weighbridge with a full 800 litre tank, twin stack electric reels and was only 200 kgs below it's maximum weight.
I very much doubt any van,upto 3.5t can carry a 1000l tank

I used to have a vivaro van and my ocd at that time was to always have 1000 litres in the tank at any point. And I wondered why I went through 3 clutches in 4 years. In fairness was only ever the master cylinder which was in the gearbox but I'm guessing that was the weak part. From this lesson i decided to have an ibc tank at home ready to fill up the van when needed. Main perk to this forum is learning from people's mistakes

Be careful on the years. Vauxhall Combo was same as Fiat Doblo and some had high payload of around 1000kg (I think it's the LWB 1.6D). But in 2019 Vauxhall Combo is same as Peugeot Partner, Citroen Berlingo and Toyota Proace City they all have a load capacity if over 1000kg I think.
Remember that the older Citroen Berlingo is the same as the Peugeot Partner, they do 2 load versions about 625kg and 850kg. Get the highest load capacity you can.
I have a 2019 Peugeot Partner (1050kg payload) with a 400lts upright tank and it is just big enough for my kit but I think I will have difficulty getting a decent pressure washer in as I have an electric reel which takes up a fair bit of space. I didn't really intend to do gutter emptying but now I have started it's quite lucrative and has been a fairly easy sell to my existing customers.

One the one hand a bigger van is good to enable you to expand into addons but uses more fuel and can be more difficult to park.

Be careful on the years. Vauxhall Combo was same as Fiat Doblo and some had high payload of around 1000kg (I think it's the LWB 1.6D). But in 2019 Vauxhall Combo is same as Peugeot Partner, Citroen Berlingo and Toyota Proace City they all have a load capacity if over 1000kg I think.
Remember that the older Citroen Berlingo is the same as the Peugeot Partner, they do 2 load versions about 625kg and 850kg. Get the highest load capacity you can.
I have a 2019 Peugeot Partner (1050kg payload) with a 400lts upright tank and it is just big enough for my kit but I think I will have difficulty getting a decent pressure washer in as I have an electric reel which takes up a fair bit of space. I didn't really intend to do gutter emptying but now I have started it's quite lucrative and has been a fairly easy sell to my existing customers.

One the one hand a bigger van is good to enable you to expand into addons but uses more fuel and can be more difficult to park.
Very good points made, it all depends on what someone wants to do regarding add on's or not do like me,

It's possible to upgrade the rear springs for around £400 I believe as I'm on Fb group for modified Berlingos and that's what some have done one lad is a window cleaner using barrels and he opted for an L2 Berlingo which has the longer load bed but it's an add on which some say is just like an extra bit welded to the back it doesn't do wonders for the handling and he had to upgrade the springs to ones which allowed for a the higher payload of 850kg.

If @James102 you're looking at older model vans ten usually Ford vans have a higher payload surprisingly so do the newer vans as standard Best small vans for payload 2023 I have a Berlingo with a 650 payload and have a 425ltr tank in mine I don't do add on's so don't carry an extra's I reckon I'm 50kg under the max payload but I plan on up-rating the rear springs at some point in the future.

My old combo had a payload of 650kg I had 350ltr purefreedom system in the back, the cage and battery was lot heavier than my current setup and I went through 3 sets of rear springs over the years, I had no idea I could change the springs for ones with a higher payload until recently.

Very good points made, it all depends on what someone wants to do regarding add on's or not do like me,

It's possible to upgrade the rear springs for around £400 I believe as I'm on Fb group for modified Berlingos and that's what some have done one lad is a window cleaner using barrels and he opted for an L2 Berlingo which has the longer load bed but it's an add on which some say is just like an extra bit welded to the back it doesn't do wonders for the handling and he had to upgrade the springs to ones which allowed for a the higher payload of 850kg.

If @James102 you're looking at older model vans ten usually Ford vans have a higher payload surprisingly so do the newer vans as standard Best small vans for payload 2023 I have a Berlingo with a 650 payload and have a 425ltr tank in mine I don't do add on's so don't carry an extra's I reckon I'm 50kg under the max payload but I plan on up-rating the rear springs at some point in the future.

My old combo had a payload of 650kg I had 350ltr purefreedom system in the back, the cage and battery was lot heavier than my current setup and I went through 3 sets of rear springs over the years, I had no idea I could change the springs for ones with a higher payload until recently.
I'm trying to find a van but not much luck with the payload n my budget is 3k so struggling to find one I found ones with 600 kg but been advised against it like I literally just use a pole motorcycle battery pump n controller and small step ladders n I wigh 13 stone so I would of thought it be under the limit with a 400 litre tank

I'm trying to find a van but not much luck with the payload n my budget is 3k so struggling to find one I found ones with 600 kg but been advised against it like I literally just use a pole motorcycle battery pump n controller and small step ladders n I wigh 13 stone so I would of thought it be under the limit with a 400 litre tank
You'll not have much luck with some for wanting to rip people off no way on earth the price some vans are been sold for is an absolute joke, because the book price on these vans is a fraction of what some are trying to sell theirs for.

I sold my old van a few weeks ago fully kitted out for a fair price, the book price on mine was £1,500 there are people trying to get £1,000's more which is why they ain't selling from what I've seen

I use a fiat fiorino, same as the peugeot bipper, 350l tank, 2 poles battery and reel, I probably put 300l in at a time and seems fine doesn't sink on rear axle, advertised payload is 610kg.

I think you are fine to proceed.
The biggest problem with overloading is the vehicle body is sitting on the axles, making it uncomfortable over bumps. Put extra strength springs in the vehicle.
See Link: Reinforced coil springs
Get the tank in the van - get out window cleaning - gather up some funds and then upgrade the van if you need at a later date.
The water level will decrease throughout the day as you clean so after 4 houses you will be 150kg-200kg less heavy.
There will be more wear and tear on the clutch but take it easy and you will be fine.
We sell water to other window cleaning companies and most of the vans are way overloaded when they leave the yard.
We have a Ford Transit Custom as one of our vans and we put extra strength spring leafs in the back as it is loaded heavy going out each day.- amazing good difference. See Portlaois Springs Ireland.

The biggest problem with overloading is the vehicle body is sitting on the axles, making it uncomfortable over bumps. Put extra strength springs in the vehicle.
Get the tank in the van - get out window cleaning - gather up some funds and then upgrade the van if you need at a later date.
The water level will decrease throughout the day as you clean so after 4 houses you will be 150kg-200kg less heavy.
There will be more wear and tear on the clutch but take it easy and you will be fine.
We sell water to other window cleaning companies and most of the vans are way overloaded when they leave the yard.
We have a Ford Transit Custom as one of our vans and we put extra strength spring leafs in the back as it is loaded heavy going out each day.- amazing good difference. See Portlaois Springs IreIreland
I'm very sorry but I can't believe you have actually posted what you have. So by your way of thinking it is absolutely OK to overload your van because within a few hours of driving illegally, and therefore without insurance, it is OK as within a couple of hours you will have used enough water to be within your legal payload????

We have a Ford Transit Custom as one of our vans and we put extra strength spring leafs in the back as it is loaded heavy going out each day.- amazing good difference. See Portlaois Springs Ireland.
No specs or anything stating their compatibility with any vehicle.

I can’t believe Base you are saying it’s ok? No way what about if a accident happens something breaks or puncture because he is over weight total disregard for other road users the law is for a reason SAFETY

He is advising people to upgrade their springs so their overloaded vehicle doesn't look overloaded
I didn't read it like that ? defo don't want to overload a van, upgrade the springs by all means if it's close to the max payload nothing wrong with that but defo never overload any vehicle because the springs the uprated springs won't save anything else going wrong and potentially someone having a fatal accident

Back