Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Employee nightmare

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Unfortunately I live in a pretty wealthy area, we struggle to find anyone to do anything for £100 a day.

Round here most people would rip your arm off for £100 a day, thats a good wage for an employee, especially for just cleaning windows.

I dont need to pay anywhere near that.

I suppose you are talking about a sub contractor though?

Round here most people would rip your arm off for £100 a day, thats a good wage for an employee, especially for just cleaning windows.

I dont need to pay anywhere near that.

I suppose you are talking about a sub contractor though?
I’m guessing he is, because if you’re on £100 a day employed (tax payed & 4 weeks holiday, sick pay) then that’s pretty good. A few people I know in average office, admin & sales job, unless they’re in a stressful managers position doing 50hr weeks then they average out £90/£100 a day on salary (and that it’s Bournemouth a fairly expensive & affluent area)

A plumber I know, my age, who just decided to go self employed last year was employed by a medium size (5/6 vans on the road & admin girls) plumbing company in Bournemouth.

His salary worked out at £120 a day, doing 8:30-5:00 Monday to Thursday then finishing at 4:00 on a Friday.

£120a day, after:  going to college for 2-3 years, starting off on low pay, and a lot more responsibility & stress as a plumber. 

A plumber I know, my age, who just decided to go self employed last year was employed by a medium size (5/6 vans on the road & admin girls) plumbing company in Bournemouth.

His salary worked out at £120 a day, doing 8:30-5:00 Monday to Thursday then finishing at 4:00 on a Friday.

£120a day, after:  going to college for 2-3 years, starting off on low pay, and a lot more responsibility & stress as a plumber. 

We will always need plumbers, a good one is worth his weight in gold because most plumbers don't want to be plumbers I have found out. They get fed up with the c***

You can get a kid to sit in with you for £100 a day, but if you want one that drives and can go round on his own you have to pay more. delivery drivers get more than that. Any mong can labour on a building site for £120-£130 a day so theyre not going to clean windows for less.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can get a kid to sit in with you for £100 a day, but if you want one that drives and can go round on his own you have to pay more. delivery drivers get more than that. Any mong can labour on a building site for £120-£130 a day so theyre not going to clean windows for less.
Ah ok, yeh in separate vans yeh. £120-£160 maybe, depending on how much they do. I thought we were talking about same van sorry 

Ah ok, yeh in separate vans yeh. £120-£160 maybe, depending on how much they do. I thought we were talking about same van sorry 
Employing people I find is a real struggle, it's fine in the summer as the evenings are long and they can earn good money from full days but when the winters come and it gets cold and the working day is short that's when its hard.

If you’re proving the van and expenses etc, then if the lad gets fast & good enough to do £250 a day in 8hrs, then taking £80/£120 for yourself then paying him £130-£170 a day seems reasonable. 

*providing

Back