Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Just glass or frames and sills aswell?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

SlySquid

Headline pretty much says it all, but I currently clean all frames and sills along with the glass. It can be a pain in the ass and takes ages, especially on a first clean. Does anyone just clean the glass anymore or are most giving frames and sills a good scrub too?

With wfp clean glass, frames and sills.

First cleans will take 2 to 3 times as long as maintenance cleans. Some people charge more for first cleans to cover the extra time and stop messers who just want a one off.

As @ched999uk says, always glass, frames and sills. I usualy add between £10 and 50% (yep, i know, weird measurements!) to a first clean to cover the extra that will be needed first time out. If you're WFP it probably takes you longer to do just glass with the time spent trying to avoid hitting the frames and sills :ROFLMAO: with traditional it can be faster. But dirty frames means not only dirty looking windows for onlookers, but a much higher chance the window will get dirty as soon as it rains. Which then has the knock on effect that if the forecast is rain, people are going to ask you to skip the clean. So doing "everything" is much better in the long run!
My experience of this: I bought a round from someone who was 50/50 WFP and trad and NEVER cleaned frames or sills. When I was struggling to find a house on the map he had sent, i just looked for the ones that looked the dirtiest on all the street, and was usually the correct house!

Once they are up to a clean standard I don't find it takes any more time to do frames and cills. I watch a other window cleaner just doing glass and it took them longer than me because they had to be so carful not to touch the frame.

I can just be quick and get in to the corners and not worry about getting frame too as it's clean.

I can't imagine not doing frames glass would be so hard to clean when frames where dirty

Once they are up to a clean standard I don't find it takes any more time to do frames and cills. I watch a other window cleaner just doing glass and it took them longer than me because they had to be so carful not to touch the frame.

I can just be quick and get in to the corners and not worry about getting frame too as it's clean.

I can't imagine not doing frames glass would be so hard to clean when frames where dirty
I agree we are charging the customers to clean their windows not just the glass

When the EU was first conceived one of the tasks was to ensure that when an object was spoken about every member knew exactly what was being referred to.
In the EU a window was defined as the frame, the sill, the glass, the mechanism to lock and unlock the window and the hinges. So according to the EU which Britain was a member of, a window cleaner is someone who cleans everything. I doubt Britain will change that description.

When the EU was first conceived one of the tasks was to ensure that when an object was spoken about every member knew exactly what was being referred to.
In the EU a window was defined as the frame, the sill, the glass, the mechanism to lock and unlock the window and the hinges. So according to the EU which Britain was a member of, a window cleaner is someone who cleans everything. I doubt Britain will change that description.
It will be interesting to see what happens now that the Brexit train is in motion.

My inlaws have their 3 bed end terraced house cleaned by a wfper he charges £4 glass only or £6 with the frames :ROFLMAO: I was shocked by the price as much as I was that he didn't clean the frames as standard

My inlaws have their 3 bed end terraced house cleaned by a wfper he charges £4 glass only or £6 with the frames :ROFLMAO: I was shocked by the price as much as I was that he didn't clean the frames as standard
We used to have holiday flats in a 3 story Victorian semi in Blackpool. At first we had trad cleaners using ladders then they told us they could no longer continue with ladders as they had a visit from H&S - they did walk on ledges and top of bays!! So they switched to wfp, they then stopped coming and we found another windy. Both wfp windys just did the glass. We never even thought they were capable of doing the frames and sills!!

It was only after we sold up, moved to our bungalow and I decided to become a windy that I found out that wfp could clean the frames and sills!!! ?

We used to have holiday flats in a 3 story Victorian semi in Blackpool. At first we had trad cleaners using ladders then they told us they could no longer continue with ladders as they had a visit from H&S - they did walk on ledges and top of bays!! So they switched to wfp, they then stopped coming and we found another windy. Both wfp windys just did the glass. We never even thought they were capable of doing the frames and sills!!

It was only after we sold up, moved to our bungalow and I decided to become a windy that I found out that wfp could clean the frames and sills!!! ?
Jeff Brimble, The Electric Window Cleaner, was a moderator on Peter Fogwills forum at one time. He was from Wales. We nick named him Thimble Brimble as he could clean a window with a 'thimble' full of water. He only wfp'ed the glass, never cleaned the frames. He harvested rainwater to clean windows.
One of the last posts he wrote that I read was that he had fitted a 100 litre hot water emersion tank into the back of his Multispace so he could work with hot water. That lasted him all day.

I don't know of his current status.

Clean the full window unit, all frames and sills.

Its more easier doing the above than just the glass what if u clean the glass and then get your jets on the dirty frames just above? Sounds like more headache doing glass only

I'm quite lazy, so winter- just glass , (sills if dirty). Rest of the year- glass and sills.
Frames occasionally as and when they look like they need it.

Unless the customer asks for frames each time, of course I'll do it.

Back