Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

mb151 v mb115

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Beeejayteee

Hi I recently read that mb-151 lasts a lot longer than mb-115 resin. I live in a good quality water region, average 50ppm. Any advice?

Many years ago someone asked Doug Atkinson what the difference was between Tulsion MB111 and MB115.

This was his answer:

It’s one of those things that does intrigue me. One customer buys in bulk MB-111 as finds this works better with him and the difference between 115 is the cation resin which is of lower grade but has a lower exchange capacity.

As you are aware water structure can change so the balance of anions and cations could also change. MB-115 is a ratio of 1.5 with the anion side more loaded. If you water structure was 1.3/5 anion loaded then both resins would deplete the same time. If all of a sudden you had an imbalance and water became 1/1 then the cation would deplete first.

Cation ions are most common to cause spotting as they are minerals like calcium, lead etc.. which I know are high in water in Scotland as you can tell where people have their hose tap's by the kitchen windows you will see the windows etched with hard water stains.

If there was an instrument on the market that could tell you what content your water is then you would be onto a winner as you could have the right mix. I have been trying some mixes and have been surprised at some results.

Looking at the specs on Vyair's website their specs would indicate that MB151 has a different balance of anions and cations to MB115, similar to MB111.

So resin longevity is really down to the composition of your water and not the exaggerated claims of this supplier. I see Vyair sell MB115 as well. If MB151 was so special, why have Vyair lowered its selling price to match MB115? But don't worry, they haven't got stock of either, so price reductions are of no meaning.

It could be that MB111 would work better for me than MB115 I currently use. But I'm happy with the performance of MB115, so I stick with it. A 25 litre bag lasts me 4 years, so if MB111 didn't work, I have a lot of wasted resin.

Back