Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Payload question for 725 litres

WCF

Help Support WCF:

John Walton

Hi I'm buying the 725 water tank r.o system.  I was wondering what van to buy? What payload would I need? Would it be ok in a vauxhall vivsro?

Screenshot_20210803-190630_Google.jpg

Its the two man 725 litre system

A 750lts tank full of pure in a bolted in frame will be something like 830kg, plus 2 reels, 1 or 2 leisure batteries (50kg) poles, 2 people (100kg each?) etc.

I would guess you need a payload of 1200kg minimum!

If you think you might get into Pressure Washing and or gutter emptying then you will probably need more payload as well. 

I can tell you that with 850L delivery only, full tank of fuel, 2 ‘average’ guys and some basic trad tools and safety cones my dispatch was 450KG over payload on the weighbridge. The payload of the dispatch is 1200. Sometimes it’s better not to know!

Last edited by a moderator:
Another thing to bear in mind is you may not need to include your own weight in the payload limit. Vauxhall I believe give an allowance for this and the weight of a tank of fuel. I've got a combo and that's the case with this anyway 

Touch and go with the 2900 but should be ok in the 3100. With the frame, R/O, filters, booster pump, 2 hose reels, fuel etc plus 2 average size people you would be pushing the limit.  
If I got the 2900 but just put in 650 litres of water with a friend in the van, and just two poles would that be ok? It was just cheaper to buy the 725 facelift in the end, and wanted the r.o system with it. I don't have to fill the tank.

If I got the 2900 but just put in 650 litres of water with a friend in the van, and just two poles would that be ok? It was just cheaper to buy the 725 facelift in the end, and wanted the r.o system with it. I don't have to fill the tank.
The only way to get an accurate answer is to go to the weighbridge. No one on here is going to tell you anything concrete. I think a lot of people would be surprised to find out they’re over payload. The chap by me told me that the police don’t really bother dragging people to the weighbridge anymore. He said he hasn’t seen them in over ten years and their own bridge is overgrown and out of action. Once you take yourself to the weighbridge it’s in the back of your mind for good though!

If you take my real world example, the new dispatch has one of the best payloads of a medium sized van (1186KG) I was 450 over. That’s with 2 lads each weighing around 100 kilos, 2 electric reels, 2 safety cones, one double extension ladder and a little bit of trad kit. I’m now down to a 650L tank but I’m still potentially 250 over.

If the worry isn’t something you can live with then just get a 500L set up or a bigger van like the Citroen Relay. Also worth considering in the worst case scenario will your insurance company accept that you weren’t fully filling the tank. If you were buying new the supplier would have a duty of care to you and other road users and therefore wouldn’t supply you a 750 tank.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi I'm buying the 725 water tank r.o system.  I was wondering what van to buy? What payload would I need? Would it be ok in a vauxhall vivsro?

View attachment 25269

Its the two man 725 litre system
I think the best van for the job considering all the other kit you'll be carrying such as signs, poles, reels, yourself and so on would be an Iveco turbo daily

Wouldn’t it have been better to buy the van first. Then a system that fits the van. It certainly would make more sense to me. You do need to think about it though, you don’t want to be over payload, firstly in case you have an accident , your safety comes first and secondly it could void your insurance. Hope all goes well. 

A 750lts tank full of pure in a bolted in frame will be something like 830kg, plus 2 reels, 1 or 2 leisure batteries (50kg) poles, 2 people (100kg each?) etc.

I would guess you need a payload of 1200kg minimum!

If you think you might get into Pressure Washing and or gutter emptying then you will probably need more payload as well. 
Great point Ched,

Then when you exceed your Payload that doesn't mean that you can tow a trailer with the extra kit in it.

I've done thousands of miles over many years with a 650l tank with R/O etc in a Vivaro. The van handled it no problem and did so for 8 years. However if I was overloaded or not I don't know as me and @Master Jedi Alejandro had this discussion. I think there are the likes of the bulkhead and spare tyre to be included. All I would say is, I think the 1.5l Vivaro is underpowered and try and find a weighbridge when all the gear is in.

For an example I have a 800l tank in a 3500 Ducato and with it full and electric reels and everything in it I was only 30kgs off the limit. Now I freely admit that I'm probably equivalent to 2 average men but it still surprised me as the payload is circa 1600kgs.

Back