Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Is there a better more efficient method?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

PR Cleaning Solutions

Hi guys, I’ve been cleaning gutters now for 3 years and my method has always been mix tfr into a pressure sprayer 15-20:1 with water, spray all the gutter, fascia & soffit, window, frame(1 section at a time) then scrub it all with a water fed pole brush and then rinse down with a hose and then rewash the glass with purified water at the end.

90% of the time gutters are like new etc, but I’m finding lately on some older houses after this method some of the dirt isn’t coming off, it seems stained onto the pvc and it’s very unsatisfying.

Even with frames, it gets off all the heavy dirt, but I notice afterwards I can scrub the pvc with my glove and the stained grey comes off, but it’s not efficient to go scrubbing every frame by hand!

Also id like to get jobs done quicker, are there better methods for better results and also efficient?

A buddy of mine says he dips the brush into a bucket of tfr and then just scrubs with water supply going to the gutter at the same time.

Is there a better chemical than tfr?
Should I be using a pressure sprayer?
Is my method the best?

I want to be the best in the business!

Thanks guys

Philip
PR Cleaning Solutions

I think what you are experiencing is the surface of the plastic turning grey because it hasn’t been cleaned for so long , the best way to remove this we have found is to use a weak bleach ( sodium hypochlorite) mix 5-7 parts water to 1 part bleach ,spray on leave for a few muinits scrub with WFP rinse job done usually it comes up like new , once you are used to doing this you can use a stronger mix for quicker results but if not careful you can turn white plastic yellow it will however go back to white within a couple of hours .

You are probably coming across tiger stripes and as far as I know the only way to get them off is by hand,
No definitely not tiger stripes, I know them, this is like dirt that won’t come off, like in the pictures

Attachments

• 3B22AF36-6F99-451C-BF10-70CAEEC1C617.jpeg
    3B22AF36-6F99-451C-BF10-70CAEEC1C617.jpeg
    45.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 103FF6F5-FB5E-49DD-9DE0-368DE9FED1ED.jpeg
    103FF6F5-FB5E-49DD-9DE0-368DE9FED1ED.jpeg
    51.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 5A6AA09B-B968-4181-ABA8-F99CE7F8B2D6.jpeg
    5A6AA09B-B968-4181-ABA8-F99CE7F8B2D6.jpeg
    47.9 KB · Views: 30
I use 2 ladders, 2 ladder limbs and 2 buckets. One for the dirt out of the gutter and the other with hot water, degreaser and 3 scrub pads. Once I have cleaned the FSG then I dry with a blue cloth and move on over to other ladder. Move ladders a few times and then move round to the other side and do the same. Takes a few hours and customers are always very happy.

I use screwfix degreaser when doing fascias / soffits. I ask the customer to half fill a bucket with as hot water as possible and then add the degreaser to the hot water. Heat produces a chemical reaction, the hotter you get the mix the more of a chemical reaction you get which I find makes the degreaser work better. I just dip the brush in the bucket and then apply it, I then leave it to soak for a few minutes.

I find it works very well but it's not 100% perfect. To get it 100% like new I'd have to do it by hand with the pink stuff remover and a magic sponge, after that I'd be looking at using a pvc polish to put the shine back on it.

But for me the above is too much time and effort and I don't climb ladders anyway, but if I did it would have to be double what I charge for the brush and degreaser method. Expensive but they would look like new.

I use screwfix degreaser when doing fascias / soffits. I ask the customer to half fill a bucket with as hot water as possible and then add the degreaser to the hot water. Heat produces a chemical reaction, the hotter you get the mix the more of a chemical reaction you get which I find makes the degreaser work better. I just dip the brush in the bucket and then apply it, I then leave it to soak for a few minutes.

I find it works very well but it's not 100% perfect. To get it 100% like new I'd have to do it by hand with the pink stuff remover and a magic sponge, after that I'd be looking at using a pvc polish to put the shine back on it.

But for me the above is too much time and effort and I don't climb ladders anyway, but if I did it would have to be double what I charge for the brush and degreaser method. Expensive but they would look like new.
Thanks everyone for the replies, from what it seems, the standard I’m doing is good enough, to be fair most the dirt is coming off, it’s literally only 1 house in every 10 or 20 I find is extra stained but even at that you have to look for it to notice, I just wanted to verify what my method I was doing was good enough, I agree that it’s not efficient to be going up by hand, takes too long and can’t make good money going around a big detached house by hand scrubbing! Thanks again all

Thanks everyone for the replies, from what it seems, the standard I’m doing is good enough, to be fair most the dirt is coming off, it’s literally only 1 house in every 10 or 20 I find is extra stained but even at that you have to look for it to notice, I just wanted to verify what my method I was doing was good enough, I agree that it’s not efficient to be going up by hand, takes too long and can’t make good money going around a big detached house by hand scrubbing! Thanks again all
I used to use wfp and now have reverted back to using the ladders. I can't get the result I want by using the wfp and I can clear out the gutter at the same time. It works for me.

I find it weird, but if I can't get a mark of with the pole I generally can't get it off by hand. Using either a custom mix of solvent and cream clenser, or our new solvent free solution, with washing up liquides and pink stuff we can just about get everything off other than rust and the black hard water stains where it's been dripping from down pipe elbows.

That said moving to the flocked brush made a big difference in cleaning with pole

I find it weird, but if I can't get a mark of with the pole I generally can't get it off by hand. Using either a custom mix of solvent and cream clenser, or our new solvent free solution, with washing up liquides and pink stuff we can just about get everything off other than rust and the black hard water stains where it's been dripping from down pipe elbows.

That said moving to the flocked brush made a big difference in cleaning with pole
I like to clear out gutter when I'm cleaning FSG so it's a complete job. I am up there anyway so the customer has nothing to worry about. I even take a look at their roof to see if any tiles or slates missing. Today I bought a Werner Step Ladder from Screwfix (£85). I have the add on box that fits into the top step for holding tools and gutter brackets. I have a job to replace the square gutters with deep flow round gutters and clean the pvc before I fit the new gutter. The link is below.

Latest Posts

Back