Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Carrying Poles Externally

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Morning All,

Does anyone know of a product to carry the WFPs on the roof of the van? My van is too small to buy a internal carrier. I currently load the poles at a angle, which works, but looking at buying a Extreme 50 to replace the SLX 47 and the collapsed length is longer. The SLX only just fits at the moment. 

I know some use pvc piping but my worried would be keeping it secured, so something lockable would be better. 

Many thanks for the help. 

A friend of mine bolted two of these tool holders you usually have in your shed for rakes and such, to his roof rack. The rubber on them holds the poles fine for short driving between jobs, but I do believe he puts them inside his car when driving faster.

I 3D printed some holders for my unger poles when I had a car, they worked perfectly fine.

surely a pipe carrier as used by plumbers would be ideal? made by van vault/ rhino etc

you'd have to take the brush off to get it in, or possibly the gooseneck too...

surely a pipe carrier as used by plumbers would be ideal? made by van vault/ rhino etc
One of my mates uses the rhino one. He leaves the brush on and covers it whilst driving with a bag. Not sure what he uses to secure it though.

Morning All,

Does anyone know of a product to carry the WFPs on the roof of the van? My van is too small to buy a internal carrier. I currently load the poles at a angle, which works, but looking at buying a Extreme 50 to replace the SLX 47 and the collapsed length is longer. The SLX only just fits at the moment. 

I know some use pvc piping but my worried would be keeping it secured, so something lockable would be better. 

Many thanks for the help. 

Not being funny but better to invest in a big van. I used to have small roof vans and I kept bumping my head when inside. I bought a van that I can stand up in and have never bumped my head again. Checkatrade has a £6.5k discount on a new sprinter. If I stay this busy I maybe investing in one.

Why not split the pole into 2 sections, 25 foot each and assemble on site. I am guessing this is for flats or commercial. It would only take 2 mins to assemble and would reduce the closed length in your van.

Rhino boxes lock with a padlock

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

One of my mates uses the rhino one. He leaves the brush on and covers it whilst driving with a bag. Not sure what he uses to secure it though.
Thanks guys, I’ll have a look at these. However, if I need to take the brush off then there’s I point, as I can’t get the pole in if I take the brush off. 

Not being funny but better to invest in a big van. I used to have small roof vans and I kept bumping my head when inside. I bought a van that I can stand up in and have never bumped my head again. Checkatrade has a £6.5k discount on a new sprinter. If I stay this busy I maybe investing in one.
Hahaha, not a option. Plus the small van is perfect for me, I can park in tight spaces!

Cut a hole in the van bulkhead (using a holesaw or similar) so the bottom of your WFP goes through into the cab.
You know what, I’ve heard this before. I will look into it, thanks! I’m terrible at DIY but got family that are Jack of all trade types. ?

Why not split the pole into 2 sections, 25 foot each and assemble on site. I am guessing this is for flats or commercial. It would only take 2 mins to assemble and would reduce the closed length in your van.
Yeah that is a option. If I take the brush off it should fit. It was just to avoid the extra work but might be necessary. 

I sold the Rhino tube things that came with my first van on eBay. The lad who came to collect them was a window cleaner using a bipper (or similar) Seemed like a ball ache to me getting the pole in and out each time.
Ohh really? I’ll have a look into it but if I really need to take the brush off then there’s not much point.  

Thanks all for your replies! ?

Years ago there was a thread on a DIY forum where a windie modified a tube carrier for his pole.

Here is a link to a lockable tube carrier that will help me to explain what he did.

https://www.vantidy.co.uk/products/autorack-hdpe-electrical-conduit-capping-pipe-tube-carrier-1

You will see that this tube carrier has a lockable front flap which is hinged at the top and the bracket facilitates a padlock at the bottom.

His pole had an angle adaptor with his brush head attached. The telescopic pole and pole hose would be inside the carrier and his brush would be outside the carrier. His brush angle adaptor would be at an angle which he would have to change before he put the pole away.

If you focus on the orientation of the tube holder in the photo, this windie cut a slot in the side of the carrier wide enough to accommodate the diamt of his angle adaptor. The slot was cut at the 3 of 3 oclock. The slot wasn't very long; it just had to be long enough for the windie to push is pole into the carrier and form him to close and lock the flap.

He then turned the carrier around by 90 degrees so this slot was at the bottom. Mounted on his roof rack gave him sufficient height clearance so his protuding brush head didn't prevent him from opening his rear doors.

I dear say you could do the same which a square Rhino tube carrier although you would have to take the hinged bracket of the lockable flap into consideration. The other thing would if the hinge pins of the flap. Do they protude into the carrier. If they do then they could damage the pole. You would also need some protection around the bare edges of the slot you cut to save the pole from damage. A small diameter plastic hose slit down one side would probably work if glued into place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did a length of 4 inch drain pipe when I first started and a bungee back to roof rack to stop it flying out under braking. Downside was that I had to wind hose up and push it in the tube. A van is the way to go.

Sent from my iPad using Window Cleaning Forums

Years ago there was a thread on a DIY forum where a windie modified a tube carrier for his pole.

Here is a link to a lockable tube carrier that will help me to explain what he did.

https://www.vantidy.co.uk/products/autorack-hdpe-electrical-conduit-capping-pipe-tube-carrier-1

You will see that this tube carrier has a lockable front flap which is hinged at the top and the bracket facilitates a padlock at the bottom.

His pole had an angle adaptor with his brush head attached. The telescopic pole and pole hose would be inside the carrier and his brush would be outside the carrier. His brush angle adaptor would be at an angle which he would have to change before he put the pole away.

If you focus on the orientation of the tube holder in the photo, this windie cut a slot in the side of the carrier wide enough to accommodate the diamt of his angle adaptor. The slot was cut at the 3 of 3 oclock. The slot wasn't very long; it just had to be long enough for the windie to push is pole into the carrier and form him to close and lock the flap.

He then turned the carrier around by 90 degrees so this slot was at the bottom. Mounted on his roof rack gave him sufficient height clearance so his protuding brush head didn't prevent him from opening his rear doors.

I dear say you could do the same which a square Rhino tube carrier although you would have to take the hinged bracket of the lockable flap into consideration. The other thing would if the hinge pins of the flap. Do they protude into the carrier. If they do then they could damage the pole. You would also need some protection around the bare edges of the slot you cut to save the pole from damage. A small diameter plastic hose slit down one side would probably work if glued into place.

Thanks for this. Sounds like a interesting idea but it would depend on how long it would like to remove and insert pole on each job. I think I’m going either cut the bulk head or just remove the brush when putting the pole in the van. I will keep this in mind though, I haven’t decided yet. ?

Did a length of 4 inch drain pipe when I first started and a bungee back to roof rack to stop it flying out under braking. Downside was that I had to wind hose up and push it in the tube. A van is the way to go.

Sent from my iPad using Window Cleaning Forums
Got a van it’s just not big enough to carry a pole length ways. Apart from that I love the thing!

Last edited by a moderator:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Latest Posts

Back