Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Just started and been asked to quote by the company I work for as my main job

WCF

Help Support WCF:

ashley1337

Started just over a week ago, dropped my business card on the HR managers desk and he’s got me in this morning for a quote but I have no idea what to charge!

Before covid they had a weekly cleaner, but haven’t had one since, asked for me to do it first and go from there but can’t think Howmuch to charge, biggest I’ve done is a 3 bed semi lol. Any ideas please ?

Attachments

• CFFEAC40-BFB8-41D7-B927-335C1E585E66.jpeg
    CFFEAC40-BFB8-41D7-B927-335C1E585E66.jpeg
    113.3 KB · Views: 45
  • E70F6DFD-37C9-4BA9-9A82-D8023AF31F08.jpeg
    E70F6DFD-37C9-4BA9-9A82-D8023AF31F08.jpeg
    173.3 KB · Views: 45
  • A1D64C75-E58B-43EC-BF4F-3C41A9E896B2.jpeg
    A1D64C75-E58B-43EC-BF4F-3C41A9E896B2.jpeg
    167.5 KB · Views: 43
  • FC61D7C9-2796-43CC-9AC1-739B90B4625A.jpeg
    FC61D7C9-2796-43CC-9AC1-739B90B4625A.jpeg
    160.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 8E399F36-3422-4AB1-82DE-1A1EEA7DB959.jpeg
    8E399F36-3422-4AB1-82DE-1A1EEA7DB959.jpeg
    115.5 KB · Views: 44
Also wants the frames sills etc doing too not just glass
Which is what you will do anyway.

Many years ago, we were asked to quote our local Primary and High school. This was the biggest job we had ever undertaken. I divided the buildings into sections on paper and tried to imagine how long each section would take us. Then I added all the timed sections together to get an expected cleaning time. I then added a bit for things I didn't foresee. (For example, you may have to spend time looking for someone to raise those shutters. Expect that lorry to be parked closer to the gates and blocking easy access to those windows. How are you going to clean those windows above that flat roof? etc. Specify which windows you will clean and the ones you can't, ie. those windows in the roof of the workshop.) Then multiply that by your hourly rate.

Don't get greedy as the first few cleans are going to take you longer, but do take a realistic approach. Do put an Estimate in writing, detailing what you will clean and how you will clean it. Don't be surprised if they ask you for a RAMS document where you identify hazards in writing and what safe working procedures you will employ to reduce those risks.

OK so you have just started so something this big is just a few houses all together nothing to worry about. As Spruce said, break it down into smaller chunks as if it where a few houses. That will give you a rough idea how long it will take you, then use your hourly rate to get to a price with a bit extra to cover potential issues and the fact that you will probably have to invoice and wait to be paid - don't forget to put your payment terms on your quote - including interest charges for late payment! Remember that as you have just started you will probably be slow to ensure you do a good job but you will, over time, speed up. So your hourly rate will improve over time plus as time goes on and you gain more customers you will have less time ;) .

Don't be afraid of saying I can't do x window and state which ones you are not including in your quote.

Don't be greedy but also don't under price it badly as you will be kicking yourself. It will be a learning experience.

It's nice that HR are giving you the opportunity to quote, they must think you where a good, trustworthy employee. Well done for giving them a card.

Good Luck and let us know how you get on.

Just ask Accounts what they paid before, once you're up to speed that's probably around an hours job, maximum 1 and a half. Just get them to clarify if they're expecting you to do all the white plastic under the windows, if they are then I'd personally allow 1.5 - 2 hours for the job.
They do want all the plastics doing too. I've sent them a quote now anyways and put that if they want a regular clean, the price will be reduced rather than the price for a one off. Hopefully they get back to me soon, Its not as easy as ringing the accountants, its a huge company, have offices all-over the country and wouldnt tell me anything if I rang haha.

Back